Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

Anybody knows if the new version have media browser in ?

It seems to be gone in 10.6. What did you use it for? I've never used it, not a single time, so I know that personally I won't miss it.

Same here, I never used it, but I am hoping that this is a first sign of major overhaul they are working on proper built in browser/library that Logic desperately needs.

What an irony, developed by manufacturer of OS that is running on, it could access all the bells and whistles of macOS if they want, but yet it still has the worst/clunkiest browser of all major daws. Hopefully there is an improvement coming soon (enough).

For me personally, 10.6 is not worth the effort of changing from Mojave, but I am keeping eye on future updates, while using Studio One as a primary daw for now.

It's not the patch as such, it's that Metal doesn't exist (the patch doesn't make a software version of Metal exist) - so any graphics code that requires Metal on machines without it will either fail/crash or not work properly.

The patch just let's you install and use the OS on non-metal supporting machines, it does nothing for the existence of Metal itself.

Yes in 10.5 I did my research and I knew some things wouldn't work due to Metal like Smart Controls or Drum Machine Designer. As long as I could use the EXS equivalent and record I was fine. If i pressed B (shortcut for smart controls) or tried loading in a sound to the DM Designer Logic would just crash on me. So I left those alone. But at the least I had a freaking playhead. The playhead is quite the necessary tool for workflow....

I reinstalled Logic pro 10.6 again, restarted, unplugged my 2nd monitor so my MacBook pro was in its native resolution and still no playhead.

Ok, yes, then the Playhead will not show and various other areas in Logic will not work (Smart Controls, some effects in Plugin UIs)

On contrary I'm completely stumped as this Metal is for newer macs and things just should not work with mine because of it but behold - Drum Machine Designer AND Smart controls now work with 10.6 (NOT in 10.5), but I'm left with no playhead which right about now I really do need. I would replace a lot to just have a playhead right now...

I see this thread took a bit of a turn and my 2 cents is that Apple are is really gearing to have some odd ownership over your possessions, like stuff that been on your HDD for years and since it wasn't purchased by the mac store or tied to Mac in some way its suspect for "malware" or some crap. Even though I keep backups of everything my Logic projects, iTunes music, current playlists turning iTunes into just this broad app of "Music" really screwed me over. It also add a headache in terms of collating your music in the finder since now you have different folders with exact same name! [user Name>Music>Music>]

I already knew going to 10.5 and Catalina on my ancient MacBook Pro was big, but I had no clue this App change was very significant. Different extension names for different playlists for a different Mac OS architecture for different apps - I guess I got lost in the upgrade(s) to Catalina and 10.5 and pretty much ten years of my playlists just vanished because I didnt change an extension name since apple "Music" and iTunes use different files for playlists now, go figure. Tried getting my old playlists off my older iPod, hooked it up, didn't dock and then just bricked on me. First time for that iPod to do that on me in over 7 years.

Then there's just odd stuff like opening a video that's been on my external for several years, but now since its needs VLC player to open Catalina stops me from opening it because VLC "is an app downloaded from the internet" and flags it for malware - I must go into my privacy settings and allow it every single time a vid opens in VLC, which is pretty much most vids since apparently Mac Quicktime player is very picky on what format vids it can play.

It looks like not in the cards, but is there anyway to Rollback to 10.5? It doesn't look promising, but no playhead is the just worst right now.

If those panels work ok in 10.6 on a patched machine, then they've likely added handling for this (that I hoped they'd add a fix for this in 10.5.x, as this affects me, but oh well ;) ) - presumably, if Metal is not present they fall back to another drawing method, probably the one they had in 10.4 which worked on non-Metal machines.

Our machines are old now, and technologies move on - there are advantages working with newer technologies and removing support for older things, and that's the direction Apple tend to. I'm sticking with what works for me now until maybe looking at an M1 MBP next year - which means I flip between 10.4.8 and 10.5.1 depending on what I need, and I just avoid those 10.5.x features that crash Logic on patched Mojave.

You just need to save a copy of the 10.5.1 app, or fetch it from your backups - I always keep various versions of Logic handy.

Good backups mean your data is always safe whatever happens.

If those panels work ok in 10.6 on a patched machine, then they've likely added handling for this (that I hoped they'd add a fix for this in 10.5.x, as this affects me, but oh well ;) ) - presumably, if Metal is not present they fall back to another drawing method, probably the one they had in 10.4 which worked on non-Metal machines.

Our machines are old now, and technologies move on - there are advantages working with newer technologies and removing support for older things, and that's the direction Apple tend to. I'm sticking with what works for me now until maybe looking at an M1 MBP next year - which means I flip between 10.4.8 and 10.5.1 depending on what I need, and I just avoid those 10.5.x features that crash Logic on patched Mojave.

You just need to save a copy of the 10.5.1 app, or fetch it from your backups - I always keep various versions of Logic handy.

Good backups mean your data is always safe whatever happens.

I would have backed up 10.5.1 but like I said it auto updated to 10.6 on me. I should have gotten a notification for it. It ALWAYS asks me when updating and I try to stay very aware of these things. My last back up was Logic 10.4.4, but when opening it just hangs on rainbow pinwheel. I think patched Catalina is causing this or maybe since 10.6 was on my drive before that conflicting? I tried opening without any peripherals connected and only in native resolution, also after deleting 10.6 for a third time and still just freezes up... I really wish Apple would allow us to DL older versions of Logic easily instead of only offering the "latest version compatible for your ma." and that version only. This is a prime situation why they should provide older versions to their users.

i have never seen logic (or any app, for that matter) auto-update to a new version (much less an incremental update) unless you set it up to do that. it doesn't just happen.

also, you're running a patched OS; how is apple responsible to support that? when i had my jailbroken iphone (so good), if i had a problem, i had to work it out; i knew that apple would not (and would not be expected to) support an os i intentially 'broke'.

but good luck sorting it out, am sure you'll find a way.

i have never seen logic (or any app, for that matter) auto-update to a new version (much less an incremental update) unless you set it up to do that. it doesn't just happen.

also, you're running a patched OS; how is apple responsible to support that? when i had my jailbroken iphone (so good), if i had a problem, i had to work it out; i knew that apple would not (and would not be expected to) support an os i intentially 'broke'.

I'm still trying to figure it out why it auto updated. I do have some unexplainable things happen like apps crash before even opening or random apps opening on start up. Mostly I chalked it up to Catalina Patch, but 10.6 auto has been most detrimental. Didn't want to but I do have a workload waiting on me and Im down to the wire. I ended up getting a copy of 10.5 from a friend as my backup 10.4 just wont work on my machine. Just opened 10.5, got to arrange window fine, have a playhead and somehow magically smart controls and Drum Machine Designer work in 10.5 as well. Really odd, but Ill take it! Anyway thanks for all the input.

I'm still trying to figure it out why it auto updated. I do have some unexplainable things happen like apps crash before even opening or random apps opening on start up. Mostly I chalked it up to Catalina Patch, but 10.6 auto has been most detrimental. Didn't want to but I do have a workload waiting on me and Im down to the wire. I ended up getting a copy of 10.5 from a friend as my backup 10.4 just wont work on my machine. Just opened 10.5, got to arrange window fine, have a playhead and somehow magically smart controls and Drum Machine Designer work in 10.5 as well. Really odd, but Ill take it! Anyway thanks for all the input.

glad you're back in business!

somehow magically smart controls and Drum Machine Designer work in 10.5 as well

Ok this is very strange. On a patched machine, those features call Metal which returns a null address because Metal isn't there, and Logic 10.5.x crashes.

(The whole point of the patched versions of Mojave/Catalina is to run on machines with Metal.)

There seems to be a lot of weird, unexplained and magical stuff happening on your machine - maybe it's been sprinkled with fairy dust but I can't see how this would not crash, but if that really is the case, I'd love to know what's going on here, because yours will be the only machine I've seen where Logic 10.5.x doen't crash under these circumstances.

Are you *sure* you didn't accidentally run 10.4.8 or something, instead of 10.5.x?

What machine are you running this on?

Well, new menus and GFX in 10.6 make much more sense when running Big Sur.

It feels more iOS-ish, but i'm not totally against this redesign.

Big Sur feels and looks the most different since... Probably 10.4 Tiger...

El Capitan got "flatter" but generally didn't feel so different, Big Sur feels MUCH different. The layout and UX has changed.

Finder Window for feels

1984448342_Screenshot2020-11-17at11_45_59.thumb.png.c6197bd559830e38be1b959b2f89891d.png

686324645_Screenshot2020-11-17at11_49_20.thumb.png.c0b2a0e0bf0bb3b4e76b77cd326b3c82.png

Nice. Thanks for that Ploki. Makes me want to update now. :mrgreen:

Right? I'm so conflicted… lol

Also not for nothing but I personally haven't seen any sense of the menu translucency that others showed in some photos earlier in this thread. Wonder why that is.?

everything is translucent (unless disabled in accessibility settings, then it becomes opaque)

1185876232_Screenshot2020-11-17at12_03_27.thumb.png.2b31e71ed86abc6baf8d4c3b19fc9248.png

1948488105_Screenshot2020-11-17at12_03_56.thumb.png.4f0968608d80fb84c7629fdbfe3c16b5.png

912949287_Screenshot2020-11-17at12_04_11.thumb.png.fda9b944f7a1217a1d9465b9c679d464.png

everything is translucent (unless disabled in accessibility settings, then it becomes opaque)

I hadn't thought about it before now, but it seems that people that have upgraded to Big Sur are the ones seeing the translucency. At first I thought I was that 10.6 was somehow using the effect without being on the new OS. Total duh moment.

I hadn't thought about it before now, but it seems that people that have upgraded to Big Sur are the ones seeing the translucency. At first I thought I was that 10.6 was somehow using the effect without being on the new OS. Total duh moment.

nope, this is my first screenshot taken from Catalina:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153272&start=100#p802371

Logic 10.6 in catalina is a weird mixture of Big Sur and old design cues. Frankly it makes more sense on Big Sur. It looks out of place in catalina.

Those alert dialogs are really ugly. There’s some nice design work in big sur, then there’s some stuff that just looks weird, and not in a “I’m just not used to it yet” way...

lol :D They seem to be iOS inspired. It caught me off guard a bit, gotta admit.

Also for some reason, status bars are wider... so icons can be bigger or something. only takes away real-estate. sigh

Oh you were still on Catalina when you took that screenshot? That's so odd.

Wait. No it isn't… when the hell (and why the hell) did I reduce transparency on here?

Anyway, now that I figured that out, and now that I'm looking at the same thing you are, I think I agree. Especially looking through the main menus, and not just the plug-in ones… it's a little harder to make out what you're looking at. (Maybe I did reduce the transparency on purpose, and I just forgot…)

The extra rounded window corners are super cringey to me. It just feels like things have to be inset so far from window corners when designed that way that space is wasted along the edges of the windows. But I get it, they're matching iOS, right down to the choice of angle on the iOS device screens. When I worked for a certain fruit company, I used to tell customers that would ask that I didn't expect the company had any plans to make a touchscreen computer—Steve said as much nine years ago (give or take), and they've since added the Touch Bar to the MBPs, which allows for that granular touch control option, and a laptop-like chassis for the iPads. It seemed like they blurred the lines as much as they needed to. And yet, with such large, clunky UI decisions like the window shapes, the size of Control Center, and now Big Sur's modal dialogs, I can't help but wonder if that'll be changing soon. (Especially when you factor in Apple Silicon…) Eh, topic for another day.

Those alert dialogs are really ugly. There’s some nice design work in big sur, then there’s some stuff that just looks weird, and not in a “I’m just not used to it yet” way...

I hear you. I don't find them ugly, but out of place, a little too much like "oh we to unify the UX across Apple hardware we decided to slap an iPhone screen on top of your Mac's screen". Any other reason to have buttons that are all exactly the width of an iPhone screen? I mean it's not like we're going to aim the button with our thumb while holding our screen with the other fingers.

Maybe they could keep that UI which I don't find ugly, but resize the buttons a bit to make it look more natural. IMO the buttons should be taller and narrower.

Oh well, it's not like that's going to hinder my Logic workflow, just nitpicking, but then again, Apple's UI has always been about nitpicking.

Plenty of room to click your finger mouse on those dialog options. :)

Must admit Big Sur looks really nice, i quite like padded UI's. Although don't know how it'd be on a 13" macbook when you're trying to work. Worst thing is if they head deeper into icons without labels, like many IOS apps.

"See the box with an arrow coming out of it? That's a SHARE button.. Click that and you can email the picture to your friend".

When i was younger i remember reading an article in an Amiga magazine that said eventually computers will be so powerful that they could render windows of any shape, perhaps Apple are finally rounding the corners till we get to a full circle? :)

Edited by skijumptoes