Routing MIDI Without The Environment

yarns
Go to solution Solved by wonshu,

I have a scripter plugin that takes the MIDI input (from drums) and filters notes (snare, kick, ...) then does some stuff to output notes for a software instrument (bass guitar).

Before they deprecated the MIDI environment I would just hook up a drummer channel as a side chain (i think that's what you call splitting or copying the MIDI output?) into a software instrument channel with my scripter plugin. It's like an auto bass player jam buddy thingy widget 😂🙄

how do I hook it up now, without the environment available? so that one MIDI channel sends it's messages to another channel without affecting the output (so like the drummer still plays normally but also sends it's played notes to another channel).

TL:DR: I have to duplicate my old project so that the environment is there, which they preserved for legacy compatibility. It's a pain for existing projects though because I have to copy everything over and whatever, it's a pain in the @$$#°13 :S

ok now remind me how do i hook up the drummer channel to another one?

I just fudge it and guess until it works usually hahahaha 🤪

I drag that control on the top right of the channel to the destination channel.. is that correct or all i should be doing?

Edited by yarns

just to have it send the notes to the other channel as well, without disturbing the original channel. like just copy the stream of midi notes to the other channel?

it seems to work fine! latency isn't a problem. ah! maybe that's the goal, is there another way to do this that has less latency? or is a more common workflow, just cause the environment seems to be something that apple doesn't want you to use any more. never know if you don't ask right?

I am not entirely clear on what you were asking in your first post, but it sounds like you're asking how to route the output from the drummer (after going through Scripter) to a secondary channel.  That is not directly possible in LogicPro.  You can record regions and alias them. you can use an external instrument channel to route over IAC and back around to multiple destination channels.

3 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

I am not entirely clear on what you were asking in your first post, but it sounds like you're asking how to route the output from the drummer (after going through Scripter) to a secondary channel.  That is not directly possible in LogicPro.  You can record regions and alias them. you can use an external instrument channel to route over IAC and back around to multiple destination channels.

the scripter is on the second channel, i have it all working after i dragged that little icon in the top left to the other channel. i'll get a screen shot

• Like 1