Rule for multiple bus-routing, preventing an error (advice, tip, trick) - to be discussed

Sir Hannes

Hi,

for my session I found out an important bus rule: Do not rout a bus onto a main-bus, if 1st bus gets an send and the return gets to the main-bus, too. No sidechain involved.

Why would you do that: Sum-Processing with a send, which is part of a drum-set.
Logic-Example: Using DMD on Bus 1. Process a sub-group on Bus 2 and this group needs a typical FX-parallel-processing (no compression). So a send takes this to Bus 3 FX and returns it to the DMD-sum, to Bus 1.

What happens: In my session, LogicPro claims after a while that a plugin causes trouble, I should restart Logic or try to re-activate. Message appears 2x, then it really re-activates all plugins (StockPlugins, PA, Soundtoys, CableGuys). After a while, I can run the session again, for some time. Issue is back.

Solution: Do not use sends within busses. I took the process-bus to StereoOutput. Now all issues are gone. I do not like it, because it separates what needs to be together as a group. I need a track for automation in the song, so I want it to its dedicated track and not combined to not make the already existing lanes more messy.

I would expect a message to prevent that. If I can route in the digital domain, I will route to get my artistic vision done.

If this helps/ you expect the same, after this is discussed @David Nahmani you might to shift this into the Tips and Tricks section?

Edited by Sir Hannes

18 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

you might to shift this into the Tips and Tricks section

This sound like a bug rather so it needs to go into the Bugs & Workarounds section instead IMO?

BTW can you post an example project in which this happens? I'm not sure if I understood your description correctly. A Mixer screenshot would do as well I think.