core overloads

shhhk2013

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9473

Nicer 2.1b ©2001 Ryan Stevens

This is a beta (preview) release. Use at your own risk. If you have comments, questions or feature requests drop me a line (see the Contact section).

Know bugs:

1) Application names get clipped at 16 characters. Until I figure out a sensible way to get the full names (without mass amounts of guesswork/workaround code) this will have to do, sorry! If you have a fix you'll let me know, right!?

2) Choosing "Quit [appName]" from the context menu doesn't let you save changes (if any) in the quitting app. (This may change in next release)

3) Choosing "Kill [appName]" or "Quit [appName]" from the context menu doesn't show an alert with the option to cancel. Select one and the app will quit -- unless the process doesn't belong to you, in which case you will have a chance to cancel.

4) Although not exactly a bug, Nicer doesn't gather much meaningful info on the process. I like the simple look so if/when we gather more info it may get put into an Inspector window.

5) [insert quirk/bug/missing feature here.]

Installation:

Drag n Drop install/uninstall. I recommend putting Nicer in /Applications/Utilities/ but it's really up to you.

License:

Nicer is freeware. Bam! Simple as that.

thats what I did and I ran the script and there was no change. The cpu usage was about the same if not even a tad more.

I also tried it on a new project of mine. The cpu registers just about the same with or without. I guess the voodoo don't doodoo for me. :wink:

Just curious...you are using "zeeb's" script right ?

The script posted by "logician" is for Final Cut Pro

Make sure the first line says: tell application "Logic Pro"

aukee Guys, so just to make you understand simple fact.

The scheduler, based on gathered information about process(es) is trying to guess (yes, that's right) how often should the process be awake. That directly relates to CPU usage you see in 'top' or activity monitor. That plus time spent in OS (drivers,sysctls, etc).

There are also other factors, in fact - every single scheduler in every single OS behaves differently. the 'nice' value just tells scheduler how important the process is.

What info does the mac os x scheduler gather, etc, I don't know. It is open-source, but I have no idea if the core of system that's opensource matches 1=1 the proprietary version that's included as core of mac os x.

Just to let you know, linux guys had the same problems, and still have. They do modify kernel, for 'multimedia' related distribution of OS.

Windows folks have settings for their scheduler, because they base priorities a lot, based on the window activity, visibility, etc. (the most basic option for that in windows, is to either favour background apps - services, or windowed apps).

The bottom line is, Apple should look closely at the scheduler, and at least create several types of preferences for scheduler, based on type of application. Simply, I don't think that Safari requires so much 'real time priority' as Logic used as DAW does ,etc, etc. Just stick that info somewhere in .app bundle, and off we go. (if they do it, I will demand credit :P ).

I don't know the Logic code, so can't say if there's anything they could change to make it run more smoothly. And I hope, if they look at it, they will start at the OS - imo, root of the problems. After all, they are writing software for the OS they know best.

HTH

aukee Guys, so just to make you understand simple fact.

The scheduler, based on gathered information about process(es) is trying to guess (yes, that's right) how often should the process be awake. That directly relates to CPU usage you see in 'top' or activity monitor. That plus time spent in OS (drivers,sysctls, etc).

There are also other factors, in fact - every single scheduler in every single OS behaves differently. the 'nice' value just tells scheduler how important the process is.

What info does the mac os x scheduler gather, etc, I don't know. It is open-source, but I have no idea if the core of system that's opensource matches 1=1 the proprietary version that's included as core of mac os x.

Just to let you know, linux guys had the same problems, and still have. They do modify kernel, for 'multimedia' related distribution of OS.

Windows folks have settings for their scheduler, because they base priorities a lot, based on the window activity, visibility, etc. (the most basic option for that in windows, is to either favour background apps - services, or windowed apps).

The bottom line is, Apple should look closely at the scheduler, and at least create several types of preferences for scheduler, based on type of application. Simply, I don't think that Safari requires so much 'real time priority' as Logic used as DAW does ,etc, etc. Just stick that info somewhere in .app bundle, and off we go. (if they do it, I will demand credit :P ).

I don't know the Logic code, so can't say if there's anything they could change to make it run more smoothly. And I hope, if they look at it, they will start at the OS - imo, root of the problems. After all, they are writing software for the OS they know best.

HTH

thats what I did and I ran the script and there was no change. The cpu usage was about the same if not even a tad more.

I also tried it on a new project of mine. The cpu registers just about the same with or without. I guess the voodoo don't doodoo for me. :wink:

Just curious...you are using "zeeb's" script right ?

The script posted by "logician" is for Final Cut Pro

Make sure the first line says: tell application "Logic Pro"

Absolutely! A million percent certainty. No mistake. :D

Also, thanks for that last post gregj

Another side effect, since logic will get most of the CPU time - others will get less.

How about 3rd party plugins (AUs)? Will they be handled as part of the application or will they be deferred?

Yes. Plugins are running in the same program space. Rewire isn't, but plugins are.

Hence the problem, that many plugins will crash logic if they are buggy :)

Otherwise it something else would crash, but Logic would still be standing.

I doubt the usefulness of Nicer. Assuming that you don't run other applications alongside with Logic, I don't see how increasing Logic's priority may affect performance.

I'll assume that 1: you have not tested it, and 2: you haven't been following this thread very closely.

"Nicer" is an application that does EXACTLY the same thing as the applescript in this thread. It simply adds a user interface an allows instant comparisons.

Try it, see what it does for you..!!

zmix,

with "Nicer" I meant both, the application as well as the applescript.

IMO the real problem is somewhere else. For me the overload messages usually happen at (first) start of a song. I guess this is due to some initialization tasks (buffers, code loading etc) which are executed by "demand" (ie. just when needed). Apparently Logic can't perform these tasks timely in some situations. So I think the only solution would be to do certain initializations beforehand. But unfortunately, this would increase the overall cpu/ram usage of Logic on average.

Would this script runs with Logic Pro 7? Do i need to change Logic Pro to Logic Pro 7? Please do help.

thanks

Cheers

David

David,

Both the script and the application "Nicer" control a system process hierarchy. The sublevel processe's version (Logic incuded) are irrelevant.

-CZ

Would this script runs with Logic Pro 7? Do i need to change Logic Pro to Logic Pro 7? Please do help.

thanks

Cheers

David

David,

Both the script and the application "Nicer" control a system process hierarchy. The sublevel processe's version (Logic incuded) are irrelevant.

-CZ

Chuck:

I know this is a Logic forum, but can I assume that this will work with all apps? PT M-powered, specifically?

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Cheers

David

David,

-CZ

Chuck:

I know this is a Logic forum, but can I assume that this will work with all apps? PT M-powered, specifically?

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated.

Marcel,

"Nicer" is NOT 'magic'...it merely affects how the OS allocates it's short attention span.

I expect that If you download and run "Nicer" you should easily be able to see if this affects the performace in PT.

One word:

DRA-MA-TIC!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What a difference! I tested it out on a song of my which notoriously sends the Core Audio into overload before I even press play (slight exaggeration, but I think you get me drift). And........

Nothing. Not a single spike.

I reopened the song without the script and, well, let's just say I won't be running Logic without this script from now on.

Thanks to all who made this possible. Everyone should know about this.

Remark from Quaddie to Quaddie:

I tried the script, it seems to work as it launches Logic - but I can't see any further effect. Logic is set to load the last project automatically - no difference in loading time - I press start, and when the position line reaches the first notes: Plop, out. After re-starting the song, it runs without hassles. Everything just like before the script thing. Did you anything special besides pasting the script, inserting your Admin PW, translating the script and saving it as an application (and then using this application!)?

Can this script help with Logic 7 also?

Are you really too lazy to look 2 or 3 posts above yours where the exact same question is asked and answered?

Yes.

Actually I read every post and my brain must have crashed around then- will this script work encephaLOGICally?

First of all. Thank you for the tip**

OK,

I must be doing something wrong.

I use Leopard with Logic 8 on a Macbook Pro.

I opened a session and added sculpture instances on tracks playing the same midi loop until it overloaded.

I opened activity monitor and observed the PID for Logic 8.

In terminal I typed : sudo renice -20 (logic PID)

return<

password<

return<

I am not seeing a change in cpu usage in the activity monitor and the session still spikes.

I also tried using Applescript application instead of terminal and could not see a change.

Should I just expect time spent on a process to change and not CPU percentage used (as observed in activity monitor)?

update*

ALSO...

Tried "Nicer" application.

Set Logic priority to highest/apply..... no effect

Set Logic priority to lowest/apply ...... no effect

Any Ideas??

SG

The "nicer voodoo" can only have positive effect on Logic's performance if other applications are running at the same time. But that's usually not the case. However, when working with MIDI you may see in the activity monitor a 'MIDIServer' user process running independent of Logic. And in this case, increasing Logic's priority would actually *degrade* MIDI performance/timing.

However, when working with MIDI you may see in the activity monitor a 'MIDIServer' user process running independent of Logic. And in this case, increasing Logic's priority would actually *degrade* MIDI performance/timing.

I would doubt that's the case. On projects with tons of midi tracks, that "MidiServer"

app uses 0.00% CPU...with and without running that script.

Also, if I open up that demo song "Plaid" that came with L8 and UN-freeze all the freezed tracks...the cpu meter would be all up in the red and my comp would have system overload...but running that script, I can play the same song (un-freezing all the freezed tracks) and the cpu meter would not hit red and no overload. So at least, on "my" computer, there is a huge difference.

My cpu is a G5 dual 2ghz.

Maybe it doesn't work on the intels ? :?:

This is a picture of my CPU with the script running.

This is two instances of EXS pianos running simultaneously (using the environment). They are being sent through only one bus which has compression, eq, and an instance of space designer.

I running a 4-core Mac Pro with enough RAM.[/img]

What does this script do again?

419321416_Picture9.png.3151e39d223fca7cb1f39f023dfbcd4b.png

However, when working with MIDI you may see in the activity monitor a 'MIDIServer' user process running independent of Logic. And in this case, increasing Logic's priority would actually *degrade* MIDI performance/timing.

I would doubt that's the case. On projects with tons of midi tracks, that "MidiServer" app uses 0.00% CPU...with and without running that script.

The MIDIServer is busy only when using *external* MIDI (or IAC). For example, when sending from Logic to Kontakt standalone over IAC, I get about 0.5% CPU load. That's not much but realtime behavior is crucial here. In fact I've read somewhere that poeple did increase the priority of MIDIServer for better MIDI timing.

Remark from Quaddie to Quaddie:

I tried the script, it seems to work as it launches Logic - but I can't see any further effect. Logic is set to load the last project automatically - no difference in loading time - I press start, and when the position line reaches the first notes: Plop, out. After re-starting the song, it runs without hassles. Everything just like before the script thing. Did you anything special besides pasting the script, inserting your Admin PW, translating the script and saving it as an application (and then using this application!)?

Hey Jope.

Only just got to your post, sorry for the delay. Nothing special. I run the script now to launch Logic. Then open my project from within the application. It really is as dramatic as I mentioned above. I have a song that used to give me core audio overloads like mad! I have EastWest HC Bass, Symphonic Choirs WITH Wordbuilder, BFD Drums, and all sorts instantiated in this song. Without the script - CAO all the time, even at 1024 i/o buffer. Now, it just works like you'd expect.

I wonder if anyone's created a test file we know to cause all sorts of problems, with just Logic stuff instantiated on it. Then we have a common place from which to see some results.

It's Thanksgiving weekend, so I may not be able to get to this until next week, but maybe someone else may want to take this on in the meantime.

It really is as dramatic as I mentioned above. I have a song that used to give me core audio overloads like mad! I have EastWest HC Bass, Symphonic Choirs WITH Wordbuilder, BFD Drums, and all sorts instantiated in this song. Without the script - CAO all the time, even at 1024 i/o buffer. Now, it just works like you'd expect.

Hmmm... Don't overrate my knowledge of third-party stuff... Are those AUs? I use NI's FM7 and Absynth a lot, they often take Logic out of the curve on their first note for the first time the song plays and after that behave immaculate. The script didn't change this.

Looks like a large field of research...

It really is as dramatic as I mentioned above. I have a song that used to give me core audio overloads like mad! I have EastWest HC Bass, Symphonic Choirs WITH Wordbuilder, BFD Drums, and all sorts instantiated in this song. Without the script - CAO all the time, even at 1024 i/o buffer. Now, it just works like you'd expect.

Hmmm... Don't overrate my knowledge of third-party stuff.... Are those AUs? I use NI's FM7 and Absynth a lot, they often take Logic out of the curve on their first note for the first time the song plays and after that behave immaculate. The script didn't change this.

Looks like a large field of research...