Can't Uncheck or Remove Plug-ins from Plug-In Manager

Jonathan Levine

There are a couple of plug-ins I would like to not use, but whenever I try to right-click on the ones I want to remove, the "Remove" button is greyed out. I've also tried unchecking the "Use" button, but whenever I re-open Logic the settings are reverted back to use. Anything I can do for this?

I cannot delete the plug-in component in the component folder, as the manufacturer has split up one plug-in into three different types in the plug-in manager alone. For example, one plug-in component is identified as an effect, instrument, and midi-controlled effect in the plug-in manager.

Very confusing. And @des99, I cannot do that without deleting the actual portion of the plug-in I want to use.

Native Instruments has an instrument called FM8 that is split into three different plug-ins in the plug-in manager, even though there is only one plug-in component file for it.

There’s the instrument version of the plug-in (which is the only one I need to keep), a MIDI processor version of it, and a MIDI-Controlled Effect version of it. I’ve never seen this before, but from what I’ve seen this is the case. Looks like they’ve split up the one component file into three separate plug-ins in the Plug-In Manager.

Very confusing. And @des99, I cannot do that without deleting the actual portion of the plug-in I want to use.

Native Instruments has an instrument called FM8 that is split into three different plug-ins in the plug-in manager, even though there is only one plug-in component file for it.

There’s the instrument version of the plug-in (which is the only one I need to keep), a MIDI processor version of it, and a MIDI-Controlled Effect version of it. I’ve never seen this before, but from what I’ve seen this is the case. Looks like they’ve split up the one component file into three separate plug-ins in the Plug-In Manager.

No, you can't keep "half" a plugin, it doesn't work like that.

Plugins are not "split up". If you install a plugin, it tells the system what capabilities it has, and the system then makes it available from the correct menus. What you're asking for is a bit like saying - well I don't use the second oscillator in that synth plugin, how can I remove it from the plugin? You can't, the plugin has the features it has, you can't selectively remove bits of it.

If FM8 is installed, it will be listed in all those places because those are the features it has.

• 3 years later...

I too would like to know how to delete entries from Logic's plugin manager.

Just got a new M3 iMac and when I did the migration from my old iMac and went into logic to see what would work and what would be problematic I faced a plethora of failures.

Luckily they were all ones I could live without.

I deleted every plugin that failed from the components directory however they are all still listed in Logic's plugin manager. I cleaned the cache but all entries are still there.

Seems crazy you can't delete them. Right click shows a greyed out remove. If anyone knows how to delete them I would be really happy as right now it is a bit of a mess.

Screenshot2024-01-17at10_39_28pm.thumb.png.aa867366f68c4f12f53bdc807ea98c8a.png

7 hours ago, mts52 said:

I deleted every plugin that failed from the components directory

You checked both of the plugin component folders? (root and user)

Logic won't list plugins that aren't there, so if you did correctly remove the components (and any AUv3 apps if you have them), *and* correctly removed the AUcache, and rebooted, they will be gone.

It's not that I wan't to tell you what to do with your plug-ins, but I just felt that I had to tell you that from looking at the list in the picture, there might be some plug-ins that you could still use, if you want to. I know you said  “they were all ones [you] could live without”, which might have meant that you are just happy to see them go, but might also mean that while not essential, you still would have liked to keep some of them. If the latter is the case, I just wanted to point out that some of those run on M-series processors in other versions, at least they work for me on my M1. 

MVibrato (16.1.0 works for me, which is strange since you seem to have a later version ...)

Vital 1.5.5. works for me.

Surge has a never version that works for me.