Has Anyone Gotten a Response to Feedback Regarding ARA?

sunbrother

They first supported ARA in 2018 and Apple went to Apple Silicon in 2020, meaning it's now been broken longer than it's been working.

I know Logic team responses to the feedback forms are few and far between, but I thought I'd ask- has anyone ever gotten a response regarding ARA support for Apple Silicon?

I've received follow ups about other little bugs and requests for projects or clarification, but have never heard anything back about ARA.

7 hours ago, sunbrother said:

I’m not sure what you mean. They made a big deal about supporting ARA2 when they added support and I remember seeing that news promoted all over the web.

I was ironising… 

Picture of an Ara:

image.jpeg.d8104fd93d1ee5200d32b6e92e184b9e.jpeg

I was meaning that there were a lot said about ARA-Logic’s implementation which didn’t flew as high as one would have expected/hoped for. (those birds once domesticated couldn’t fly much as their wing gets trimmed to prevent them from flying away)

I confess that was a far fetched one…

(Got to be a crossword puzzler to get it…)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oscwilde said:

This is not all on Apple....who are working with Celemony on finding a solution.
In the meantime - Rosetta mode allows ARA to be used.
https://helpcenter.celemony.com/M5/faqs/?sub=ARAPlug-In|category,Logic Pro|DAW system&qOpen=340

Yes, I’ve read that as well. ARA isn’t an Apple-created spec, fine, I’m just wondering if anyone has heard anything back on it.

Also, Rosetta is not much of a solution. After three years of Apple Silicon many plugins have issues running in Rosetta or issues switching. So if I want to use Melodyne in ARA and I also want reliability, I have to start and finish it in Rosetta while foregoing a lot of other plugins I use regularly. At that point it’s easier to use Melodyne in transfer mode.

Edited by sunbrother

32 minutes ago, rAC said:

AFAIK you don’t have to run everything in Rosetta, so just running ARA/Melodyne in Rosetta might be helpful?

You can't run a plugin that has a native binary under Rosetta in a native host. The host sees the plugin has a native binary, and runs that.

There are developer tools can can strip architectures from a binary, but I expect this might cause problems with the copy protection and I wouldn't recommend it.

And *even* if you do this, it wouldn't work, because when you run Logic natively, *all* plugins run isolated, which is the very thing that prevents ARA2 from working. So the only way to use ARA2 with Melodyne and Logic is to run Logic (and therefore *everything*) under Rosetta.

As for a response to feedback - Apple tends to get back to people submitting bugs to ask for more details, clarify something, provide test projects etc - they don't tend to get back to you letting you know what they intend to do, making promises something will be resolved, or giving a rough idea of when something might be addressed. So expecting/hoping Apple will post you back and say something along the lines of "Hey, just to let you know we're fixing this, and we hope to have it released in Logic 10.8.1 coming in February" is generally unrealistic.

• 6 months later...