Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

I’m no DAW expert. Despite using precursors to modern DAWs, back in the late 1980s, I pretty much stopped making music with computers for a number of years and only came back in 2015 or so. Since that time, I’ve focused a lot of my musicking on iOS (and now iPadOS) but I also joined the desktop DAW world.

Buying MainStage was a major ear-opener, thanks in large part to the diversity of instruments (and the fact that it’s focused on live performance, not “production”). For a windcontroller player like me, playing music tends to be something you do with an instrument. So MS was quite fitting. (As do AUv3 hosts on iPadOS.)

Two years ago, when LPX 10.4 came out, I eventually bought the Pro apps bundle with the educational discount. My “issue” is that, in the meantime, I took a liking to Bitwig Studio. Like LPX, it supports MPE, which is pretty important for me. And I really like the extensive modulation features along with the clip-based non-linear editing. So, I haven’t used Logic much since getting it. I’d occasionally come back for a specific feature, like comping or drummer tracks or AU plugins.

Maybe 10.5 will make me switch more of my musicking back to Logic Pro X. At least, testing several of the new features and going through new training material, I must say that my sense of delight has been triggered a few times.

So I thought I’d share a few thoughts.

Of course, Live Loops are this update’s flagship feature. It’s the one which might attract a whole new category of users. I’m sure there are many LPX users already who are “Electronic and Hip Hop composers and producers”, as the AskAudio Academy overview describes 10.5’s target audience. At the same time, chances are that many people in that scene use other DAWs (or adopt a DAWfree lifestyle, since that’s a thing).

When the Live Loops feature leaked, a few weeks ago, people were quick to compare that to what Ableton introduced with Live, much earlier in this century. I’m no Ableton fan and I prefer the Logic Live Loops (L3?). In fact, I prefer this implementation over the Bitwig one.

One reason is that the visuals are actually pretty useful. More than mere GUI candy, it enhances the whole UX (my dayjob’s in UXD). You really get a sense of where things are at, the density of the content in each loop, etc. The distinction between the four loop types is as it should be (though I wish the colour-coding of Pattern Loops were more distinct from Drummer Loops).

Pattern Loops are a great addition, in this context. And the sheer number of loops available (close to 28k in my library) is nothing to sneeze at.

A major advantage Live has had is its integration with control surfaces, including Ableton’s own Push hardware. This is especially striking for a Bitwig user: though things are improving, it’s more “plug-and-pray” like Windows 95 than “plug-and-play” with a guitar.

Thing is, LPX 10.5 comes out of the box with pretty decent support for existing surfaces, like those in the Novation Launchpad line. I haven’t tried those with LPX 10.5, yet. They do sound like they’ll make for a great performance flow. (Which reminds me, maybe my Launchpad-playing nephew will be interested.)

And then, Logic Remote makes so much sense with Live Loops! Gamechanger!

Many of us, iPad musickers, keep daydreaming about first-party pro music apps on our platform of choice. Sure, LPX and MS wouldn’t make sense on the iPad without significant adaptation. Still, there’s obviously more that the iPad can do than GarageBand or Cubasis. iPad-based DAWfree workflows are amazing in AUM and apeMatrix and Audiobus. We just need more support from Apple itself. As strange as it may sound to people who haven’t used it, Logic Remote feels like it paves the way to Apple’s own music pro apps on iPadOS. One way to put it is that the experience is almost midway between GB for iPad and a full iPad version of LPX. More specifically, it captures the playfulness of GB for iPad and the convenience of multitouch gestures while getting the whole power of Logic on a desktop machine. (Since my 2012 MBP is a weaker machine than my 9.7” iPad Pro, the offboard processing is less of an advantage. Still, one could imagine how an iPad using the power of a 2019 Mac Pro would feel.)

Remix FX are a cool part of that Logic Remote experience. While they’re quite limited compared to all the AU FX we have at our disposal, they do provide a neat interface for something performative which isn’t readily available with most desktop plugins. Goes really well with a workflow where you put a few live loops together and start noodling with them on the iPad without worrying too much about the details. Somehow, it’s the musical equivalent of sketching. In fact, something I might try is converting some Remix FX automation into deeper FX plugins. Might only work with something like the filter and it might be quite convoluted.

Still, it’s fun to have a performance device for Logic Pro X.

Just sad that we can’t get the editors within Logic Remote. The new Step Editor would make a whole lot of sense, here!

Speaking of the new Step Editor, it’s rather quirky and idiosyncratic but it’s much less confusing to me than the old “Hypereditor”. And it really is pretty powerful, when you get down to it. It’s possible to quickly build some evolving patterns with chance, randomization, per-row loop length/rate, p-lock, etc. Still wish it had more features for “semi-generative composition” like a way to constrain the randomization of step order (like in Rozeta Bassline on iPadOS/iOS). Maybe that’ll come at some point. In the meantime, there’s plenty to explore.

And exploring is what I’ll do with Logic Pro X 10.5. While it’s a long weekend, here in Montréal, many places are still closed because of confinement. Nice time to give LPX a fair shake.

I’m no DAW expert....

So I thought I’d share a few thoughts...

Very useful and great post! Thanks for that!

Regarding additional functionality in Logic Remote, I'm sure it's coming. But it will come gradually, such is the Apple way to ensure things work, and work well.

Ahh, this might explain why my update fails ... I just get the working symbol going around and around for ages when I hit the update button in App Store. I run Logic 10.4.8 on High Sierra, but thought I'd try the latest ... I did do a compress logic first, so there is a zipped copy of it. However, mine will not update.

For those like me who have a patched Mojave running on machines that don't officially support it (basically machines that have no Metal graphics), Logic 10.5 generally runs *however* there are a few places that use Metal to draw, and will therefore crash Logic hard if you try to use.

These are the panels that use the routine com.apple.mainstage.workspace.draw, which uses Metal rendering to draw. So far, the places that use this are:-

- The DMD controls panel (which is a variant of the Smart Controls)

- The Smart Controls panel (when displaying controls)

You can still use DMD when it's closed (eg, pick preset kits from the Library browser), but if you open the plugin with any panel showing the smart controls, Logic will crash. If the smart controls aren't showing (eg, an empty kit), it will work, but as soon as you add a sample, the panel will be drawn and Logic will crash.

The same is true with the Smart Controls - if the panel is empty, you can open the smart controls, but as soon as you select an instrument or patch that has Smart Controls, Logic will draw them and then crash.

There may be other places that use Metal to render in 10.5, but these are the only problems I've found so far. Live loops, the step sequencer, the new sampler plugins all seem to work ok, as do the mixer and various editor windows.

This probably shouldn't be classed as a bug, as it's running on an unsupported config and Logic (rightly) assumes Metal should be there to use - but if would be nice if there was a fallback to draw as previous Logic versions did if Metal failed for some reason) - then Logic wouldn't crash under these conditions.

What about this...adjusting plugins on selected tracks at the same time...?

For example: setting EQ for L + R channel strips at the same time, instead of adjusting one and copying over...

why not just use a stereo channel? one eq, compressor... whatever, for the sound; better integrity, no phase issues...

For example: setting EQ for L + R channel strips at the same time, instead of adjusting one and copying over...

why not just use a stereo channel? one eq, compressor... whatever, for the sound; better integrity, no phase issues...

this.

I record stereo pairs on stereo tracks since a while ago.

if i get them dual-mono, i merge them to stereo files before mixing.

Started my first project in 10.5 today. What I really liked are the small things:

- Dedicated KC for the 2 quantize values I use most

- KC for doubling or halving the cycle zone

- The Go To Position that works without pressing Enter twice(but it will probably be broken again in 10.5.1 :lol: )

- Quick Sampler!!

- Option-clicking on the Group slot to select all members

- Hi rez UltraBeat, so easy on the eyes now

Blink

And if you absolutely need two mono tracks (left and right) then you can make a track summing stack and put the eq on the aux. for the stack.

man...... step sequencer is ...... just.. NOT very logic.. there are no tools ¿ to select some notes..? to repeat them....

and if you need to change the velocity why not just use the mouse select and drag up or down?

you have to select FIRST the option "velocity/value" hahaha. man.... why does apple make thing so Complicated ?.. with something very simple ? ..... why so many CLICKS ? and so many steps to do something simple ?. I just don't get it.. and you can't just select from a Midi Region.. into.. step sequencer.. it is like.. something NEW ?.. that has nothing to do with Midi ?... what about .. recording some drum midi notes.. and then use the step sequencer or.. ??.... man.. so many years waiting for this .. and APple just do it all wrong.. and complicated.. as hell.... it is NOT logic and simple.. at ALL ¡ useless.. for V-Drummers.. or programing Drums with "Points".. no tools ?.. and that thing to change the velocity of a note.. you have to do something before that?..... what what???....... to change the velocity of a "HIT" you have either choose "Velocity/Value" FIRST.... then.. use the Cmd.. while Click with the mouse?...... and.. any way forget it...... the Apple THEME for Logic Pro X lives in Mars... very complicated people.. UNlogic and Not Simple at all. 4 steps to do 1 thing....... even Fruity Loops from 2002.. is better than THIS "thing" called -Step Sequencer- it is a mess. a unfinished mess.

man...... step sequencer is ...... just.. NOT very logic.. there are no tools ¿ to select some notes..? to repeat them....

and if you need to change the velocity why not just use the mouse select and drag up or down?

you have to select FIRST the option "velocity/value" hahaha. man.... why does apple make thing so Complicated ?.. with something very simple ? ..... why so many CLICKS ? and so many steps to do something simple ?. I just don't get it.. and you can't just select from a Midi Region.. into.. step sequencer.. it is like.. something NEW ?.. that has nothing to do with Midi ?... what about .. recording some drum midi notes.. and then use the step sequencer or.. ??.... man.. so many years waiting for this .. and APple just do it all wrong.. and complicated.. as hell.... it is NOT logic and simple.. at ALL ¡ useless.. for V-Drummers.. or programing Drums with "Points".. no tools ?.. and that thing to change the velocity of a note.. you have to do something before that?..... what what???....... to change the velocity of a "HIT" you have either choose "Velocity/Value" FIRST.... then.. use the Cmd.. while Click with the mouse?...... and.. any way forget it...... the Apple THEME for Logic Pro X lives in Mars... very complicated people.. UNlogic and Not Simple at all. 4 steps to do 1 thing....... even Fruity Loops from 2002.. is better than THIS "thing" called -Step Sequencer- it is a mess. a unfinished mess.

I agree with you. He will draw drums faster in the region than he will program in a step sequencer.

I do not understand the philosophy of this solution. I like the drum editor in studio one or cubase.

Started my first project in 10.5 today. What I really liked are the small things:

- Dedicated KC for the 2 quantize values I use most

- KC for doubling or halving the cycle zone

- The Go To Position that works without pressing Enter twice(but it will probably be broken again in 10.5.1 :lol: )

- Quick Sampler!!

- Option-clicking on the Group slot to select all members

- Hi rez UltraBeat, so easy on the eyes now

Blink

Dedicated KC for the 2 quantize values I use most .Where is the function ?

Live Loops is really cool but very problematic with big templates. it is working extremely slow on my ~700 tracks template. If there is even a single Cell on the grid, unhiding all tracks takes sooooo many seconds no matter if you are on Grid or Tracks view. These tracks and plugins are completely disabled btw.. When all the cells are empty, still Tracks View work much smoother than Live Loops Grid does.

Also, I found using Launchpad with Live Loops on big templates is troublesome. Because of track stacks, fader banks don't match the selected track so you can't view the right cells on Launchpad. And there is no way to change Channel Strip View Mode in Control Surface Setup. It is greyed out.

I was hoping to select my fav sounds from my huge but lightweight template and hide the rest of the tracks and Live Loop with them. I even programmed my Ableton Push 2 to work as Launchpad. But apparently it won't be possible until a new update especially because of the performance issue.

I've run into a couple of issues since updating to 10.5 and I'm wondering if anyone can validate or invalidate my findings.

1) I'm noticing that when I turn on Low Latency Mode, it is staying on between projects if I don't turn it off before closing the project.

So let's say I turn LLM on in a project and don't turn it off and then close that project. When I open a saved project where I had never turned LLM on, it will now be on in that project. It will also be on in any new projects I create.

I don't ever remember experiencing this before but I could be wrong.

2) I'm noticing that the fan on my late 2013 imac is kicking on way more frequently than in the past. In the past it would only come on when I was offline bouncing a huge project with a ton of plugins and it would be super loud during the duration of the bounce. Otherwise, I don't ever remember hearing it at all.

Now it seems to be coming on fairly regularly (though it is not near as loud as when bouncing a big project).

Though it seems like I've only started noticing this since the update, obviously it could be due to a million different variables and it is quite system specific.

But all the same I'm wondering if anyone has noticed more fan usage on their Mac since the update.

That's it, thanks.

Quick Sampler: I’m kinda bummed that it exposes so few parameters as automatable.

One of my goals is to be able to control sample start/end and loop points etc on the fly, but this only seems to be possible by MIDI messages, rather than automation... Disappointing...

Other than that, it’s awesome.

I was really hoping for this too. You say it can be done with MIDI messages? If you have got that working, can you explain how?

I love the new Step Sequencer, but I agree that things could definitely be improved. Being able to set the velocity of each step by dragging up and down in it, should really be the default without first having to click "Velocity" button. I would also love to see more features for randomisation, for example being able to set individual steps to "random velocity" but each with an individual Min/Max range.

I tried using the Step Sequencer to automate plugins, and automating Bypass for a plugin is not very intuitive - I expected that an On step would mean Plugin On, and all empty steps mean Plugin Bypassed, but it doesn't work like that, you have to enter steps for Bypass after the On steps, to turn it off again. Not very slick, and not very clear visually.

I was really hoping for this too. You say it can be done with MIDI messages? If you have got that working, can you explain how?

Those parameters are available in the modulation matrix, so they can be controlled via MIDI CCs or any other modulation source.