core overloads

shhhk2013

8 - core owner here - never saw a single error running 10.5.0. 10.5.1 changed everything - errors constantly, random, in songs that definitely shouldn't . Hell, i though I'd bought myself a couple of years smooth sailing before I'd have to deal with sh-t like this..

p.s. - the script seems to help very little.

Wow, I just read this thread after just posting about a similar issue (see "My Logic is haunted...who ya gonna call?" Really helpful & educational thread here, thanks!

I too experience audio dropouts & weird jerky movements of the playhead & random stuttering--and yeah, it's usually when returning to a file that's been left open for a while (idling) or when booting up.

This is especially aggravating as I use a Tascam FW1082 as interface/controller, & it usually requires re-installing & restarting the machine every time. (Lame, yeah, I know.) So I'm constantly rebooting the system for it to work, & that must be contributing to the weirdness on initial play.

The script works perfectly, until it comes to closing Logic, I then get this error message:

http://www.geocities.com/solarisstudios/error.tiff

More of an annoyance than a problem ;)

**I'm not sure why the image isn't showing up, have I got the BB code wrong? It is a valid image, but you'll have to click the link instead...

http://www.geocities.com/solarisstudios/error.tiff

When ever I run the script, it wants me to login to run it, and enter a password.

Is there a way to bypass that?

The script has the root password, but it wants the user login, and password each time.

Thanks for any help. Also, has anyone tried contacted Emagic about these overload issues?

Hmmm...I tried this script, and it resulted in some exceedlngly weird behavior here in L7.1 / 10.4.11.

First, all of my menu items (in the app menu bar at the top of the screen) are greyed-out and unselectable - until I click on the Help menu to the right. Then I can move back to the left and access the menus.

Except for the Quit Logic command. Can't do that.

Also, I can't get Logic to play, or adjust any settings within the song. Very strange.

I saved the script as "Stay Open", When I open it it opens Logic 8, but before I have time to open a project an error message opens saying "AppleEvent timed out". I'm not sure what this means. Is the script still working or did it close up?

to many different results for this script. No one can answer any questions, waste of time, and it might break logic down the line.

If it works for one, it should work for all, else it just doesnt work

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Lpro. and a 2 gig G5

several of my projects spike and overload with hardly any plug-ins. This sounds like it would fix the problem.

BUT i'm a little nervous about doing tech stuff like this. I'm all about the music. The tech I struggle with. It's been awhile since these threads were posted. Is everybody still convinced this was a great move. I sure would love to stop the overload prompts and cpu spike. 8)

Hi Jetspeak ----

For me this is still working with LP 8.0.0 on 10.4.10. This was my last stable configuration - so am staying put for awhile.

I still use this script/app. to lower or stop any spikes while running LP8.

While this works for me and some others, there is a chance it may not work for you. Everyone has different variables.

I'll give you the step-by-step instructions - its very simple....be brave!

1. Go into Applications and open the 'Apple Script' folder.

2. Open/Launch the 'Script Editor' App.

3. You will see a window divided it two - in the top window, copy (apple > 'c') this text as written below;

tell application "Logic Pro"

run

end tell

set the_lines to paragraphs of (do shell script "ps -U $USER")

set the_app to "Logic Pro"

set the_line to ""

repeat with this_line in the_lines

if this_line contains the_app then

set the_line to this_line

end if

end repeat

if the_line is "" then return

set the_pid to word 1 of the_line

do shell script "renice -20 " & the_pid password "putyouradminpasswordhere" with administrator privileges

4. On the bottom line where it reads "putyouradminpasswordhere" type in your admin password - keep the quotation marks

and the last three words exactly as written. Just change the putyouradminpasswordhere text.

5. Go to 'File' and 'Save As' -- give it a name and choose a location to save to. In the dropdown menu labelled 'File format',

I saved mine as an application, ticked 'Stay Open'and Saved to my Apps folder.

6. Double click on the the Script/App. and wait....

7. The script will launch itself and then LP8 - the 'Stay Open' save option keeps this running while you use Logic. I keep an alias of the script (with a cool icon)

in the Dock next to my LP8 alias.

I would be happy to send you the app., but you'd still have to do the text changing. its very simple if you just follow the

above instructions.

I hate tech stuff too. I know very little about these things, but after three months of crashes, freezes two logicboard

replacements (a possible a third on its way?) - I've been going through the ringer while trying to finish tracks.

It really sucks, but has to be done until all is solid as a rock.

All the best and good luck,

Cheers,

J.

P.S. If anyone else has an update, or new info for this script, please post! Many thnx again to Logician for his original suggestion -- waaay back on page one.

I have to say that this little gem is working for me. I still have not seen an answer to the question of the STAY OPEN option when saving. Does this need to be checked?

Also, very early on in this thread, it was stated to run Logic first, then the script. Is this still the case?

Thanks a bunch for this. Just want some clarification on the above.

Peter

hey Fazmanicg --

i'm still guessing, but think ;

"...the 'Stay Open' save option keeps this (the script) running while you use Logic..."

unless its just a command thing? i.e. I'm not sure if its necessary to stay open throughout the session - i havent tested this. anyone?

i still have to close/quit the script manually after closing each Logic session.

I always boot LP8 by double clicking the script -- does the rest by itself.

cheers,

J.

hey Fazmanicg --

"...the 'Stay Open' save option keeps this (the script) running while you use Logic..."

unless its just a command thing? i.e. I'm not sure if its necessary to stay open throughout the session - i havent tested this. anyone?

I don't know either, but since there is no loop or so in the script, it should do nothing after the "nice" level is adjusted, and therefore there is no need to keep the script application open.

Mine closes after Logic opens but it is definitely doing something here Dudes! I can actually use ADDICTIVE DRUMS... now i need a Korg PadKontrol cause bangin' on this Yamaha Keyboard ain't really what I need for DRUMMIN' "know what I mean Vern"...

See - Italiano (aka Strangeodugs) is just a guitar player and I've been running everything on 1-gig of ram in my G5 Imac cause I spend all my money on guitar stuff... So this script is a Godsend - I'm doing Guitar, Bass (using guitar with Bass Ovtaver in Guitar Rig 2) and wanna do my drums now - but before this script it started choking on ADDICTIVE DRUMS... (an awesome Drumkit that sounds good)

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/addictivedrums.html

I know RAM is next though... One other thing - I've got a Yamaha Keyboard hooked up (midi) and everything works but IS THERE A SMALL LAG in midi? Is it RAM? Cause it seems when I play a keyboard (trying to learn after 40+ years of strings) or Rock Organ or something it has a latency I don't have on my Ax...

hey Fazmanicg --

I don't know either, but since there is no loop or so in the script, it should do nothing after the "nice" level is adjusted, and therefore there is no need to keep the script application open.

Yes, I believe that's the case here. I use the script to open Logic...and afterwards, the script closes...but it keeps its effect until I close Logic.

This is weird...

When I first got Logic8 and subsequently got sucked into this whole 'core overload' bruhaha, I tried all kinds of sample and buffer settings to no avail. Even when I upped to 8.0.1, I still got them but in a different pattern of behaviour from 8.0.

So I had basically set my buffers to 256 and the HD to medium, and left it.

So i had a thread about latency which got me messing with the buffers to see what kind of delay I'd get monitoring through the software. (I was always used to monitoring through hardware so it wasn't an issue)

However, this time I upped it to 512 and HD to small. So, as usual, I went and opened some of my projects to listen to them before I called it a night. I also have a habit of opening the LeDisko demo tune that's guaranteed to cause 2-3 OL's in 8.0 and now just 1 in 8.0.1, but, ironically, also now caused my small files to stall once or twice before behaving.

I was shocked because ALL the files played without a stall. I don't know if this was a fluke, but knock on wood, I hope it continues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...