Logic 10.4.3 Update

logic8mine

Maybe I should post this in a seperate thread, but since it affects version 10.4.3 I'll post it here.

Here's my "problem". I'm a long time Logic pro and kontakt user. Ever since I've updated from version 9 to X, every time I'm using the "save as.." command kontakt would re-load all it's samples. Very annoying when you are working with a lot of big kontakt libraries, and especially if you use "save as..." to save different version.

So when I updated to 10.4.2, I was very supprised to see that the "save as..." functions worked again like it did in the old pre-version X days. So no re-loading of the kontakt samples. Yay! Until iI updated to 10.4.3, the re-loading of samples in kontakt when using "save as" was back again :(

Does any of you guys noticed this too? I coudn't find anything on the interwebs about this.

PS. I know I could use the "project alternatives" way to save different versions, but I don't find this very convenient, since I don't have a clear overview of different version I've saved

what are your expectations next update ? 1 month left

My "wishlist":

Audio Effects feature implemented the same way it's done in Ableton

Session View like in Ableton

Enhancements to Drum Machine Designer (more user friendly and less clunky)

Updates to all EXS24 and Ultrabeat (and all of the other plugins that have not been updated)

i'd like to name track stacks when i create them, not after, and have zoom in always zoom to where the playhead is. would be great (but i know this won't happen) if i could delete 80% of the default synths & plugins since i don't use them. also (santa, if you're listening), command-z should work for everything (outside of, of course, 3rd-party plugins).

What so special about Ableton's audio fx and/or session view?

Session View - for intuitive live loop performance/ live performance in general. Garageband already has this feature. All they need to do now is port a more robust version of it into Logic.

As for Audio FX rack, I really like how you can very easily re-route the signal flow of the FX chain within the chain itself. You can't replicate this in Logic, at least to my knowledge. The closest I've come to is Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork plugin.

My "wishlist":

Audio Effects feature implemented the same way it's done in Ableton

Session View like in Ableton

Enhancements to Drum Machine Designer (more user friendly and less clunky)

Updates to all EXS24 and Ultrabeat (and all of the other plugins that have not been updated)

EDIT: 1 more thing: An update to MIDI Transform = provide a more flexible way to organize User Presets and raise the current key command allocation for User Presets to 99 from the current 30.

- All zoom issues fixed. There's plenty of them.

- "Play additional pre-buffering" fixed. During the last days, this annoyed me to no end (see dedicated bug report thread for further details), rendering DKD rather useless in many typical (for me at least) situations.

- Track Stack "master region" operations working. As is, they don't work at all, even resulting in potential data loss.

- Waveforms and MIDI content displayed on regions even if you're zoomed far out vertically (as a switchable option). From all I know, ProTools does that a lot better.

- "Capture Last Take as Recording" finally fixed. PLEASE! One of the greatest features of all times completely messed up with LPX (even more than in LP8/9, which was horrible already).

- DMD ditched in favour of an updated Ultrabeat deserving the "ultra" in its name.

These would make me extremely happy already. And I wouldn't even need an Ultrabeat update to still be pretty happy.

There's some bigger wishes, but I doubt they'll ever happen. But I'd really like to see some more modular audio routing options, allowing me to route audio paths any way I like (kinda like an environment for audio). I'd like to be able to use things such as parallel inserts straight on tracks, not having to use track stacks, busses or whatever.

And as a guitarist, I'd like to see improved amp models. All the gainier stuff is just plain horrible, there's no noisier and less dynamic simulations pretty much anywhere on the market. Has been like that with GAP already, zero improvements with Guitar Amp Designer, compared to the quality of most other plugins coming with Logic, these fall extremely short. But I'd rather like to see them concentrating on other core issues before that.

As I was working on some music today, I thought of another thing to put on my wishlist: Summing Stacks within Summing Stacks.

Yes please. As is, if you want an return to be nested in a track stack, you gotta create one, do the "create track" thing in the mixer, move it into your track stack and re-assign it's output. Doable but rather cumbersome. Especially with larger drum recordings, when you usually have several mics just for the kick and snare, it'd be cool to be able to put them into "sub track stacks".

However, I'd vastly prefer the master stack region issues to be adressed first...

my whis list:

Realistic Waveform Envelope GUI all FAdes

Fade short cuts

Batch Fades (Save/Load Fade Preset)

Region Gain on Region (without Region Float window)

Bounce in Place Multiple at time each one separately (ctrl+B )

Selection-Based Processing Realtime each Clip (No Process - No render (Like Samplitude Pro Object Editor)

Macro Features

DDp Export

Better Time Strech Algorhythm ( I would like to see Zynaptiq ZTX pro for All Realtime internal Operation)

Audio Alignment

Chord Track

VR Audio

Dolby ATMOS Panner

Dolby ATMOS Support

Dolby ATMOS Panner with IPad Logic Remote

Wwise&Logic Integration For Game Audio

Auto Track Name Detect for VSL Vıenna Ensemble Pro Server Slave Insturments

Fast GUI

as a guitarist, I'd like to see improved amp models. All the gainier stuff is just plain horrible, there's no noisier and less dynamic simulations pretty much anywhere on the market.

As a non guitarist, I've always wondered about this particular elephant in the room. I could reliably pull a better tone from my trusty old Line6 POD 1.0. But tastes may vary. Sascha, what would you recommend today for a decent ITB guitar tone ?

And to stay on topic of this thread about the 1.4.3. update, apart from EVERYTHING, I triple-wish for multiple videos freely movable in the Arrangement for the next update. This is a must when working in advertising, film scoring and creative audio post.

Region Gain on Region (without Region Float window)

Yes please. But actually, I'd like to see this being expanded (and it's a longtime wish of mine, reaching back to over 15 years ago already).

I guess it's safe to assume that any such region based volume edits are a kind of "offset" from the main volume of the track. In other words, even with some automation/region-gain going on, we still want to have overall volume control of the track. And we all know what a PITA it still is to properly control overall volumes once there's some automation happening. It's also the reason why it's tough to use automation for creative (rather than just mixing) purposes.

This could all be adressed with a second class of volume "objects". Could be something defaulting to "all the way up" and would then offer two things:

- Permanently available handles for regions.

- An additional knob, fader, value box or whatever on the channel objects in the mixer. Make it a second fader so one could switch between the "stock" fader and the region based one. Or whatever - there'd be some ways to skin this cat.

With that, it'd work pretty much anywhere (on both MIDI and audio regions, even for external instruments, in case you'd route them into Logics mixer) and would be accessible in both your arrange and the mixer. And your overall volume control would never be affected.

I guess it's safe to assume that any such region based volume edits are a kind of "offset" from the main volume of the track.

Not at all. Two entirely different things.

- Region Gain determines the volume with which a Region plays into your plugins.

- Track Volume (as set by the fader and controlled through Region/Track Based Automation) sets the volume which which the processed audio from that channel/bus hits the mix bus, which means that plugins on the track are unaffected by it.

As discussed earlier, there's ways with Apple or third-party macro software to have key commands for Region Gain which gives you great control right now.

As a non guitarist, I've always wondered about this particular elephant in the room. I could reliably pull a better tone from my trusty old Line6 POD 1.0. But tastes may vary.

Sascha, what would you recommend today for a decent ITB guitar tone ?

First off, until I made the switch to LPX (which was just more or less recently), I only used external modeling for my guitars (in my case mainly an Atomic Ampli-Firebox, which is excellent), simply because the interface I used with my old computer was delivering too high latencies for proper software audio monitoring. Hence, I'm still searching for myself - so my answer probably won't be all that valuable (and I haven't purchased any of the bigger things yet).

So far, I'm getting good results out of the following:

- Ignite Amps "suite". They're coming with a bunch of stomp boxes various preamps, a dedicated power amp sim (which is quite cool) and an IR loader (but I'm using Space Designer for that). You will need to know a bit about how to do guitar sounds in real life, though, there's no instant gratification via presets or anything. Generally they're probably aiming more at a heavier tone (which isn't my thing) but with some additional tweaking, it's really flexible. Unfortunately, I'm getting occasional crashes, fortunately the "load auto-saved project" function was working fine for me in these cases. Yet, I probably wouldn't use this with clients present (which is really too bad...).

- BIAS FX lite (they gave that away for free 2 weeks ago), I'm actually considering the full version. Seems to have lots of "transient impact", which I like a lot and which is something *many* modelers (regardless whether it's hard- or software) suffer from. The full version should also be nice for instant gratification as they have a patch cloud thing going on. Unfortunately, the plugin is rather slow-ish on load and tries to call a whole amount of net adresses - not as bad as it seems, they're using this for bug tracing, but it's defenitely slowing the thing down a bit when you call it up (besides, I don't want anything to call home or whatever - but then, Logic is doing that anway).

- LePou amps. Again, mainly targeted for higher gain sounds, but you can use them for other things as well. Free again.

- Amplitube. I got a small bunch of amp models (it's a modular purchase system) with my StealthPlug mini USB interface years ago and they're still updated (which is a nice thing with IKMM, really, you can still use products you got around 10 years ago for zero update charges). There's a free version as well. Pretty decent Marshall tones that go along fine with pedals (real and virtual) and such. The clean amps are really good, too - their Fender incarnations are pretty well respected (but for clean stuff, Logics GAD is quite decent). They're cab/mic section is pretty good.

- Wagner Sharp preamp from Nick Crow. I only detected this recently and just love it. As it's a preamp only I'm running it through the poweramp from Ignite Amps, followed by Space Designer using some proper cab IRs. Goes from mellow crunch all the way to pretty much heavy drive. A little more "forgiving" than, say, BIAS FX, but still working great with guitar volume and a lot of fun to play.

- Kazrog "suite". Bought that on sale, quite some decent models among them. Unfortunately, CPU usage is pretty high and they're adding 0.7ms of latency (not a drama, but as we all know, these things may add up, depending on whatelse you're using in the signal chain).

- Guitar Rig (still on 4) for FX. Their amp models are nothing to call home about, but the pedals are unique, plus they're offering wicked things such as using input level as a modulation source, which allows for some pretty weird things. Defenitely a one of its kind in that regard.

I still want to evaluate Scuffhams S-Gear (which is getting really fabulous reviews and has some promising sounding demo sound files), but I need to do that when I really have some time (it's a two weeks full function demo). Same goes for Line6s Helix Native - a bit expensive, but I may go for the hardware unit one day, which is 1:1 identical, so that would be a huge benefit.

Fwiw, apart from the initial dynamics, which need to be spot on, IMO *the* key thing to really make these things work well is having a bunch of quality cab/mic IRs around. Makes up for around 50% of the final result (and the cab modeling is exactly what made older units sound cheesy, quite some of them still sound useable when sent through a decent cab IR). Unfortunately, there's gazillions of them around by now. For a start, I'd recommend using the free ones from Ownhammer and Redwirez, they'll give you a good taste of how different things will be with different cab IRs (in case you didn't know already).

Oh my, this is getting long - we could possibly continue this in a dedicated thread...

And to stay on topic of this thread about the 1.4.3. update, apart from EVERYTHING, I triple-wish for multiple videos freely movable in the Arrangement for the next update. This is a must when working in advertising, film scoring and creative audio post.

Heck yes please. I am defenitely *not* into movie stuff at all, but I wished for this already when fooling around with a bunch of cheesy family holiday videos.

Edited by Sascha Franck

I guess it's safe to assume that any such region based volume edits are a kind of "offset" from the main volume of the track.

Not at all. Two entirely different things.

- Region Gain determines the volume with which a Region plays into your plugins.

- Track Volume (as set by the fader and controlled through Region/Track Based Automation) sets the volume which which the processed audio from that channel/bus hits the mix bus, which means that plugins on the track are unaffected by it.

Yeah, I know this - but there's no reason why the functionality I described couldn't be positioned anywhere in the signal path. In fact, it could even allow for multiple instances on one channel.