Score editor - multi measure rests in polyphonic staff styles using “-Full” rests option

Tayto
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

Hi.

Bug in score editor with multi-measure rests in polyphonic staff styles using the excellent “-Full”* rests option. 

Thanks

*(one of the best yet obscure score editor features introduced in v9  which offers staff polyphony workflow similar to other scoring software).

multimeasure rests_polyphonic staffstyles_-Full_rests.jpg

Edited by Tayto

First it has nothing to do with multi rests as you can see below I just did you example on no issue. However in the past I have encountered exactly what you describe without mute-rests being in the picture at all. It has happened a handful of times and usually I just delete all the notes in the affect measure and re-insert them and the issue goes away. Unfortunately I have not been able to work on solving, reproducing or diagnosing why so I can't tell you a work around.  If you still have the logic file - if you could send it to me I could start there and confirm you don't have something else going on. So go ahead upload you sample project with the issue please when you have time.   Thanks for reaching out

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 8.27.43 AM.png

Edited by volovicg
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 12:32 PM, volovicg said:

First it has nothing to do with multi rests…

Yeah tried again from scratch with a fresh project and same thing.
Maybe just one of those things. Weird.

Here's my project. Might be interesting to see if it occurs for you. Maybe missing something obvious………

Should mention this was on v10.7.9

Thanks for your response 

Multirest_polystave_-Fullrests.logicx.zip

Edited by Tayto

First it has nothing to do with multi rests as you can see below I just did you example on no issue.

I'll be interested to see Greg's analysis of the example. While he has shown multi-rest behaving, the example Tayto posted has a multi-rest bug. For the record, I have dealt with ghost whole rests for years. Sometimes I can track it down to looped regions that are not stopping at the next region to the right, as they should. 

I can document a similarity to that issue. But first, an overview:

Multi-RestWholeRestIssue.gif.ce67077c9f09f821d06f3ba198c5a066.gif

If the region is split in Main, and the multi-rest resides in its own (note-less) region, the Score is correct. Join the regions, and the ghost whole rests re-emerge. 

Delete the multi-rest with the regions joined, and the ghost whole rests disappear. Drag it back in, and the problem returns. So it's hard to argue that the multi-rest is not the issue here -- even if ghost rests remind us of other bugs we've experienced. 

Here's a curious diagnostic: split the regions, use the multi-rest, and then LOOP the multi-rest region. The problem returns.

Delete the multi-rest and loop the region again. It performs as it should -- there's no loop or extraneous rests because the next region stops the loop entirely. LoopingRegionwithMulti-Rest.gif.c6857073cffa4541a2741275cb9ce3ee.gifhe 

In both movies, this multi-rest wants to over-extend its influence. 

Can't explain it. Greg might have some insights. By the way, the above was recorded on Logic 10.7.7. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Plowman said:

…If the region is split in Main, and the multi-rest resides in its own (note-less) region, the Score is correct. Join the regions, and the ghost whole rests re-emerge. 

and that should do just fine for a workaround. Well found thanks!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Plowman said:

I just tried all of the above on Logic 10.6.2 with identical results. 

So, if you're going to use multi-rests and this problem does appear, try isolating the empty measures in their own regions. 

…easier still I see that you can get the same fix without region splitting by just inserting a user barline which is cool…

(edit: previously I mistakenly said user 'rest')

Edited by Tayto
  • Like 2

• Solution

Ok - good problem and I initially indicated the multi rest was not the source of this issue as I have seen it occur without the use of multi-rests so there is some other issue going on here.   However for this problem the issue does in fact lie with the multi-rest and the fact that it is auto calculating its length. If you merely uncheck the auto length box and indicate it's a 4 bar multi rest - the succeeding measures all work as expected. 

multirests.gif

• Like 1