Logic Score - bar repeats

Gridscape
Go to solution Solved by gacki,

Anyone use Score out there!?

In the part box there is a tool to show repeat of two previous bars (as attached). What do I do if I want to show repeat of 4 previous bars?

Btw I've seen discussed elsewhere that there's not much in the way of tutorial on Logic Score - I agree that the best I've ever found is this (I subscribe to MPV):

https://www.macprovideo.com/video/logic-pro-x-109-core-training-the-score-editor/1-1-introduction-welcome?afid=H9yKpLNH73

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 18.18.16.png

• Solution

I've found that four bar repeats are a bit of a contentious issue.

Among the score writers I'm only aware of Sibelius offering this feature.

One bar and two bar repeats are very obvious as far as which measure(s) are affected. Four bar repeats essentially visually start and end with an empty measure because stretching the repeat sign over all four bars looks weird and would require a "stretchable" sign to begin with because one can never know how large those bars are. This in turn is not working well for (sight) reading such repeats.

• Like 1

Yep thanks for the replies, I get it that it looks a bit naff, but on a chart I'm writing where there's a repeating rhytm guitar it seems appropriate. I'm aware its frowned upon by serious pagianators! Maybe I should just write the chords once I've shown the rhythm and annotate 'freely'!

Thanks all!

Edited by Gridscape

2 hours ago, Gridscape said:

Yep thanks for the replies, I get it that it looks a bit naff, but on a chart I'm writing where there's a repeating rhytm guitar it seems appropriate. I'm aware its frowned upon by serious pagianators! Maybe I should just write the chords once I've shown the rhythm and annotate 'freely'!

Thanks all!

I was actually laughing at Logics lacking this in scores. the part box has soo many thing's i'll never use, then you just want something simple like a repeat bar symbol and they don't have it.

i actually didn't know about that symbol so thanks, now i do!

i actually would dumb it down as much as possible, so much easier just looking in one place. I would rather the 'riffs' and structure separated totally... but then the whole thing together as well, eventually hahaha because once the songs are more familliar, there are too many licks added, so each bar or riff becomes different anyway

The score part of Logic is interesting, has just enough functionality to do basic edits but it provides all of its musical symbols as annotations that you can stick anywhere. would be great if they actually affected the midi. kool to see that repeat symbol works pretty good, for 1 or 2 bar repeats anyway :S

• Like 1

how important is the score? I use tuxguitar which is a pain as it only edits one note at a time but it's easy, time consuming though.. actually better the devil you know, I'd just polish it up then add whatever logic has and forget about the 4 bar repeat, depends on your situation though, i couldnt be bothered learning a new app. I just wish that guitar pro was as easy to use as it used to be, i think its really useless now there's sooooooooo much it can do, too many features, i just want it to spit out what i put in and not have to configure every note or go through a full size menu to find 'add bar'... well i could whinge for a bit hahaha

• Like 1

Well - I have to produce integrated parts for a 20 piece orchestra so probably going off piste to another tool just for guitar doesn't work. I've seen Guitar Pro - seemed good but not worth me spending time with it.

You'd think it might be worth Logic upping the game a bit on Score? I won't hold my breath 🙂

• Like 1

what are you we trying to do? - this is an old thread with some new comments. can someone be specific as to what they think logic can't do so I can attempt to address it.

as an example 4 bar repeats....

Logic is very powerful and yes not always intuitive - so you have to ask questions before you can make the assumption it can't do something....

4 BAR REPEAT2.gif

• Like 2