Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

I'm not sure why, the link takes me to the App Store (not iTunes) with a Mojave download:

mojave.png

I get this when I open the link with iTunes and App Store does literally nothing

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 14.28.58.jpg

how on earth do I upgrade to Mojave?

Hi, try here. Has never failed me: https://krypted.com/mac-os-x/download-older-versions-of-macos-and-mac-os-x/

billie eilish's 'open eyes' is the demo tune; predates her album, but the song that blew up on soundcloud. not planning to download the file, but a cool choice.

that, along with step sequencing, and the new drum synth; good news ppl! we'll be able to make trap beats in logic (finally)... if anyone cares (i do, actually)

EDIT: ok, am posting a lot... cool, the slicing in the quick sampler (and a whole bunch of presets come with it); will see how it compares with newsonicarts 'vice' (which i use)...

ULTRABEAT

has been retinized :D

still ugly, but now, more clearly ugly :mrgreen:

(i never use it anyway)...

but now its not a waste of time to make a skin for it :)

noticed billie eilish too.

DMD finally supports user kits. I'm going to actually use it now, can't wait!

How about legacy and old instruments such as EXS24?

1) Can I go back to the old GUI in the main window?

2) If EXS24 has disappeared, what happens if load project with EXS24, or any other replaced instruments or plugins?

3) Old projects in general, do they load in the new GUI, or old one? The new one might create some confusion in this case!

EXS24 *is* Sampler now.

No. The Sampler interface is way better.

2) If EXS24 has disappeared, what happens if load project with EXS24, or any other replaced instruments or plugins?

Any EXS24 instruments will be loaded in Sampler.

3) Old projects in general, do they load in the new GUI, or old one? The new one might create some confusion in this case!

No confusion. There is no "old" EXS24 in Logic 10.5. The EXS24 in 10.5 has become "Sampler", and is completely compatible with all previous EXS24 instruments.

EXS24 *is* Sampler now.

No. The Sampler interface is way better.

Any EXS24 instruments will be loaded in Sampler.

No confusion. There is no "old" EXS24 in Logic 10.5. The EXS24 in 10.5 has become "Sampler", and is completely compatible with all previous EXS24 instruments.

Thanks des99. Now I get it about EXS24 (hopefully things will sound the same if I load an old project).. But regarding the GUI, I was talking about the main (arrange) window! This looks like it has been changed to include these squares (loops, they are called). If I load an old project will I have the old looking tracks view, etc?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and the new look. Or is it just another window that you select? This is what I still don't get. /thanks

But regarding the GUI, I was talking about the main (arrange) window! This looks like it has been changed to include these squares (loops, they are called). If I load an old project will I have the old looking tracks view, etc?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and the new look. Or is it just another window that you select? This is what I still don't get. /thanks

Live Loops is just another feature. You don't have to use it, or even turn it on. Logic will look the same as before, don't worry.

The marketing screenshot is just showing the Live Loops new feature.

You can still use only the Tracks area as the central pane of the main window as you've always have. Or you can open the Live Loops grid instead. Or you can open both at the same time so that you can for example drag and drop content from one pane to the other. Or perform live loops triggering on top of an existing Tracks area arrangement. Or record your live loop triggering into the Tracks area.... there are many, many possibilities. But you can still work only in the Tracks area as you always did.

You can still use only the Tracks area as the central pane of the main window as you've always have. Or you can open the Live Loops grid instead. Or you can open both at the same time so that you can for example drag and drop content from one pane to the other. Or perform live loops triggering on top of an existing Tracks area arrangement. Or record your live loop triggering into the Tracks area.... there are many, many possibilities. But you can still work only in the Tracks area as you always did.

Thanks David. You put my heart at ease now :D

But regarding the GUI, I was talking about the main (arrange) window! This looks like it has been changed to include these squares (loops, they are called). If I load an old project will I have the old looking tracks view, etc?

Live Loops is just another feature. You don't have to use it, or even turn it on. Logic will look the same as before, don't worry.

The marketing screenshot is just showing the Live Loops new feature.

Thanks des99. I feel better now :)

Hmm. Great workflow improvements form EXS. But sadly it appears that there is no direct scripting in Sampler. That's something I was really hoping for - similar to what can be done in Kontakt. Sure we have midi scripter. But we can only effect Sampler parameters to the degree that we can pass control through midi events via the mod matrix. Exposing raw Sampler parameters to scripting would have opened up so many possibilities for realistically played, dynamic instruments.

If EXS24 is dead and gone - replaced by Sampler and Quick Sampler, are the instruments in the library that use EXS24 still available? I have used them in many projects.

Anything that formerly loaded in the EXS24 will load in Sampler, I'm sure. It'll just work...

Hmm. Great workflow improvements form EXS. But sadly it appears that there is no direct scripting in Sampler. That's something I was really hoping for - similar to what can be done in Kontakt. Sure we have midi scripter. But we can only effect Sampler parameters to the degree that we can pass control through midi events via the mod matrix. Exposing raw Sampler parameters to scripting would have opened up so many possibilities for realistically played, dynamic instruments.

I'm not sure this will happen. Apple's instruments don't require it, and the third-party sampler support wars were won by Kontakt a long time ago, and I doubt Apple have a desire to try and build a third-party curated instrument platform these days.