Score Editor: Note Display

Music Spirit

Plowman I really appreciate your input .. 🙏 -.... it is indeed the result I was looking for -  but that is not a solution!

A tuplet sign  like that  would not appear in any sort of normal score or part. Also in a basic 16ths based line one should not have to do a 'special operation' just to get such a basic  rhythmic display

@volovicg Can you help?

Edited by Music Spirit

You have to try with

1. Quantization of midi, or quantization of xml in the inspector of score editor

2. Check if interpretation is on or off, and also the max. dot number and the overlap setting.

3. Write it again. Some cases also break my head and i have to solve manually.  In many cases you have to check overlaps on midi and hidden elements in the score settings.

i can´t do the math now here, if you send to me i can open and try

for any case: i just pray for Apple do a TROUGH revision an update on score editor with composers in mind who need this for professional use, also engraving. Some basic things still need a bit of too much "tricks" , like page turn by MIDI,  in order to just read the score, without scrolling the playhead, and so on. It can be by far better than Dorico & Friends. 

Edited by emanuel_froes
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, emanuel_froes said:

You have to try with

1. Quantization of midi, or quantization of xml in the inspector of score editor

2. Check if interpretation is on or off, and also the max. dot number and the overlap setting.

3. Write it again. Some cases also break my head and i have to solve manually.  In many cases you have to check overlaps on midi and hidden elements in the score settings.

i

1/ Score is quantized  2/ Interpretation on or off, Overlap, max.dot do not result in correct display but thanks anyway. Indeed would be great if Logic paid a lot more attention to the Score Editor

3 minutes ago, volovicg said:

Syncopation does need to be checked and the then just shorten the G by 3/16. ( I use a nudge value of 1/16 and use  option+shift ( left and right arrow ) to change note lengths [or you could use duration bars]. 

beat 3.gif

Thanks again Greg -  but I dont see your gif ending up with the display I need - check Tayto's result. That is what it needs to look like. Your version has beat 4 with only a sixteenth note on the end, but I need the G of Beat 3 to be tied to the G in beat 4 ... to get what the player needs to play for the line to sound right

Edited by Music Spirit

…I think it will work with any rest and actually ON the beat also…

Works - but pretty sure i've had specific situations where logic refused to display as i wanted - good to additionally know tuplet method (as in plowman's post above n.b. hide tuplet display) where user rests wont do it…

btw also useful is 'force/defeat syncopation' command… 

Edited by Tayto
  • Like 1

A tuplet sign like that would not appear in any sort of normal score or part.

Tayto mentioned this above: the bracket can be hidden. A "4" will remain as a reminder to the user that an n-tuplet exists at that beat, but neither the bracket or the "4" will print out. 

I think it will work with any rest and actually ON the beat also…

Yes. Even the bulbous dotted whole note, if on the fourth beat, will render the correct tie for the G. The rest's point of entry exposes the beat, but the length of the rest seems irrelevant. 

The default syncopation command for individually selected notes is shift-control-Y. Defeating that syncopation is control-Y. The benefit of per-note syncopation or the n-tuplet method is that either will leave the remainder of the region alone. The Syncopation checkbox can cause unwelcome displays elsewhere in the region. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tayto said:

…I think it will work with any rest and actually ON the beat also… 

3 hours ago, Tayto said:

Tayto - you are right  - the actually size of the user rest is not relavent. But it's insert position is and with smaller rhythmic rests there are more optional starting point placement options which appear.   If you know for example that the user rest needs to be at 3,3,4,121 and you insert a quarter rest - you will only be able to insert this rests on the down beats  - then you can change the starting point in the event list and it will functional be the same as insert the 1/32 rest at the modified location.  It will not work on the beat in my example - and  again there could be variations based on the display quantize. 

Funny all these great familiar names on this thread.  I have been on here for almost 10 years now, but plowman is getting close to 20 years... incredible!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

...plowman is getting close to 20 years... 

Proving that time is no guarantee of knowledge or wisdom... 

I often noted to myself that when ski went onto other things -- and better things to be sure --  Greg was there to replenish the insight and generosity we might have otherwise lost. 

But David is the real hero in these parts. 

Cheers to you all. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1