Where have all Logic's plugins gone?

filtersequence
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi there

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who is running Logic X on a 2013 mbp. I am sorry but I have never really used Logic as am an Ableton user....however...I've been using it with my friend and I like it...

Anyway...I installed the Arturia V collection of synths on my friend's machine for her to use in Logic. The installation went well and as a complete newbie, I've managed to open up the Arturia synths on different MIDI tracks in Logic. I found the Arturia stuff at the bottom of the attached screen grab in the AU folder. But... my friend is a complete beginner  (like me) and hasn't used Logic for around 3 years. She said that there was the Logic piano for instance that we did have in a list but now seems to have gone...also I know that there should be an EX Sampler somewhere... In the attached screen grab you can see at the top of the list a piano...please note that this is the Arturia piano. Where would the Logic piano be found? She's a brilliant pianist and I'm worried I may have deleted Logic's piano somehow. The only way I think I could have possibly done this is by clicking on the Refresh List option at the bottom of this list. Her mbp is permanently connected to the internet so if I've clicked on Refresh List, will this have deleted the piano (and EX xampler) for example? Sorry about these newbie questions. Thanks in advance.

Logicpic.jpg.a471504b279ce1920c1458ce3eea94ae.jpg

• Solution

Your plugin list is fine, and it's showing you Logic's *instrument plugins*.

A piano is not an instrument plugin, it's a patch or preset that generally uses Logic's Sampler plugin as the instrument that plays it.

So to find a piano "sound", (as opposed to a piano instrument plugin), open the patch browser (not the plugin instruments list), and search through the piano categories (or just type "piano" in the search field.) This will load a piano sound that loads the Sampler plugin, the piano mapping and samples within it, and any additional effects like reverb that the patch uses to give you your complete piano sound in one go.

Note - Logic's sampler instrument plugin used to be called "EXS24", but it has been replaced with a new version simply called "Sampler". It is completely compatible with the EXS24. You can see "Sampler" in the instrument list you show in your post.

Alternatively, you can just load the "Sampler" instrument above, and then use the patch browser or plugin menus within Sampler to find and load the basic unaffected piano sampler presets. But I'd recommend loaded the Patches as above as those sounds have effects etc and will generally sound nicer to play than the raw samples.

• Like 3

Hi Des

Thank you so much for this informative reply - much appreciated.

So...there is no piano instrument in Logic...you just use sampler patches in the new version of the EX called "Sampler"... Has there never been a piano instrument? I'm just worried incase I've deleted something. My friend said she used to have Steinways and Yamahas etc...would these have been names of piano  patches she was using within the EX sampler? What Logic does do is display the names of recently used synths at the top of that list. Is it possible she saw the word Steinway as it was a patch she had used in the EXS? This all very reassuring...thank you so much...sorry just navigating around here...lost the rest of your msg...

Just now, filtersequence said:

Has there never been a piano instrument?

Not a Logic instrument per se, but there's a GarageBand instrument called "Piano" that you can access by holding down the Option key then clicking the Instrument slot of a software instrument channel strip. 

1 minute ago, filtersequence said:

My friend said she used to have Steinways and Yamahas etc...would these have been names of piano  patches she was using within the EX sampler?

Most likely, yes: 

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 2.33.24 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi Des

Yes it's now a case of getting my head round the patch browser settings and lists...like you say, load a sample up directly into Sampler as this willl have reverb etc. Somebody else has replied to this with some very useful info and diagrams...

Just to clarrify, Logic has never had its own piano (what are these called, Apple Units) but instead the EX / Sampler use patches that have been multisampled etc? No pretty fake wood grandpiano for people to stare at... but the sound is the important thing. 

Thank you very much for your help with all this... I know where to come when we have the next newbie question!

Hi David

Thanks for this screen shot - very useful...

Is everything in this list ES (Sampler) patches? Drum kit for instance...these are all samples to be used in the Sampler, it's not an instrument...Is that thing called Piano yo've selected a folder of Sampler patches containing Bosendorfer, Steinway etc...OR....is this the Garage Band piano you referred to... this is a 2013 mbp running High Sierra I think...can we assume Garageband is included here? Is it best to use the Sampler piano patches or the Garageband piano?

Many thanks

18 minutes ago, filtersequence said:

So...there is no piano instrument in Logic...you just use sampler patches in the new version of the EX called "Sampler"...

Yep!

Has there never been a piano instrument?

No, not as a dedicated Logic plugin.

I'm just worried incase I've deleted something.

I don't think you've deleted anything.

19 minutes ago, filtersequence said:

My friend said she used to have Steinways and Yamahas etc...would these have been names of piano  patches she was using within the EX sampler?

The names of Patches, or Sampler Instruments, all using the Sampler, yes.

19 minutes ago, filtersequence said:

What Logic does do is display the names of recently used synths at the top of that list. Is it possible she saw the word Steinway as it was a patch she had used in the EXS?

No, because that list is the *instrument plugins*, and as we've already said, there is no "Piano" plugin.

9 minutes ago, filtersequence said:

Just to clarrify, Logic has never had its own piano (what are these called, Apple Units) but instead the EX / Sampler use patches that have been multisampled etc? No pretty fake wood grandpiano for people to stare at...

Correct. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filtersequence said:

Is everything in this list ES (Sampler) patches?

No, these are "Patches". They could use any combination of instrument plugins (sampler, the synths, the classic instruments, the drum instruments etc), effect plugins, multiple channel strips, and the settings of all of those plugins. They are effectively "complete sounds" that use a lot of Logic's facilities to sound good.

If you focus the browser triangle on the "Sampler" instrument plugin slot, you'll just see Sampler Instruments - sampled instruments that load into Sampler directly (the browser is context sensitive, if depends on what it's "focus" is).

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

No, these are "Patches". They could use any combination of instrument plugins (sampler, the synths, the classic instruments, the drum instruments etc), effect plugins, multiple channel strips, and the settings of all of those plugins. They are effectively "complete sounds" that use a lot of Logic's facilities to sound good.

If you focus the browser triangle on the "Sampler" instrument plugin slot, you'll just see Sampler Instruments - sampled instruments that load into Sampler directly (the browser is context sensitive, if depends on what it's "focus" is).

Ahhh...thank you...I don't have Logic on my mbp but  looking forward to trying all this out..seems to make sense...thank you very much 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, oscwilde said:

Just to add to des's comment above....:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcpe9cc40af/mac

Hi OscWilde

Thank you for this screen shot - this is going to be very useful indeed as I'm a bit in the dark with some of these file structures etc...I'm seeing my friend in a couple of days so look forward to trying all this.

Thank you very much 🙂

• Like 1

A patch is basically a collection of plug-ins plus their settings, that make up a sound. For example, a patch called "distorted synth" could be a synth instrument plug-in set up to create a sawtooth with a gritty filter along with a distortion effect plug-in that has its gain turned up. 

To access the patches, make sure the blue triangle (circled in red below) points from the Library to the "Settings" button at the top of the channel strip: 

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 3.30.26 PM.png

• Like 2

Hi David

Thanks for this...I would never have known this!

I would have just said a patch in this Jupiter 8 synth is 80s strings or bass sequence etc.

Is this a Logic thing to call a patch a synth sound plus a distortion and delay effects plug in ? That to me is a synth patch plus an effects chain to modify that patch.

The word "patch" in a generic sense is typically seen as a synth sound/preset, yes.

In Logic, the concept of a "Patch" (capital P), is a whole grouping of various things that go up to make your final sound - which can simply be a synth plus it's sound, but could be eg three layered synths each with different sounds and different FX plugins on each (with the FX plugins settings), and busses with extra FX on them - it goes way beyond just a plain single synth patch (which in Logic terms, is typically a "plugin setting" - usually an "aupreset" file - a single setting for one plugin).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, filtersequence said:

Sorry but I'm coming from Ableton and finding this all new.

All software has concepts. For example, Ableton has a concept of a "Rack", which in someways is similar to Logic's Patch. While some terminology is common across DAWs, a lot of them have their own concepts, and slightly different ways of doing the same thing, and that's all part of learning the tool at hand.

It's always slow going at first while you get a feel for where everything is. It becomes second nature, of course, after a little while.

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

All software has concepts. For example, Ableton has a concept of a "Rack", which in someways is similar to Logic's Patch. While some terminology is common across DAWs, a lot of them have their own concepts, and slightly different ways of doing the same thing, and that's all part of learning the tool at hand.

It's always slow going at first while you get a feel for where everything is. It becomes second nature, of course, after a little while.

Sure, yes I see what you mean with the Rack v Patch analogy. All the stuff I've been trying show my friend I'm aware is really basic and I can do with my eyes closed in Ableton!

• Like 1