Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

1) I'm noticing that when I turn on Low Latency Mode, it is staying on between projects if I don't turn it off before closing the project.

Low latency mode is a Logic preference, not a project level parameter. It's status is independent of projects, and not saved to them.

It seems like the "fix" with reinstalling the Presonus FaderPort Classic control driver each time Logic has updated finally is broken, as the unit is not reckognized! I removed the FaderPort as control surface in Logic, added a HUI and reassigned the input/output to the FaderPort and the unit again is operational.

1) I'm noticing that when I turn on Low Latency Mode, it is staying on between projects if I don't turn it off before closing the project.

Low latency mode is a Logic preference, not a project level parameter. It's status is independent of projects, and not saved to them.

Ok, I thought this might be the case but had never noticed until now for some reason.

Thanks.

Beside of the nice new features. I'm still a bit scared of installing the new update. Are there any known issues?

It's been out for, like 20 minutes. No, there are no known issues (yet).

Give it at least an hour or so, for goodness sake! ;)

The Quick Sampler is a tool I so wanted in Logic I was thinking about making it myself... now it's right there in 10.5!

Hi Des,

I am eager to learn more about LPX, I started on a pc, the company Emagic owned Logic then.

Emagic Logic Audio Platinum 5.5. This was the last version I could before Apple got hands on LPX. :)

Still, there is so much to learn for me.

May I ask: can you please shar what it is about the Quick Sampler that excites you so much?

Maybe these are handy things I can use as well.

Thanx.

RadiusSound

May I ask: can you please shar what it is about the Quick Sampler that excites you so much?

Many reasons, but primarily it makes working with sample content *much* easier and faster.

Prior to this version, using sample material in general was really tedious in Logic. You have a folder full of assorted drum loops you want to play with? What do you do with them - bring them into the arrange window, open it in Logic's editor, analyse transients and mess around to get them in time with your project, then maybe create a sampler instrument from the sliced loop - this took some minutes of effort before you could even start to play with the loop musically. Not exactly conducive for on-the-fly in-the-moment workflow.

Now - drag the loop onto the arrange track, pick Sampler -> Optimised, and you have a sliced, mapped loop instantly matching project tempo and available for playing. Don't like it? Drag the next loop in. It takes a second of no-effort to get to the stage it took minutes of effort to get to previously.

Plus you have a nice sample waveform you can easily select from, drag start/end/loop points around, and a ton of features that have come from Keymap Pro, a tool I rely on heavily for sample creation/editing as it was so far advanced over Logic's EXS Editor (did you try to use that in the past for creating multisamples? Ugh..).

Another scenario - let say I have a bunch of single samples from old samplers - Mirage, Fairlight, EII etc - any old source. Now I can just drag those wavs into Quick Sampler, and I have a playable looped instrument basically straight away, which I can then use the envelopes/filters etc to shape into something nice and playable with the minimum of effort and time-wasting.

These are all things I wanted the Quick Sampler for, and it really delivers (apart from the automatable parameters, I really really hope they add that, as I need it for my control workflow - I don't want to resort to sub-optimal workarounds...)

10.5 seriously makes Logic attractive again for those workflows that involve doing *anything* with samples, imo.

Well since you are on 10.5, maybe time to stop using old terminology like “arrange” :)

Hey, I still want to call "MIDI Regions" *Sequences*, as that's what they are, and in no way are they analogous to audio regions, which actually *are* regions onto a larger audio file.

Changing terminology is a constant battle, especially to us old-timers..! :wink:

Hey, I am 71 and I have used Logic since 1.0 :)

I can better you in years used for this code - C-Lab Creator, then Notator, then Logic 1.x -> Logic 10.x - but I don't quite reach your lofty status in years *lived*, at least... :oops: 8-)

I meant "old-timers" in the former sense though.

(And yes, apparently from time to time the devs still come across old Atari routines in the Logic codebase...)

For those that need links to the manual for Logic Pro X 10.5:

Online manual (new format):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/welcome/mac

That page also contains links to PDF downloads, and iBooks links:-

PDF:

Logic Pro X User Guide: Download the PDF | Go to Apple Books

Logic Pro X Instruments: Download the PDF | Go to Apple Books

Logic Pro X Effects: Download the PDF | Go to Apple Books

finally - the PDF manuals are actually there. Thanks!

The online manual, accessed through the Help menu, is much better behaved than previous versions. I tend to keep the Help Viewer open (minimized to the Dock) all the time. NB

'defaults write com.apple.helpviewer DevMode -bool YES' is required to be able to control the help window reasonably.

Same help is available in Logic Remote (iPad only) with automatic switching to the area of the manual useful for your current tool/window.

YMMV

Anyone know if you can select 0 in the velocity lane in the sequencer? Seems like value of 1 is the lowest you can go. I would like 0 to get full silence on a drum hit.

A Note On has a velocity of 1 or higher, and is the minimum velocity a note can have.

A Note On with a velocity of 0 is by convention the same as a note-off.

Anyone know if you can select 0 in the velocity lane in the sequencer? Seems like value of 1 is the lowest you can go. I would like 0 to get full silence on a drum hit.

A Note On has a velocity of 1 or higher, and is the minimum velocity a note can have.

A Note On with a velocity of 0 is by convention the same as a note-off.

Did not know that. Thanks

can't you just mute or delete the hit you don't want?...

I hear what you're saying but I have a particular way of 'drawing' in my hits. I like to set all velocities on all hits to 0 and just raise the velocity on the ones I want to use. Creates more of a groove and kills 2 birds with one stone. Saves me from having to change the lane view between on/off and velocity.

With a velocity of 1, I can still hear the hit in areas where I want to hear nothing. Not what I want.

can't you just mute or delete the hit you don't want?...

I hear what you're saying but I have a particular way of 'drawing' in my hits. I like to set all velocities on all hits to 0 and just raise the velocity on the ones I want to use. Creates more of a groove and kills 2 birds with one stone. Saves me from having to change the lane view between on/off and velocity.

With a velocity of 1, I can still hear the hit in areas where I want to hear nothing. Not what I want.

which leaves you with the option of deleting the hits you don't want to hear, ie delete all the hits you have at a velocity level of '1'...

If you just draw in all hits and then use velocity to ‘activate’ some of them, how do you get a visual representation of your pattern? Seems like an unusual work flow for using a sequencer.

this.

but, one of the great things about software tools (and other tools, i guess), is using them the way you choose (for example, i like using hammers to play drum pads) 8-)

which leaves you with the option of deleting the hits you don't want to hear, ie delete all the hits you have at a velocity level of '1'...

That is precisely the solution I'm using:)

If you just draw in all hits and then use velocity to ‘activate’ some of them, how do you get a visual representation of your pattern? Seems like an unusual work flow for using a sequencer.

Pretty easy to see the contrasting green shade as you raise the velocity. Give it a try for fun! You may like the workflow.

147051346_ScreenShot2020-05-17at3_58_32PM.thumb.png.6f841193427952e5aed805cec340677e.png

Many reasons, but primarily it makes working with sample content *much* easier and faster.

Prior to this version, using sample material in general was really tedious in Logic. You have a folder full of assorted drum loops you want to play with? What do you do with them - bring them into the arrange window, open it in Logic's editor, analyse transients and mess around to get them in time with your project, then maybe create a sampler instrument from the sliced loop - this took some minutes of effort before you could even start to play with the loop musically. Not exactly conducive for on-the-fly in-the-moment workflow.

Now - drag the loop onto the arrange track, pick Sampler -> Optimised, and you have a sliced, mapped loop instantly matching project tempo and available for playing. Don't like it? Drag the next loop in. It takes a second of no-effort to get to the stage it took minutes of effort to get to previously.

Plus you have a nice sample waveform you can easily select from, drag start/end/loop points around, and a ton of features that have come from Keymap Pro, a tool I rely on heavily for sample creation/editing as it was so far advanced over Logic's EXS Editor (did you try to use that in the past for creating multisamples? Ugh..).

Another scenario - let say I have a bunch of single samples from old samplers - Mirage, Fairlight, EII etc - any old source. Now I can just drag those wavs into Quick Sampler, and I have a playable looped instrument basically straight away, which I can then use the envelopes/filters etc to shape into something nice and playable with the minimum of effort and time-wasting.

These are all things I wanted the Quick Sampler for, and it really delivers (apart from the automatable parameters, I really really hope they add that, as I need it for my control workflow - I don't want to resort to sub-optimal workarounds...)

10.5 seriously makes Logic attractive again for those workflows that involve doing *anything* with samples, imo.

Sounds great to me, going to experiment with it. Thanks.

and if you need to change the velocity why not just use the mouse select and drag up or down?

you have to select FIRST the option "velocity/value" hahaha. man.... why does apple make thing so Complicated ?.. with something very simple ?

Kinda ranty, but whatever. I think the step sequencer is pretty great...

If you want to edit step on/off and velocity at the same time, stick in Velocity mode, and command-click to turn steps on and off.

With the Step Sequencer - anyone notice any funky timing when the sequencer is playing in Preview mode (transport not running)? The timing seems wobbly here.

If I just play the pattern via the timeline in cycle mode, the timing is fine.

Yes, the timing is not solid. I have noticed it quite a lot. Hopefully they will fix that. No idea if bouncing will be more stable, but live playback is definitely not sample accurate right now.

Another thing i was wondering...does anyone know if there is a way to put a velocity ramp in there during note repeats?

This isn't all that important, and I imagine highly unlikely, but is there some fancy way (eg. using the scripter or environment) to have Drum Machine Designer automatically assign a specific icon and color based on the name of an imported drum sample file?

eg. Import a bunch of drum kit samples, anything with "SD" in the filename makes that track/pad a snare drum icon and an orange color, etc.