Logic on MacBook Air

Go to solution Solved by dnito,

I need to get a laptop for everyday use (email, writing, etc) and am wondering if the Air will also enable me to run Logic projects, I'm assuming the answer is no for big projects, but what about smaller ones?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

The answer is a definite yes, even for big projects. I run huge projects on my MacBook Air M1 (base model). 

Wow. Thanks so much, David (as always)!

Are there any specific specs I should try and get? I like to buy refurbished if I can and options can be limited so I want to make sure I get the right one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

"IMO you should try to get at least an M1 machine, they're much faster than the Intel ones and they'll last longer. Also get a 13" screen at least. Other than that it depends on your budget but I'm fine with my base model without any additional options. "

David- I'm finally getting ready to buy the Air. Would you recommend the M3? Thanks!

Edited by dnito
didn't copy quote

2 hours ago, Sascha Franck said:

If you can afford it, defenitely. I just got mine last week and the power this little thing delivers is just stunning.

Thanks!

I read your posts on the more recent MBA thread. I am thinking of getting the 13" with 16 GB Ram and a 512 HD. If I may ask, what did you get? Do you think my specs will be ok?

3 hours ago, dnito said:

If I may ask, what did you get? Do you think my specs will be ok?

I bought the fully maxed out version (24GB RAM, 2TB SSD). I actually don't think I will need the RAM so badly, so I could've kept it at 16GB, but more RAM possibly also translates to at least somewhat less SSD usage (less caching) and compared to the SSD upgrade it seemed sort of "affordable" (of course, none of those upgrade prices are even close to reasonable, so you have to calculate differently in Apple land).

The 2TB SSD however was a must, even if I sort of cringed on the €690 (from 512GB to 2TB), simply because I know that this would be enough to have all relevant sample libaries, all actual projects (and some "permanent" things I need to practice for gigs and such) plus some "casual" things with me all the time. Add to this it's recommended to not fill your SSDs much above around 80% for maximum longevity. And as one of the key aspects of going for a Macbook was mobility, I couldn't see myself fooling around with an external SSD while having a good time in the garden's hammock or so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I don't have personal experience with it, so I'm glad @Sascha Franck shared his. On paper it sounds like a great machine and I would definitely recommend it, yes!

Thanks.I appreciate the feedback.  I think 'll go for the 13" Air with:

8-Core CPU
10-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
512GB SSD Storage footnote  ¹

35 minutes ago, dnito said:

Thanks.I appreciate the feedback.  I think 'll go for the 13" Air with:

8-Core CPU
10-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
512GB SSD Storage footnote  ¹

This will perform very nicely. Personally, I'd consider the 1TB SSD, though. Ok, I have no idea about how you work (or plan to work), but for my needs, 1TB would be the bare minimum I could deal with - and I'd still have to connect an external drive often. Obviously, in case the latter is no issue for you, then go for it.

• Like 2