Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

Hi Guys, anyone knows if PDC and automation is better on 10.5 then previous versions? Dont understand why Apple haven't gave support to High Sierra users still less then 3yrs since release their update scheme shouldn't even be allowed by law.

Can you give more info about the project's last saved version, plugins used, etc. Because I'm sure there are other guys like me hesitating to update and following this topic to see possible bugs and problems.

I'll try to address this and the other questions directed to me above, sorry I don't have more time. The project I opened after update was not "old", unless you consider the save just before update "old". And let me interject that backward compatibility, to at least one version, is a must. Unless the developer states otherwise, and we can keep more than one version installed, and investigate seemless project converions later. I have no idea if that's possible, the apple upater simply updated the only copy on the Mac. The conversion mentioned was that there was some change in how automation functioned, and that the converted file would no longer function as before in older versions of the app. There are many plugins used in this project, too many to list without spending considerable time. Of course the problem could have been anywhere, including a plugin, or this new automation, or even the new automation for one of the plugins, I don't know. I really should have waited, if I run into anything I'll post it, but troubleshooting developers work is not something I cherish any more when I'm supposed to be working, except to try to contribute here, when I can. The forum has saved my sorry *ss a lot! Reverted the app, the project and various prefs etc.. from Time Machine, need to see if I'm back to normal.

it's an issue you're having, not an issue everyone's having. so something particular to your project, or a plugin, or... any number of possibilities. i opened projects from 2014, so backward compatibility is there.

anyway,is this one project? or several? if so, look for common denominators. good luck with this

If EXS24 is dead and gone - replaced by Sampler and Quick Sampler, are the instruments in the library that use EXS24 still available? I have used them in many projects.

Anything that formerly loaded in the EXS24 will load in Sampler, I'm sure. It'll just work...

Sure hope so!

Can someone please confirm that they've actually removed the following key commands:

"Go to Selection Start/End" from the Audio File Editor section and are forcing you to use the "Go to Selection Start/End" from the Global Section?

I've used different commands for both sections for 25 years, that would be a kick to the nuts.

Sorry if I missed it...but, for the new sampler in 10.5 that replaced the EXS24, are these all new samples or the same samples that were available in the EXS24? For example, would the Yamaha Grand Piano be the same sampled Yamaha Grand Piano that was available with the EXS24?

Thanks.

Sorry if I missed it...but, for the new sampler in 10.5 that replaced the EXS24, are these all new samples or the same samples that were available in the EXS24? For example, would the Yamaha Grand Piano be the same sampled Yamaha Grand Piano that was available with the EXS24?

Thanks.

yes

Can someone please confirm that they've actually removed the following key commands:

"Go to Selection Start/End" from the Audio File Editor section and are forcing you to use the "Go to Selection Start/End" from the Global Section?

I've used different commands for both sections for 25 years, that would be a kick to the nuts.

it does appear so. :/

understood, I was hoping to raise a red flag about a potential issue with 10.5, not troubleshoot, and I was asked several questions. Thanks for your input.

Sorry there's some user errors there.

First of all, disable auto update. So you can always make a copy prior to updating. I opened and continued working on several old projects.

Also, EQ is identical as it was, nothing was changed in it soundwise - except visually. You don't need to save the projects you open and are wrong. you can quit and open in an old version you could pull from your backups.

so...... if you have a midi region.. you can't select step sequencer ? you have to convert the midi region first ???????............ HAHAHAHA ¡ what ?.... those things.. that just don't make sense at all. and if you want to get back to piano roll you have to convert that midi region again?...... what ??.... come on.. where is the common sense?

sorry you cannot even convert a midi region to a pattern region.... dam.... even worst.

Edited by jimdilian

no New way to remove Effects ??? or Off Effects ? you have to select one by one.. then remove?... why not make a command or a submenu with the option to remove all off effects? or just Select the Effect and drag and drop .. to remove it at least ¡ or with a combination key? and click.. ?.. noup. nothing. new there.

and double or halve cycle loop.. should in my opinion stick the start of the LOOP cycle.. not to move the PLAYHEAD to the end.. that the only Good new thing really and step sequencer it's ok.. but man. CONVERT a midi region to Step Sequencer? .... and vice versa?... come on.

so...... if you have a midi region.. you can't select step sequencer ? you have to convert the midi region first ???????............ HAHAHAHA ¡ what ?.... those things.. that just don't make sense at all. and if you want to get back to piano roll you have to convert that midi region again?...... what ??.... come on.. where is the common sense?

Seriously? Step sequenced regions aren't MIDI regions?

uh... what? ALL my other 3rd-party plugins seem fine, it's just massive X here (and NI is already working on a fix). so, if all the other plugins are fine, it's an unexpected issue.

I think you missed the point i was making, where it would be better for us (i.e. the end users) if they put higher priority on bug fixes and ensuring major third party devs such as NI get better pre-release support so they (and we) don't have the carpet pulled under their feet 'out of the blue'.

Logic is a pro level app, many would argue that bug fixes and stability should be top of the list. I think as a very minimum companies such as NI should be allowed to test pre-release versions at the 'risk' of some information creeping out, but it shows where priorities are. Last time it was Komplete Kontrol wrappers that were broken and causing issues, for example.

Companies like NI could have had up to 6 weeks (Based on the screenshots that apple accidentally leaked) testing, for example.

While -you- only have Massive crashing there's a reason NI are having to scramble to fix the following post public release:-

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360011005678-Latest-update-of-Logic-Pro-10-5-could-crash-Massive-X-Crush-Pack-Mod-Pack-Replika-and-Replika-XT-en-us-

Plus this comment was in relation to why Logic team don't fix long standing major bugs such as the PDC issues, their updates are designed to have maximum splash, arrive out of the blue and serve as a sales spinner. It's what Apple do, and this shows an example of why it's not primarily beneficial to it's end users. Note that i never said it's the wrong or incorrect thing to do - it's just business, simply providing what i see as 'an' answer to the question posed.

Personally i think the update is great, the scope for additional bugs with the additional features is wide but they seem to have managed it very well, VERY pleased with it.

But for every you and i there's the non-tech savvy users who will auto update into problems.

Edited by skijumptoes

can you convert? a midi region to a pattern region? and vice versa?..

I had lot broken .esx files, because few years ago I had to copy samples to different drive, with different name.

I don't know if it is only me, but now all my previously broken .esx sampler instruments find automatically their corresponding samples!

I had lot broken .esx files, because few years ago I had to copy samples to different drive, with different name.

I don't know if it is only me, but now all my previously broken .esx sampler instruments find automatically their corresponding samples!

8-)

but I just find out that Logic Pro X 10.5 cannot even convert.. a Midi Region to a Sequencer Editor .. ?..

and you should not even have to... "convert" anything to anything.. just select piano roll and then select step sequencer.. and done.. but that option does Not even exists,, hahaha.. you have to start from Zero.. creating a New Pattern Region.. what ??????..... the UN-Logic of Logic Pro X.

.those.. small things that just doesn't make sense at all. something New that a lot of Us have been waiting for in Logic Pro X but is an Unfinished new Feature.. anyways..

I think you missed the point i was making, where it would be better for us (i.e. the end users) if they put higher priority on bug fixes and ensuring major third party devs such as NI get better pre-release support so they (and we) don't have the carpet pulled under their feet 'out of the blue'.

I get what you're saying, but firstly - we don't know the priority and efforts they make on bugfixes. Looking at the fixes lists historically, I'd say they work pretty damn hard on them.

Your favourite bug might not be fixed, but it might not be that easy to do with all the other things going on (some small bugs require major underlying changes which have huge ripple effects, so sometimes these things take time to get to, and work on, and integrate).

Secondly, as pro users, it makes zero sense to download and move to a brand new major .0 version of an app blindly, without recourse to keeping a known good system. I know people like to try to absolve themselves of any responsibility ("Apple broke my stuff!"), but seriously, *any* truly professional user is not going to blindly install a .0 major release over the top of their old system and start using it, and then complain if something unexpected happens. Download it, keep the existing version, watch for feedback or issues over the first few weeks of it being out in the world, try it out, evaluate, and once you're happy there are no showstoppers, *then* switch.

You could argue "We shouldn't have to do this" but I take responsibility over my own systems - I can't control Logic's development process, but I *can* control how it affects my work.

When stuff goes out into the world, no matter how good your testing, things will be uncovered, and they will be fixed. Pro users should really hang on and let those more on the bleeding edge, or where taking any small risks is largely consequence-free, or where they understand how to keep their old versions and explore the new thing without messing up their work environment. Then when it's all good, start your own evaluations...

If you own Novation Launchpad, Launchpad MK2, Launchpad Mini, Launchpad Mini MK3, Launchpad Pro, Launchpad S or Launchpad X, then there is nice surprise waiting for you in Logic Pro X 10.5 :-).

Well done Apple & Novation.

Interesting. Might finally be time for me to get my head around launchpad stuff. Although I don't need much of an excuse to buy new things, especially during lockdown!

No, they're pattern regions (or pattern cells in the live loop grid).

A pattern region is a completely different animal from a MIDI region. Unlike MIDI regions, Pattern regions contain more than only MIDI data.

Pattern regions contain:

• MIDI Notes

• MIDI Continuous Controllers

• Automation data (channel strip, plug-in, Smart Controls)

• Pattern settings (Length, Rate, Mode, Swing, Key, Quantize)

• Rows

• Each row's settings (Assignment, Rate, Mode, Loop start/end, MIDI Channel, Automation mode)

• Steps

• Each step's settings (Note Pitch, Automation Value, Velocity, Gate, Repeat, Chance, Offset, Rate, Skip, Tie)

You can consider a Pattern region to be a customized Step Sequencer along with its step sequence. In fact Pattern regions can be empty step sequencer templates ready for you to get started step sequencing.

Can you trigger stop/start of individual scenes via MIDI?

Yes, there's a key command for "Play Live Loop" that can be assigned to a MIDI command.

This will play the selected Live Loop, not individual scenes.

For that,

1. click the desired scene (so that it plays back)

2. choose menu item "Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Learn new assignment for "Live Loop Scene"

3. Hit the button on your controller (or key on your keyboard) which should trigger that scene

Repeat steps 1-3 for other scenes, to be triggered by other buttons

I get what you're saying, but firstly - we don't know the priority and efforts they make on bugfixes. Looking at the fixes lists historically, I'd say they work pretty damn hard on them.

Oh i totally agree, as i said at the end i think it's a very good update and the scope for additional bugs is huge - yet they seemed to have controlled it very well.

But the 'reason' why bugs such as the DPC issue don't get fixed is purely down to Apple prioritising bigger hitting improvements that hits websites and social media. We know everyone is expected to fall in line 'after' release, including third party developers. It's been that way for a long time.

Also, i think this 10.5 update was supposed to coincide with the new Mac Pro releases but clearly they've been having to plough through many bugs to get it out so late in the day. This is very much a delayed sales pitch for Apple, Logic and the new MP, a most welcomed one too may i add!

I guess to make what i'm saying more relatable, they'd never drop an OS 'overnight' as it would cause hysteria, same with Xcode which they run a beta program for. Surely pro level apps should have beta opt-in options, at the very least so third parties and/or end users can test in a more structured manner?

Secondly, as pro users, it makes zero sense to download and move to a brand new major .0 version of an app blindly, without recourse to keeping a known good system. I know people like to try to absolve themselves of any responsibility ("Apple broke my stuff!"), but seriously, *any* truly professional user is not going to blindly install a .0 major release over the top of their old system and start using it, and then complain if something unexpected happens

Most professional studio users i know are (admittedly ageing lol) superb sound engineers, mixers and/or musicians but terrible at tech and computer issues, as a result through fear they sit on out-dated software and when it comes to finally making a move (because new hardware, software purchase or customer file format forces it) they have to make generation-style jumps which creates much longer disruptions. At that point i normally get a call. :)

So yes, there's a very real negative effect to losing trust in public release updates by placing the risk entirely on end users. Not only are you failing to receive features for a paid product, but you're deliberately keeping your system obsolete through fear of failure, if you're interacting digitally with customers that's a whole other can of worms too.

Once you're behind, when do you jump? At what point is it clear that LPX is certified for pro use - do you just keep dipping your toes, rolling back the system etc?

so...... then........ if you have a Old Project.. with a Normal Midi Piano Drum Regions.. for Drums.. and you Want to convert that Midi Region to.. Pattern region YOU CAN'T ? what ???????.. I wonder What does Apple Logic Pro X Theme has in their MINDS ? when they do UN-Logic Things like this ??????.... hahahaha ..... amazing.... For Logic Pro X Theme.. is Always ONE STEP forward..... and 2 Steps BACK .. ¡ always with their "NEW features" hahaha.... no words.. man these guys are.. forget it.

ONE STEP forward..... and 2 Steps BACK. ¡ hahaha.

so...... then........ if you have a Old Project.. with a Normal Midi Piano Drum Regions.. for Drums.. and you Want to convert that Midi Region to.. Pattern region YOU CAN'T ?

That is correct, you can convert a Pattern region or Drummer region into a MIDI region but you cannot convert a MIDI region into a Pattern region or into a Drummer region.

I wonder What does Apple Logic Pro X Theme has in their MINDS ?

Consider that just because they have something in their minds doesn't mean that it's easy to code or implement in Logic Pro X.

Great update except for some missed bugs. However also disappointed to not be able to convert midi patterns to the sequencer. Would be incredibly useful. We can only hope this will be added in a later update.

Anyway I have a question regarding the new auto-colorize function. Where can I find this?

Funny thing, many Plug-In Settings folder are now empty but their corresponding plug-ins do show presets in Logic.

Some Plug-In Settings folders contain a number of .pst files, which oddly add up to less presets than are actually displayed inside their corresponding plug-in menu.

More problematic, the Space Designer folder is now empty and doesn't show any presets in Logic either.

Edited by 9u10m

we go in circles here often. we clamor for upgrades, new features. then, when we get them, we whine about how they're not exactly what we wanted, or they didn't fix a bug we have (and am not saying the bugs shouldn't be fixed).

my humble observation is... people generally update their software and just continue working; some undoubtedly explore new features, some appreciate tweaks & bug fixes. but there's no finite place, where everything is fixed, perfect. and most people just use their apps, they don't live on forums like this.

am happy with the new features, have much to check out. the NI thing will get sorted (and at least, for now, my massive X parts play back without issue; i just can't tweak the sounds). end of the world? hardly.

i think it's great that apple continues to support and develop logic, my main app (hoping an FCPX upgrade is around the corner, too). and it's great that we can discuss these things. this forum (at least) is far more civilized than others i visit).

have fun, be safe!