Used MacBook Pro or IMac

Go to solution Solved by lookatthisguy,

Yesterday I attempted to

1. purchase Logic on the new MacBook with Monterey 

I could not

so Apple/logic seemed to make decision ( whether to use OS 12 or 14 or even 13) for me

so I proceed  to try the update to OS 14 

At 4 hours the computer seemed to get stuck at 30 min 

Does this suggest a path as far as getting logic on the machine !

I don’t care if it’s 12  13 or 14  , but so far I cannot instal logic !

thank you all 

If I'm reading this right the Macbook refuses to install Sonoma?

Others might be more knowledgeable about this; but there is a small chance that this could have something to do with your network setup. But let me stress that this is purely a shot in the dark based on personal experience.

Here's the story: The college I work at got two new Macs in 2019; an iMac and a Mac Mini. Both were located on the same network. But while the iMac would easily update to a newer OS variant the Mac Mini was always aborting (very late in the process) with some kind of error. Interestingly when I took it home it run the update without complaining.

This was all happening with LAN connections. After the college moved widely to WiFi those problems disappeared.

I blame the whole issue on the T2 chip in the Mac Mini (the iMac still didn't have one); this is a security chip that is tied very deep into many functions of the OS. My theory is that it tries to communicate with Apple's servers on a port that was closed in our network (schools and universities often try to close off as many ports to prevent misuse of ressources and attacks). While all the downloads and so on were working just fine this particular functionality somehow got blocked in our firewall.

The functionality of the T2 chip is nowadays incorporated into the Apple Silicon chips (M1 to M3) so there is a possibility that this could affect those newer Apple products, too.

But once again - this is merely an idea. This also could be something completely different.

• Love 1

Gacki Thank you 

I’m such an extreme polarity. Music is natural - tech knowledge is abysmal 

I used to pay geek squad $200 a year but they are more on the windows side

can you think of a resource - site- book- person - store ( eg Best Buy) where I can catch up on my lack of knowledge and get questions answered as well?

this logic site is very helpful but I feel the depth of my lack of knowledge suggests that I get additional help.

its almost embarrassing to ask eg. What is LAN. What is a server - on and on and on

Geek squad almost got it. Maybe I should go back 

but I was hoping there might be other sources that I’m willing to pay - but I’m not well heeled !

thanks again 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 5:23 PM, JacoBirdTrane said:

Oh I forgot to say. I paid for the update to Sonoma and had Logic installed !! 👍

So, no you didn’t. Or if you did, you need to check your credit cards. Because all macOS updates for at least a decade at this point have been free.

Honestly, based on what I’ve been reading here, I wouldn’t even bother with Logic yet. Start with GarageBand, which is free, and perfect to learn the basics of digital audio workstations. Once you feel comfortable in that environment, then you can dive into Logic for more advanced capabilities.

10 hours ago, lookatthisguy said:

So, no you didn’t. Or if you did, you need to check your credit cards. Because all macOS updates for at least a decade at this point have been free.

He paid to have it installed

Lots of people hire support to take care of all things computer for them. 

• Love 1