Jump to content

Mapping Launchkey 3 Pads to Drum Machine Designer


Shamogi
 Share

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am trying to map the pads on my Launchkey 3 to Drum Machine Designer in Logic Pro X.

I have been following a Youtube tutorial,which shows how to do this,but the guy demonstrating it is using a Launchpad.He shows how to click on the drop down menu in DMD,click on 'learn note',then press the pad on the Launchpad to map it to the software.

I am trying to do this but on a Launchkey 3.When I click on 'learn note',the message 'Learn Input Note' appears.I press the pad I want to assign to the corresponding piece of kit in DMD,but the 'Learn Input Note' message is still there,whereas on the video it goes out.Therefore the pad has not been mapped to the programme.

Could anybody help me to achieve this?

Below is the video,,the part where he assigns pads is the second section

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's possible that the pads on your launchkey are not sending the right kind of data (note data) but for example controller data. 

To determine this: click the ⌄ symbol at the right in the LCD display, and choose Custom. You now see a MIDI input monitor (it says "No in" when you're not playing the controller). Press a pad and have a look at the type of data sent. Do you see a little note icon like this: 

note.png

Or a little controller icon like this? 

controller.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi David,

Having mapped Drum Machine Designer to the pads on the keyboard following your suggestions,they initially worked,but now when I press the first pad (which shows up as having been mapped in DMD),no sound comes out but an 'm' (for mute I guess),shows in the DMD window,and diappears when I press the pad a second time,then reappears when I press it again.The other pads,though showing up as Learned in DMD too,are not making any sound either any longer.

 

Could you please advise me on how to solve this issue?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David,

Having mapped Drum Machine Designer to the pads on the keyboard following your suggestions,they initially worked,but now when I press the first pad (which shows up as having been mapped in DMD),no sound comes out but an 'm' (for mute I guess),shows in the DMD window,and diappears when I press the pad a second time,then reappears when I press it again.The other pads,though showing up as Learned in DMD too,are not making any sound either any longer.

 

Could you please advise me on how to solve this issue?

14 hours ago, JakobP said:

You have a controller assignment made for that note, which you need to delete. Go to Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments, and then hit the pad. An assignment should get highlighted, delete it. Hth...

Thank-you for the response.I have done as suggested and the 'M' has stopped showing up.The mapped drums are flashing in the DMD window now when I press the pads,and the signal is registering on the channel strip volume meter,but there is now no sound,whereas I had sound before.Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Shamogi said:

now when I press the first pad (which shows up as having been mapped in DMD),no sound comes out but an 'm' (for mute I guess),shows in the DMD window,and diappears when I press the pad a second time,then reappears when I press it again.The other pads,though showing up as Learned in DMD too,are not making any sound either any longer.

Could you please advise me on how to solve this issue?

Somehow your mapping have been reassign to the wrong function, most likely because you stayed in "Learn" mode by mistake. You need to open the controller assignment window, find the erroneous assignments and delete them, then learn them again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David,

Having mapped Drum Machine Designer to the pads on the keyboard following your suggestions,they initially worked,but now when I press the first pad (which shows up as having been mapped in DMD),no sound comes out but an 'm' (for mute I guess),shows in the DMD window,and diappears when I press the pad a second time,then reappears when I press it again.The other pads,though showing up as Learned in DMD too,are not making any sound either any longer.

 

Could you please advise me on how to solve this issue?

On 9/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, JakobP said:

You have a controller assignment made for that note, which you need to delete. Go to Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments, and then hit the pad. An assignment should get highlighted, delete it. Hth...

Thank-you for the response.I have done as suggested and the 'M' has stopped showing up.The mapped drums are flashing in the DMD window now when I press the pads,and the signal is registering on the channel strip volume meter,but there is now no sound,whereas I had sound before.Any ideas would be much appreciated.

 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, David Nahmani said:

Somehow your mapping have been reassign to the wrong function, most likely because you stayed in "Learn" mode by mistake. You need to open the controller assignment window, find the erroneous assignments and delete them, then learn them again.

Aha,thank-you David for your response 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shamogi said:

Thank-you for the response.I have done as suggested and the 'M' has stopped showing up.The mapped drums are flashing in the DMD window now when I press the pads,and the signal is registering on the channel strip volume meter,but there is now no sound,whereas I had sound before.Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Could you post a screenshot of the DMD gui and the mixer showing the DMD tracks ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

41 minutes ago, JakobP said:

Ok. What about if you open the mixer and play the pads, can you see any meters moving when playing ? A screenshot of the mixer would still help...

 

Yes,the meters are registering sound input when pressing the pads.The problem may well have been resolved,but it looks like I now have a problem with my audio interface,as no sound is coming from Logic at all.I will sort this out and see if the pads are working as hoped.

Thanks

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You're welcome! So do the mappings now work as expected? 

I think the issue may be resolved,as the 'mute' symbol is not showing up and the channel strip meters are now registering sound input when I hit the pads.But I appear to have a separate issue now with my audio interface,as there is no sound output from Logic at all right now!

I will sort this out now and see where I'm at

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 3:27 PM, Shamogi said:

Yes,the meters are registering sound input when pressing the pads.The problem may well have been resolved,but it looks like I now have a problem with my audio interface,as no sound is coming from Logic at all.I will sort this out and see if the pads are working as hoped.

Thanks

Everything up and running now,thanks for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, JakobP said:

Ok. What about if you open the mixer and play the pads, can you see any meters moving when playing ? A screenshot of the mixer would still help...

Got it all sorted out now,thanks for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...