Hello Mr. Ski

jamesf

Hello Mr. Ski,

I have been using the Logic Pro score editor for a little while now.  Of course, as always happens with software, I was beginning to think that the grass might be greener on the other side.  I won't say specifically what software I tried (I'll just say, after many years I "finally" tried it) and wow, I nearly tore my hair out in frustration.  Rather than switch, I decided to, instead, take your course on MacProVideo, "Core Training - The Score Editor".  It was an excellent course!  I now understand how the score editor works from single region to score set.  It is really powerful and I discovered that there is not much it can't do from the perspective of creating a score that another musician can read and successfully interpret.  As well, my workflow will be greatly sped up.  As a bonus, your presentation style was really entertaining and the musical examples sounded great - you are obviously a talented composer.

Great course, thanks for creating it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jamesf said:

there is not much it can't do

That's really great that ski was able to convey that through his training. He's been helping a great deal of Logic users with all sorts of advanced Score editor needs (and many other advanced Logic questions) here on Logic Pro Help in the past. 😄

Thank you for sharing this!

• Like 1

If Ski has retired from doing the Logic Pro help gig, it is a well deserved retirement! 😀

I was struggling to notate a held arpeggiated chord (googled and everything).  I tried using different voices, breaking up the lengths with user rests and adding my own slurs, phew... Un-clicking "No Overlap" in the score region settings did the trick.  This is just one tip from the course of many that were useful to me.  I know there is also a good book by Jay Asher.  I'll have to track down a used copy (I am assuming it is out of print?).

image.thumb.png.75ea8fe3a8bf0f72ad9c7c679464f876.png

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, DanRad said:

Yes, Ski changed my life in terms of using Logic for creating Notation/Parts/Scores.  Maybe it's global warming, but I haven't seen any Skiing for a long time....  Mr. Ski, are you out there?  Hellooooo....

Hi DanRad, are any examples of your scores out there in the wild?  Do you have any score editor tips?

Here's one.... My biggest tips have come from our friends Ski and Volo:  Here are my top ten tips (TTT®)

•Lay out tool.  USE IT, ABUSE IT!

•Key commands for: changing sharps to flats and vise versa, Articulations, sizing, octave up and down, 1/2 step up and down, slurs, beaming notes, stems up or down, 

•Using duration bars on selected notes

•Understanding the difference between audible quantization and visual quantization 

•Using multiple voice staff styles

•Using Staff sets

•using the tuplet tool

•Having screen sets for different uses, Sections, individual, whole parts, link sections

•Using the "alternative" repeat sign

•Getting a good Jazz font

there's so much more... just like any tool/skill, the more you do, the more your learn and become fluid in te process.

AS_SCORE A4 unconverted.pdf

• Like 5

JamesF, thank you for taking the time to post with your kind comments about my course. I'm glad you and others have found it useful.

😇

@DanRad Yes, I'm out here, thanks for asking. Kinda under a rock for a minute, but working on coming out from under it.

current location.png

Edited by ski
to add funny picture
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

Yep, Ski’s MPV Score Editor video changed my life too! I still have a reasonably recent version of the notation software I started with in… 1989 🙀. But for 95% of scores/parts Logic is faster/easier and looks fine. That’s a nice clean Big Band score Dan! 👍🏽

Edited by airforceguitar
^#<ng spell-check.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DanRad said:

Thanks... Check this one out.... Orchestral.  Mr. Ski helped me with this one...

Aries_Conductors Score.pdf 481.38 kB · 1 download

Sweet! 🍭  Stock font or third-party? Bravura? Looks like you laid it out for 8.5 X 14” paper? Creating a staff style for every instrument sure makes the staff-spacing better! 😄

• Like 1

(just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in) 😵

Hello to airforceguitar, volo, Dan, and David! Dan, in looking through your Aries score, I wanted to point out something regarding symbol placement that's sort of in keeping with your comment about using/abusing the layout tool. Which I wholeheartedly recommend. But, OK, check this out:

When adding dynamic markings such as mF, as shown in the attached example, the symbols should placed under the note associated with the marking, not before. So if a note starts on (say) 1.2.1.1, the symbol should have the same position. I think of it in terms of "physical position" even though, of course, we're not talking about real objects. There are two functions that help make placement easy: Guides and Help Tags. Normally I have Help Tags disabled because I find them really annoying, but not when it comes to doing markup in the score. The guide setting shown in the second pic is my default, though I'll change them on an as-needed basis.

If, for whatever reason, positionable symbols like dynamic markings end up not being aligned with the notes, you can easily shift their position in the event list, or just by using the normal pointer tool (cursor). But don't use the layout tool for this. Start off on the right footing and have the symbols and notes positioned on the same beat. Then use the layout tool to fine-tune position up/down/left/right as needed.

You'll find that by "getting it right the first time" using the above approach, the position of dynamic markings (etc.) will stay nicely in sync with the notes they're attached to regardless of how you might change the line layout later. For example, when you extract parts, or change the number of measures per line — whether in the score or in the part — the symbols will go along for the ride and maintain their alignment with the notes.

An alternative to using the layout tool to fine-tune the position of symbols is to use the Nudge up/down/left right key commands. I find them indispensable.

alignment.png

alignment stuff.png

guide and help tag.png

Edited by ski
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

• 7 months later...
On 10/26/2022 at 5:47 PM, jamesf said:

...I know there is also a good book by Jay Asher.  I'll have to track down a used copy (I am assuming it is out of print?).

Unfortunately yes, it's out of print. I'm transmitting this message from the future using Emperor Musk's tachyon transmitter...way back in April 2023, Jay offered to revise and self-release his Score Editor book if a core group of people committed to pay in advance. He got enough verbals, but a few disappeared when it was time to pay so he pulled the plug. I was disappointed, but it happened in the Facebook Logic Score Editor group so I wasn't surprised.

In the name of Elon, I bid you good day sir.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, volovicg said:

yes he is on all accounts and I couldn't agree with you more. I too learned many things from him when I was learning the score editor a long time ago.

And you have helped me with a few score editor issues in turn. Paying it forward!

On 10/25/2022 at 5:50 PM, jamesf said:

there is not much it can't do

I know a Professor at Berklee who prepared his final score to earn a DMA using Logic's score editor. And this was back in 1999.

• Like 1

Ski also was my mentor and winner of many debates on usage of the score editor. I will forever be great full for his wisdom, patience and knowledge and certainly was the mostly influential person on this site for me (Sorry David). I too used logic through Berklee and at times was forced to use finale which i why I know both but Logic far better and faster for me at least. There are so many goo people here who are score advocates and skilled users and it is a privilege to part take with them on Q/A's and usage questions as I learn more from interacting with them then from any manual.  Ok  - enough - let me wipe the my eyes, put the tissues away and put this emotional kumbaya to rest.  Back to composing everyone!

• Like 2

Only just discovered this wonderful thread ... ! @jamesf thanks for starting this thread, @DanRad great scores - ( you didnt answer the question about where we could hear them?) @ski another super lesson - gold dust! great to see you back.. you sure put your 'stamp'  😉 on the Logic Score Editor - if we can tempt you back to the old alma mater here now and then 🙏@volovicg your help over some years now on the Score Editor has been absolutely invaluable particularly on Staff Sets which I never understood until you explained them, thanks for your willingness to tackle and usually solve just about any Score Editor query that has ever arisen @airforceguitarand @TheUncannyValley  super contributions too @David Nahmani the OG for keeping this wonderful forum going so long ...

• Like 3

Aren't we all generous and complementary people.. Yes, there are many great "Logic Angels" about.  

If you have Spotify, you can hear my Big Band stuff HERE

Dan Radlauer and his Quarantined Big Band

and here;

Big Band Mockups by Dan Radlauer

I'm mentoring a young composer right now and he's switching to Logic for notation.  I do find it hard to explain all the little work arounds we all have found to make it our "GO TO"...but it's fun to try.

• Like 1