Sidechain Latency on a Bus Latency Problem still in 2022?

testdriver85

Hello, 

I have Logic 10.7.3, and the problem still exists, maybe it is fixed with a newer version?

When using a sidechain/ducking plugin (Kickstart / Vengeance Sidechain / Xfer LFO Tool) at the end of an effectchain on a bus ....

and in this effectchain is a plugin which causes latency (usually Multiband Compressors like Ozone, Vengeance MBC etc),

then the ducking effect is out of sync and useless. 

In other DAWs like Cubase this problem does not exist, as I heard.

Maybe you can give me a hint with this issue I am struggeling now for a long time.

Thanks and cheers

Chris

1 minute ago, sunbrother said:

Still a problem. For a few situations the problem was fixed and in some cases the problem was reintroduced, but we’re still waiting for a full fix to this problem.

thanks ... good to know, unbelivable it is still not fixed nowadays

• 1 year later...

Has this been fixed yet? I just encountered this error for the first time. I created a track stack for my synths, and then tried adding a stock compressor to sidechain thee vocal bus to. As soon as it plays the kick is now totally out of time. I then tried just sidechaining a single vocal track to the synth bus, but same issue. Is this the same thing you guys havee been struggling with? That you can't sidechain anything to an auxillary track/bus? Or is there a simple fix that I'm missing? When I turn low latency mode the issue goes away, but I see synth bus compressor is no longer triggering/reducing the gain. Thanks!

2 hours ago, mikeeee said:

Has this been fixed yet? I just encountered this error for the first time. I created a track stack for my synths, and then tried adding a stock compressor to sidechain thee vocal bus to. As soon as it plays the kick is now totally out of time. I then tried just sidechaining a single vocal track to the synth bus, but same issue. Is this the same thing you guys havee been struggling with? That you can't sidechain anything to an auxillary track/bus? Or is there a simple fix that I'm missing? When I turn low latency mode the issue goes away, but I see synth bus compressor is no longer triggering/reducing the gain. Thanks!

What version of Logic are you in, and are you trying to play the track stack of synths while they’re being sidechained or is this all mixing after the fact and the synths are already programmed?

4 hours ago, mikeeee said:

This wasn't the bug - it was the side chain itself that was out of time, rather than it making actual audio move. BUT I have had the exact problem you're mentioning recently. The good news is it didn't happen often. The bad news is I can't remember which session it was happening on now so I can't be of much help! I do remember wondering if it was a side-effect of fixing the original bug.

As far as I can tell, all but one use case has been fixed. The outstanding "issue" being latency compensation of sidechains with Track Stacks being played live. I think this may apply to selected Track Stacks if they go into live input mode. I'm using quotation marks for "issue" as I've never seen a DAW with robust latency compensation that actually supports that. Unless I'm mistaken, Logic's remaining issue here is more the fact that selected tracks are always in live input mode, and there's no warning a la Ableton that a sidechain is being disabled for that reason.

Edited by sunbrother

6 hours ago, sunbrother said:

What version of Logic are you in, and are you trying to play the track stack of synths while they’re being sidechained or is this all mixing after the fact and the synths are already programmed?

I have mac os monterey 12.6.8, logic 10.7.9. Synths are already mixed/programmed, evenn ffrozen on and off at times, and the i put the sidechain compressor on the track stack/aux channel, wityh the sidechain signal coming foirst from the vocal bus, and then from an individual vocal track, and i had the isssue in both instances.

8 hours ago, sunbrother said:

Oh. That issue was fixed in 10.8.0. Unfortunately it requires Ventura.

If I update too Ventura and Logic 10.8.0 my issue should go away? At this point I turn off the sidechain or even remove the compressors entirely and playback is still lagged. Only when I turn on low latency mode does it sound normal now.