Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

this is how it's always been; logic changes, and developers (hopefully) catch up.

I seriously hope that one day, developers won't do that anymore. As a user, I'm having way more than enough of Apples snotty attitude to permanently break things for no reason. And this is the second time in just a few months (first Catalina, now Logic 10.5).

this is how it's always been; logic changes, and developers (hopefully) catch up.

I seriously hope that one day, developers won't do that anymore. As a user, I'm having way more than enough of Apples snotty attitude to permanently break things for no reason. And this is the second time in just a few months (first Catalina, now Logic 10.5).

really? you mean, apple isn't trying to improve things, move forward? seems more realistic to me than a decision to 'permanently break things for no reason'.

LX 10.5 is full of new features, enhancements, bug fixes. etc. do these changes sometimes break something else? of course, it's always that way. software developement is more of an adventure than an exacting, finite science; hence the endless point fixes to the OS, to apps (not just apple's apps). it's always a work-in-progress...

My biggest frustration with the new plugins is attempt to find specific voices in the plugins' menus.

In exploring Alchemy, I came across a curiously named voice called "choir-female-mm-oo-ah-eh. The name inplies that it's a hybrid voice of some kind, yet when I tried it out, I only heard the "ah" voice, which suggests further questions. Do some of these voices use key switches, or some other articulation selector, for selecting which version of the voice is to be presented? How would I find how to activate a certain version?

In exploring Alchemy, I came across a curiously named voice called "choir-female-mm-oo-ah-eh. The name inplies that it's a hybrid voice of some kind, yet when I tried it out, I only heard the "ah" voice, which suggests further questions. Do some of these voices use key switches, or some other articulation selector, for selecting which version of the voice is to be presented? How would I find how to activate a certain version?

I think you'll find that particular patch is velocity-sensitive.

You can also always try the modwheel to hear what that does - many Sampler patches use modwheel to change articulations.

really? you mean, apple isn't trying to improve things, move forward?

Of course they are. But that moving forward quite often isn't because they want to improve things for their users but rather fill up their bank account. Catalina is a perfect example for that. You don't become the worlds most successful company in capitalism without any such tactics. But we should rather not discuss that here.

But that moving forward quite often isn't because they want to improve things for their users but rather fill up their bank account.

Bias works both ways. If they were as greedy and money motivated as you imply, they'd be charging for Pro App updates.

(They don't, because they can afford not to, and there are some other good business reasons why - but they could just as well be charging small amounts for updates rather than nothing and bringing in enough upgrade revenue to pay their dev teams salaries for another year or two...).

Catalina is a perfect example for that.

Because they are intentionally stripping out old legacy features so they can build future platforms (eg ARM chips) without having to be tied-down by supporting a bunch of 20 year old legacy code?

You don't become the worlds most successful company in capitalism without any such tactics.

Sure, they are quite aggressive in business terms. But everytime the conspiracy theories ("Oh, they're intentionally slowing down my old phone to make me buy a new one") are proved dumb and wrong every time... *sigh*

Still, some people *love* a conspiracy...

really? you mean, apple isn't trying to improve things, move forward?

Of course they are. But that moving forward quite often isn't because they want to improve things for their users but rather fill up their bank account. Catalina is a perfect example for that. You don't become the worlds most successful company in capitalism without any such tactics. But we should rather not discuss that here.

and yet you're discussing it here. catalina is (mostly) fine here (as previous oses were mostly fine). are you saying that moving to a fully-64bit architecture is a 'tactic'? i have no idea how an OS is a tactic. it's just, as with every previous mac OS, the next step in an unending process.

plus, show me any corporation that doesn't aim to make money, then more money... isn't that what businesses do?

anyway, what you believe, without factual evidence is just... what you believe. 'my feeling is', 'here's what i think, despite any concrete evidence'... so much of this in the world. anyway, i won't say any more about this.

Because they are intentionally stripping out old legacy features so they can build future platforms (eg ARM chips) without having to be tied-down by supporting a bunch of 20 year old legacy code?

Not at all, but because they require installers to be updated to stand their new notarization "feature".

Are there any other pre-configured grids for Live Loops somewhere, perhaps accessible from the Library or elsewhere inside a session, besides the handful of starter grid templates presented at the beginning of creating a session? I'm asking because GarageBand iOS has many other genres to choose from when first creating a Live Loops grid (Rock, Electro Funk, etc). LPX 10.5 has a handful, but almost all of them are in the Hip-Hop/House genres. I'm just trying to see if more are available as is the case in GarageBand.

Control-click in the LL grid (on an empty space) to open a pop-up menu, then choose New Pattern Cell.

This opens the Pattern editor.

On the left there should be a Library Pane with Pattern and Template folders...have you discovered all of these?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I control-clicked an empty cell but "New Pattern Cell" was not one of the options. My options are Add Audio File, Create Cell, and Record Into Cell. So I went ahead and went into the Library to see what it brings up, and my options are related to channel strip settings, as opposed to Live Loops templates.

About a companies “tactics”. If a company doesn’t have a good business model they will go under and no longer be able to provide a product. Apple could charge a lot more for logic or charge for updates OR they can attempt to grow their customer base with new features that new customers might want. The new customers are paying to keep logic alive and have kept us from having to pay for an update in seven years. I welcome new features I won’t even use if for no other reason.

I don't believe that's possible, no.

Ahhh ok so I will have to set the notes manually to reflect the key

Thank you

If you set the key signature first in the transport bar, then create a pattern region, it seems to create rows in the step sequencer with notes corresponding to that key.

Ahhh ok so I will have to set the notes manually to reflect the key

Thank you

If you set the key signature first in the transport bar, then create a pattern region, it seems to create rows in the step sequencer with notes corresponding to that key.

Ahhh yes, I just tried it and you are correct but, once you set it, it maintains that scale when opening new tracks in the Step Sequencer even if you change the project key

However, if you change the key, then create a New Track, it will populate the new track's instrument with the new key

Control-click in the LL grid (on an empty space) to open a pop-up menu, then choose New Pattern Cell.

This opens the Pattern editor.

On the left there should be a Library Pane with Pattern and Template folders...have you discovered all of these?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I control-clicked an empty cell but "New Pattern Cell" was not one of the options. My options are Add Audio File, Create Cell, and Record Into Cell. So I went ahead and went into the Library to see what it brings up, and my options are related to channel strip settings, as opposed to Live Loops templates.

Control-click an instrument track in the LL grid.

Is anyone else constantly forgetting or not realizing that the transport is still running after stopping Live Loops? This is driving me mildly mad. I would love to see ONE key command that stops all live loops, dequeues all live loops, and stops the transport. It seems you can't do all of that in one action. I tend to use the the stop button in the bottom-right, or Option-Return as a natural go-to while using Live Loops, and then I realize 2 minutes later that the Transport is still running. Must have happened 6 times yesterday. I guess I'll eventually get used to having to do 2 things to get to where I want to be.

This is what I see when I control click an Instrument track in the LL grid:

You're control-clicking the track header. Try to control-click a cell.

Hi David,

Control-clicking a cell is the first thing that he suggested that I do - I tried that and did not see New Pattern Cell, as he indicated. Then he suggested to me to control-click on the actual track itself, assumedly the header, based on how he worded it. So I've done both, per his suggestions. I can't find this New Pattern Cell action anywhere.

Control-click a cell on a software instrument track.

A-ha. Thank you David, now I can see it.

That doesn't give me what I was after, unfortunately. The list of options that @oscwilde refers to are all Step Sequencer scale templates, not Live Loops templates.

As a workaround for now, I've just imported all the other LL templates from GarageBand iOS into LPX. I'd love to see some new ones in those other genres though!