Panner = Reverb on Logic Pro ( Youtubers never told me this )

On 4/19/2023 at 11:47 AM, David Nahmani said:

I agree. I have a strong aversion for videos that waste my time before getting to the point. I started watching that video hoping to quickly get the gist of the idea but quickly gave up before I learned anything useful unfortunately. 

@emanuel_froes would you mind sharing the main idea behind that technique? 

if the video does not explained to you, how can i help with text? What did you not understand?

On 4/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, fuzzfilth said:

O My God. Even on 200% playback speed this is painful to watch.

sorry for doing the video, teach me how to do better

Edited by emanuel_froes

13 hours ago, emanuel_froes said:

if the video does not explained to you, how can i help with text? What did you not understand?

It's not that I don't understand, it's the amount of time required to watch the video that is the issue for me.

To me, a technique can be summarized in text within a couple of sentence, which takes me a mere seconds to read. But to watch a video takes too much of my time in order to listen to something where I may not learn anything new at all. 

For example, the first actual useful information in your video comes in at 1 minute 48 seconds. That's a lot of time wasted to determine if that useful information is something I already knew or not. Whereas in text you could just say "Right-click the pan knob in the track header to configure it as a send level knob". Takes 1.5 seconds to read. 

I'm sure there's more useful information in your video but it's too time consuming to watch, which is why I wish you'd explain your technique using text instead. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, emanuel_froes said:

teach me how to do better

In addition to what David said, I think it is really important to have a clear concept of what the video should be about, and also to have an actual script to read from. As it is, it's obvious that you're a) trying to find a thematic introduction to the idea that you want to talk about and b) scrambling for words to communicate that idea. The viewer, not knowing if you're about to possibly deliver the central line, will stick to every word you say and if that is incoherent rambling, you'll leave them more confused than before.

There's different ways to structure a video and which one to choose and to stick to is dependent on the purpose of the video and, even more so, on the intent of the viewer. A 30 minutes unedited clip may be perfect to give a fly-on-the-wall impression of what it actually means to compose and arrange a piece for string quartet, including tryouts, missteps and even creative roadblocks, but a "How to switch a control between Pan and Send"-video can be as short as 10 seconds and people will appreciate if the creator chooses the right format for that.

Also, many times, I get promised to learn, say, how to do sidechain between an audio track and an external MIDI track in this video, only to watch people rowing around the screen with their mouse to create a project, create a track, record some audio to it, set up an external MIDI track, record some MIDI notes to it, set up a compressor on the audio track, all the while I'm hearing how they talk themselves through the process of creating a project, setting up an audio track, recording some audio, setting up an external MIDI track, recording some MIDI notes to it, setting up a compressor on the audio track, all of which is of zero use to me because I'm precisely there already since before I started the video and I'm forced to wait for them to catch up until they FINALLY get to the point of the entire video. By this time, I've either run out of time, patience or interest or, because I'm old, I've long fallen asleep. And only if I'm really lucky, I eventually get a proper explanation of how to sidechain between an audio track and an external MIDI track, which, again, can be explained in 30 seconds tops.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

It's not that I don't understand, it's the amount of time required to watch the video that is the issue for me.

To me, a technique can be summarized in text within a couple of sentence, which takes me a mere seconds to read. But to watch a video takes too much of my time in order to listen to something where I may not learn anything new at all. 

For example, the first actual useful information in your video comes in at 1 minute 48 seconds. That's a lot of time wasted to determine if that useful information is something I already knew or not. Whereas in text you could just say "Right-click the pan knob in the track header to configure it as a send level knob". Takes 1.5 seconds to read. 

I'm sure there's more useful information in your video but it's too time consuming to watch, which is why I wish you'd explain your technique using text instead. 

The title shows already what is the video about: use panner as reverb knob. So I guess you clicked because you wanted to know more about? Because this is the target audience: people who want to know more about this, from the point of view of my professional praxis.

The first useful information for YOU comes at this time; however the most important information comes right at the start, before it, and gives context to the right framing and playment of this workflow: I am developing techniques to have a more clean and direct workflow for complex things. This is ONE among them. 

-In order to focus better on the essentials of orq. mockup you can assign the panner to send 1 (as reverb).

-So you have an overview of what is going on with reverb while focusing on arrange window.

-You can easily adjust reverb from arrange window, and automate, being this the most important aspect of mixing while composing orchestral music.

-People overlook this feature, and is rarely used.

- This should not be confused with mixing

Theoretically you don´t need to watch the video, if 14 minutes is too much time to waste with another person.    You never need to watch people talking, you can have all in books, where you read the index and go direct to the information. I also don´t want to waste my time preparing such a video, since it is already enough that i stop what i am doing to show to people an idea that is resul of my work . More than this, even if it were a perfect video about the topic (perfect meaning "as you want")  the final outcome will be very similar, someone will probably click on it and watch until the end even without liking it, just for curiosity. 

I am sure you spend more than 14 minutes each day reading useless texts as well, that do not add so much ; and I am sure you leave them alone. 😉 

Edited by emanuel_froes

5 hours ago, emanuel_froes said:

I am sure you spend more than 14 minutes each day reading useless texts as well

A single text? No, definitely not. I can within seconds tell if the text is going to be useful or not. And it's much quicker for me to scan through text to quickly go to the point, especially if the text is efficiently formatted. It's harder to skip through a video to find the part that is useful to me. 

The title shows already what is the video about: use panner as reverb knob.

When I first read your title I thought you were going to talk about a technique where you create space and the impression of a reverb by panning instruments in the stereo field. So no, the title did not convey the information I was looking for. 

The first useful information for YOU comes at this time; however the most important information comes right at the start, before it, and gives context to the right framing and playment of this workflow: I am developing techniques to have a more clean and direct workflow for complex things. This is ONE among them.

That's not useful information. That's the reason why you're about to share the useful information. 

Part of the issue here might be that right now YouTube is flooded with music production videos with thumbnails that (understandably, given the amount of competition there is) are somewhat sensationalistic. "Use this one trick to beef up your subs!" "Everyone is ignoring this one feature!" "Get pro results with this simple technique!" Honestly, it's easy to get a bit jaded 🙂

Anyway, for what it's worth, I also interpreted the title as suggestive of some obscure production technique or psychoacoustic trick. I'm not criticizing - just pointing out that in the current YouTube environment it might be easy for a title/thumbnail like that to be misinterpreted.

• Like 1