Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

Drum Kit Designer on EXS is scripted like mad. Not accessible, unfortunately.

There's certainly "intelligence" programmed into many instruments, but doing this specifically in code is different to creating a general purpose scripting engine fo the sample, which is a way bigger undertaking to design, create and support.

You never know, but I'd say an environment overhaul is more likely than a scripting engine for Sampler, but who knows?

I wouldn't have expected a Javascript MIDI Scripter plugin either, so...

For those interested, here is a summary of the videos I have up on Logic 10.5. They are all free to view, except for the last link, which is a link to a five hour series covering all the new features in depth.

What’s New In Logic Pro 10.5

New Features In Logic Pro 10.5 - Working With Live Loops

Follow along as Logic’s new ability to capture recordings when in stop mode is put to work to grab some ideas in a moment of inspiration. Smart Tempo is used to capture and preserve the tempo of the performance. A few apple loops are added before everything is brought into some empty cells in a new Live Loops Grid. Here more ideas are captured, and scenes are created as more regions populate the Live Loops grid. Finally, different bits from different scenes are captured to Logic’s Tracks Area in real-time to audition arrangement variations using contents from the various cells.

Sonic Inspiration With Powerful New Drum Machine Designer Workflows In Logic Pro 10.5

New loop slicing and output mapping are used to set up Drum Machine Designer pads from several disparate drum loops. Quick Sampler’s One-Shot mode, envelope, modulation matrix and filter controls, are used to create a topper loop. Logic’s new Step Sequencer is used to create a Pattern Region using the newly constructed kit.

Create Interesting and Evolving Melodic Pattern Regions With Step Sequencer In Logic Pro 10.5

Follow along as an evolving bass line is set up using the various row based step attributes in Logic’s new Step Sequencer. Automation is added to enhance the evolving pattern being generated. The resulting Pattern Region is brought into the Live lops grid where further variations are created and auditioned in real time.

Logic Pro 10.5 Is Here, And Apple Has Once Again Delivered A Ton Of New Features To Spark Our Creativity

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/logic-pro-expert/2020/5/12/logic-pro-105-is-here-and-apple-has-once-again-delivered-a-ton-of-new-features-to-spark-our-creativity

See many of the new Logic Pro 10.5 features demonstrated, as a short arrangement is built up. A Drum kit pattern region and a bass pattern region are quickly created using the new Step Sequencer. Drag and drop is used to set up a new Quick Sampler instrument derived from an Apple Loop. Samples are then dropped into Sampler, Logic’s brand new update to the EXS 24. An instrument is created on the fly using the new dual filter and modulation mapping features. Next Live Loops is used to add extra elements to the rhythm section. Finally, a Live Loops is performance is captured to accompany a vocal in the Tracks Area.

Logic Pro 10.5 Update Explained

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Logic-10.5-Update-Explained

Watch over five hours of in-depth tutorial videos covering all the new features.

Wow. MPV used to give out new feature vids free. Now I get restricted to 3 tutorial chapters on what used to be a free teaser? That's a little lame. Anyway, still hasn't dropped here.

They have a free one for 10.5 made by MusicTechHelpGuy. They also have another one that's a full course on just Live Loops which you need to subscribe for but the basic are covered in the free overview.

For those interested, here is a summary of the videos I have up on Logic 10.5. They are all free to view, except for the last link, which is a link to a five hour series covering all the new features in depth.

Watch over five hours of in-depth tutorial videos covering all the new features.

elik... very cool. thanx4 this!

Hello, I'm currently running High Sierra and having a hard time trying to find Mojave on apples site. They have a link that takes me to itunes usa but once I get there, Mojave is not available. Any suggestions?

Thanks

1870629133_ScreenShot2020-05-12at9_57_26AM.thumb.png.b1fcee1987a160d679e03be1c5438018.png

Edited by adavis

Wow. MPV used to give out new feature vids free. Now I get restricted to 3 tutorial chapters on what used to be a free teaser? That's a little lame. Anyway, still hasn't dropped here.

They have a free one for 10.5 made by MusicTechHelpGuy. They also have another one that's a full course on just Live Loops which you need to subscribe for but the basic are covered in the free overview.

Um, yeah. That doesn't address my point, does it? I dunno how much money I dropped there, but it stopped last year for various reasons. Anyway. The only thing I can see that will be of use to me is the step sequencer, which, I assume is a more elegant gui than the current step editor? Still, that looks strange, and behaves weirdly. I have no use for live loops and such.

Hello, I'm currently running High Sierra and having a hard time trying to find Mojave on apples site. They have a link that takes me to itunes usa but once I get there, Mojave is not available. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It shows the latest available OS for your mac.

if your mac is catalina ready, you'll officially from the app store only be able to install catalina.

everything else are tricks, which you should open another thread for :)

Um, yeah. That doesn't address my point, does it? I dunno how much money I dropped there, but it stopped last year for various reasons. Anyway. The only thing I can see that will be of use to me is the step sequencer, which, I assume is a more elegant gui than the current step editor? Still, that looks strange, and behaves weirdly. I have no use for live loops and such.

I thought your point was they don't give out new features vids for free anymore? I was saying that they do have a full free one as normal. Unless I misunderstood?

step sequencer is much better than step editor. :)

MUCH better.

Live Loops are awesome to use as "idea pads" . you can throw musical idea you like but dunno where you'll use, or alternatives of them, and play back the project and trigger them to try them out. or just keep em there - i'm super psyched about them. :)

Live Loops are awesome to use as "idea pads" . you can throw musical idea you like but dunno where you'll use, or alternatives of them, and play back the project and trigger them to try them out. or just keep em there - i'm super psyched about them. :)

Yeah, but they're just a pretty front end for the Environment's "Touch Tracks" feature underneath...

(Kidding!)

Seems like it's still based on Ultrabeat in the background.

so just a macro overlay for ultrabeat? how did you discover that?

note: STEP EDITOR is gone.

environment still looks like garbage :D

I hope they never attempt to update the Enviroment. It works, I don't care *how* it looks.

Thanks

if your mac is catalina ready, you'll officially from the app store only be able to install catalina.

Not exactly. The (official) link I shared earlier shows me a Mojave download on my Catalina Mac.

Whatever, they could as well just make this user accessible.

That will be custom internal code in Obj-C or Swift. It's a *helluva* long way between the internal code and making a safe, secure, comprehensive and performant user scripting environment...

But sure - it's just a matter of code, isn't it? :P

Edited by des99

Yeah, but they're just a pretty front end for the Environment's "Touch Tracks" feature underneath...

(Kidding!)

I'm OK with that, as long as Touch Tracks is actually working. I used to use it a lot but it hasn't worked as well in recent versions.

I thought your point was they don't give out new features vids for free anymore? I was saying that they do have a full free one as normal. Unless I misunderstood?

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding on both sides. When I went to the 10.5 intro videos, when I clicked on one, I got a pop up telling me I had 3 left, then 2, then 1. So, unless I am missing something (not out of the realm of possibility), the intro videos in their entirety are not free.

Not exactly. The (official) link I shared earlier shows me a Mojave download on my Catalina Mac.

so it does! :) my bad

Thanks

There may be some issues with Apple's update servers at the moment, I'm having a hard time getting a client's OS updated.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding on both sides. When I went to the 10.5 intro videos, when I clicked on one, I got a pop up telling me I had 3 left, then 2, then 1. So, unless I am missing something (not out of the realm of possibility), the intro videos in their entirety are not free.

Yeh there is definitely a full free one, it should have a little blue "free" sticker on the thumbnail. You might need to sign in to dodge the previews bar or maybe your clicking on a different one?

Edit - Just checked and I get the 3 preview left bar if im not logged in, once your in though its fine and I don't have a subscription.

Edited by YosserTenThousand

That will be custom internal code in Obj-C or Swift. It's a *helluva* long way between the internal code and making a safe, secure, comprehensive and performant user scripting environment...

Well, for a start, they could partially open things up. For instance, just using the EXS, it's still not possible to get properly working hihat exclusive groups without cutting off samples that should ring through - simply because the only way is to limit your voices in the group to 1 - which will just cut off any open hats in case you hit them again. and that's not even requiring any scripting (fwiw, as I'm still on High Sierra, I obviously can't tell whether this is adressed in Sampler).