core overloads

shhhk2013

• 4 weeks later...

My problems started on LE 8.0.1 with upgrade to 10.5.2 Leopard.

I do notice that Audio Preferences/Devices/IO Safety buffer (what ever it is?) causes all sorts of problems for me

Simply turning it on (Checked) make some tracks overload immediately, whilst when it is off, they run fine

Even after having nice'ed the logic process down to -10 using the command line version of the script.

I notice that the IO Safety Buffer appears is a new 8.0.1 feature.

From the 8.01 updated manual ...

When activated, Logic Pro uses an additional buffer to process audio output streams. This provides a safeguard against crackling noises which may occur when using very low I/O buffer size settings. Essentially, it provides a little more time for the CPU to finish processing the output buffer data.

You should note that use of the I/O Safety Buffer preference will increase the output latency, and therefore the round trip (input plus output) latency. You may, however, be able to choose a smaller I/O buffer size when the I/O Safety Buffer preference has been activated.

Obviously, you should always aim for the lowest possible latency, without introducing unwanted artifacts. The I/O Safety Buffer preference may help, but if you find that it doesn’t improve things on your system (or suit your use of Logic Pro), then disable it (and select a larger I/O buffer size setting).

LE801AudioDevicePreferences.jpg.0453b9b214c5d03fc987ca6559c9f283.jpg

Paps4,

looks crazy that you are running with a 32-samples buffersize. Does this really work without crackles etc? I can't run any lower than 256 with my MOTU PCI-424 system, or I will get clicks and pops. Are RME that much better or do you usually use a higher setting? If RME can really run this much better/lower, I would consider getting the RME MADI card instead of my current MOTU setup!

I have been searching for a solution for a while now as I have been getting crazier every time I use Logic 8.

I even started using Live 7 as my main host to avoid any more issues. (good for some things but not everything)

I tried making an .app (which has made my life very easy) and also the manual way with activity monitor and terminal.

Both were easy even though I was navigating for the first time.

Thanks to everyone that made this possible !

Matt H

MacbookPro 2.16, 2GB, 200GB/7200 Int, 200GB/7200 Ext.FW800, MPK49,Motu ULtralite,KrKV4,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SimonR...

Just saw your post... I use the pci-express version of the rme. PCI-e over firewire and pci systems has the advantage that you can go even lower in latency, without crackles etc...

Ofcourse there is the ocassional plugin that will stress the system out at 32 samples, but i always start at 32, then take it up from there, if i need to.

Usually I stay around 64-128 for most mixes, along with a few exceptions...

Rme's drivers are also very well written, so that could help a bit with not having clicks and pops, buts its mostly due to the pci-e bus...

i can usually load 7-8 heavy software instruments and around 40 space designers (on a stress test i did) without clicks.... and thats really the max...anything above that would really make the system click like an old record.

btw i have the 2008 macpro basic

• 1 month later...

Beautiful work of you guys. I had nerver used the script editor, pretty much thougt it was black magic (I used to consider midi to be just that, too). Thank you.

One thing I'm wonrdering though... the Liquid Mix Manager (the app the controls Focusrite's convo comp/eq) is of course considered as being a discrete app just like would Reiwire be. I'll have to check if the performance is affected, I just hope not. Anyway, this to suggest caution as to what is considered being competition and priority in the attribution of computing resource.

Will try to report on how LM and "renice-20" coexist.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, new to the forum. Just got an iMac a few weeks ago, finally started getting some recording done and I've encountered this problem.

I will try the script, hoping it works, was starting to think I've wasted $2k... :(

I get the error when running 1-2 playback tracks, with NO software instruments. It's ridiculous. I was starting to suspect the HDD as the culprit. It tests ok, but maybe there's an issue with the throughput?

Anyway, thanks for the effort in this thread, hopefully it'll help me.

Well, after running the Renice script, things seem better, but not perfect. I still have some projects that I exported from GuitarPro that have 3-4 software instruments that will cause the system usage error every time.

I'm still suspicious of my HDD. I heard it make odd noises on occasion. So I may be dealing with a hardware issue also. Who knows.

Thanks again for the script.

I have 8 core ( 2.8 ) macpro+6gb ram+raid 0 HD.10.5.4-all update logic 8.0.2 ..

I used reaktor 5 (i mean crazy synth -synth name is : Medusa V2.ens on reaktor plugin.

max 15 ch :cpu overload :?

you can try to cpu killer syth (crazy :shock: )

Medusa V2.ens ( on reaktor 2008 library) Link :

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=userlibrary&type=0&ulbr=1&ftu=e75c9889c86f0f9&plview=detail&patchid=7151

other reaktor synth-seq-sample- or logic plugins seems to work fine

but this synth ( medusa V2.ens ) no comment

:?:

[image removed by moderator]

• 2 weeks later...

SWAN on page 7... What you have is not a core overload (core audio overload). It is a CPU meter with one of the cores displaying as full load. Core overload stops playback and throws an error box.

I believe your logic cpu meter is misleading you... do the same tasks with the activity monitor's cpu meter displaying. In applications>utilities open activity and double click on the cpu meters moving at the bottom center to make them float.

I'd bet that they tell a different story.

I get the same erroneous display from my quad 2.8 but have yet to get a single system overload on it (please don't throw things.. i know I'm lucky) and my activity monitor shows proper core loads.

I too experience audio dropouts & weird jerky movements of the playhead & random stuttering--

is there a seperate thread someone can direct me to that addresses this problem in a similar fashoin as this thread? its really starting to piss me off as of late and this is a brand new problem that never occured untill about a month ago.

btw the script thing did nothing that the nicer app didnt do .. which wasnt very much either way. but im sure ill get a tad bit less overloads

• 3 months later...

hey all

i came across your thread as i have just recently got similar problems since upgrading to 8.2 & Leopard 10.5.6

FAKKKK

this issue is on all the boards, loads of us like this...so where's apple?

macbook pro 4GB

leopard 10.5.6

logic 8.02

After using the renice -20 hack only once successfully to help spiking, I now get (when I run the hack) the following message/error when Logic is loading:

[in a grey Apple window]

"AppleEvent timed out"

with Edit and OK buttons below the message.

Logic still loads ok, but it seems as if the script hasn't run properly. Below is the actual language from my script (which I copied from this thread and followed closely; the script is saved as an "application") as well as my set-up details. Any assistance GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Michael marana35@gmail.com

tell application "Logic Pro"

run

end tell

set the_lines to paragraphs of (do shell script "ps -U $USER")

set the_app to "Logic Pro"

set the_line to ""

repeat with this_line in the_lines

if this_line contains the_app then

set the_line to this_line

end if

end repeat

if the_line is "" then return

set the_pid to word 1 of the_line

do shell script "renice -20 " & the_pid password "[my password]" with administrator privileges

The brackets contain my actual password (without the brackets).

SetUp:

Logic 8.0.2

Quad G5 PowerPC

OS 10.4.11

Kontakt 3/Battery 3/UAD-2 Quad/Waves

2408mkII with Apogee Trak2 front-end/clock

Arana

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

:shock: I can't believe that script actually worked!! I cannot thank you enough Logician. You just saved me tons of anguish, and frustration. I'm using BFD2 with a Zendrum as the controller, and Ivory for my pianos. My buffers were set to 512!! and I was still getting spikes.

For anyone having this problem, THIS WORKS, trust me!! I am using about 25% of my CPU when using BFD2 and Ivory simultaneously. And my buffers are set to 128 now! Literally a dream come true!!!

Thanks again!

-Jay :D

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Many thanks to logician for the MAGIC FORMULA which gets your Mac to send more cpu power to Logic. Just tried it on Logic 8 and looked at the activity meter. More more processing power now going to logic than ever before! Here's the formula:

You can do this automatically by opening the Script Editor in the /Applications/AppleScript/ folder and pasting in the following:

tell application "Logic Pro"

run

end tell

set the_app to "Logic Pro"

set the_line to ""

repeat with this_line in the_lines

if this_line contains the_app then

set the_line to this_line

end if

end repeat

if the_line is "" then return

set the_pid to word 1 of the_line

do shell script "renice -20 " & the_pid password "yourpasswordhere" with administrator privileges

Logician ROCKS!

Thanks, Logician, Kurt48375

Dual 1.8 G5/Logic 8/6gb ram

• 1 year later...

Working with 9.1.6? I tried it a second ago, but nothing seemed to change, though I'm not sure I did it right.

In this line:

- are we supposed to change $USER to our username?

And where it says, "yourpasswordhere" do we remove the quotes?

And where all the quotes are ("") - what does this mean? Is that how it's supposed to be in the Editor?