Logic Pro tracks not working

BigSexyYoghurt

I'm assuming that i pressed some kind of shortcut?

As you can see by the picture, the midi track above the selected one is working just fine. The one below (selected) however, isn't working at all. The volume slider is turned down but the numbers don't change. The Pan is showing a right pan but the little line is straight (the normal pan doesn't work at all). The plug-ins, being stock plug-ins, are also not working even tho they can be added and removed. The midi notes don't work either and changing the output will always have stereo output show. Same thing happening with audio tracks too btw. It's like logic just won't let me use more tracks.

Anyone got any ideas what can cause this? Restarting isn't working either. What's weird is that it's only in this project. In other projects, this happened too and it was never a problem for the others, always just for the one i was using. 

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 21.37.31.png

Have you turned the track off? Right click on the track header, choose Track Header Components -> On/Off to show the power button, and check whether it's on or off of that track.

If you want to change the pan setting (you have it set to "Stereo Pan" and you've brought in the left side a bit), you can right click it and choose "Balance".

I have tried that but nothing changes. When adding or removing track components, the working tracks get affected, the broken ones however, don't. When the working tracks are turned off, they will automatically turn on as soon as there's a plugin added to them. The broken ones don't change when adding plugins.

My only solution so far, was to take a project that was working and just redoing everything.

Edited by BigSexyYoghurt
Grammar

So are you saying, the track wasn't turned off?

If you zip up the project (data only, no assets to keep it small) we can take a look at it and maybe give suggestions.

That's correct, it wasn't turned off.

I don't have anything called data or data related. What i do have though  is a blank Project that has exactly 37 tracks that work and some tracks that don't work. Could you perhaps check if you face the same problem with that project? If you want, you can try duplicating the broken track at the bottom. It should let you create 4 working ones before it breaks again.

Whats also interesting, is that after deleting and restoring another one of these broken projects, it let me create one working track after i believe 4 or 5 broken ones. Then it created broken ones before it created empty ones. (Attachment)

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 01.29.51.png

12 minutes ago, BigSexyYoghurt said:

I don't have anything called data or data related.

By "data" I meant just the project, no audio files, assets or other things.

Could you perhaps check if you face the same problem with that project?

Okies...

If you want, you can try duplicating the broken track at the bottom.

So it's the track at the bottom that's broken in this way I should be looking at?

Edit: Wow this project is 2GB! 😮 Ugh, it's 1.85 GB of audio files in there that I asked to not include... 😫 (The actual project data is 15MB).

I see a whole bunch of tracks with an E.Piano instrument loaded. They all work fine for me.

However, I did dupe the bottom one four times and I do see this track in this "broken" state (the plugin is dimmed), so I'm having a look to see if there's anything I can see (if it's related to project corruption, this might be difficult, of course)...

Here's that project with just that broken track (960K zipfile, for anyone else who wants to have a look). For me, when I load it, the track comes up with the plugin inactive, but when I select the track (to play it) the plugin wakes up and comes alive. (And I can dupe that track without problems)

test.logicx.zip

This might just be a project corruption thing in your source project... I'm still having a look...

Yeah, there's definite weird behaviour going on there. If I delete all the tracks but the last one, things are fine. Two of the track, when you select them, *do not* select tracks in the mixer view, so those track objects don't exist even in All view, and if you delete them and create more dupes, those "broken" tracks get reused and you get some funky behaviour.

This is definitely a project corruption thing imo - if you delete those tracks that don't select a corresponding channel strip (it seems that audio objects 37 and 38 are both reused), the funkiness goes away, so the track corruption is probably on those tracks.

• Like 1

For me, when I load it, the track comes up with the plugin inactive, but when I select the track (to play it) the plugin wakes up and comes alive.

Interesting. That never happened to me. In the one i sent you, you could load another plug in, another instrument or do anything with it and it won't budge. If you were to change the output, the output changes but visually it still says stereo out. And the regular panning doesn't work either. Nor does the volume fader. Is it the same for you in the project i sent you? 

I'm having a look to see if there's anything I can see (if it's related to project corruption, this might be difficult, of course)...

Thank you! Let me know if you have any news, i'm having this problem for a while now and it's driving me nuts

6 minutes ago, BigSexyYoghurt said:

After creating 40 new tracks everything worked fine. Then i created the 43rd track and every next one (no43 included) is broken again.

Thanks, let me try this...

Edit: Yes, I see this too, and I was watching the audio track objects Logic assigns to see whether it reused any, and it didn't. The first track was 40, then it loops through 1-39, skips 40 (as it's already created that object), then 41, and then 42 comes up inactive. It seems to be around those channel strip objects around 40 where the weirdness starts to happen.

I'll try this again on a new project, not based on your project, which will help determine if this is only because your project is corrupted, or whether it's a more general Logic bug... bear with me...

Edit: Yes, this behaviour does not happen in a new fresh project. So pretty sure it's an artefact of some corruption in that Logic file that's causing weird behaviour.

Yes, this behaviour does not happen in a new fresh project. So pretty sure it's an artefact of some corruption in that Logic file that's causing weird behaviour

Ok cool (or not). I can report the same here. Funny enough, this only happens sometimes sometime. There's no real factor as to why or when it happens. I tried pushing a working project and created 1045 tracks. after exactly 230 it stopped working and showed the corruptive behaviour. I suppose that's because logic has a storage saving algorithm of some sorts? Perhaps in the corrupted files, it thinks it's already at the limit? Just a theory tho

Just now, BigSexyYoghurt said:

I tried pushing a working project and created 1045 tracks. after exactly 230 it stopped working and showed the corruptive behaviour.

Was that project created from the same project template as this one? Or was that project created from a new, empty scratch project?

If the latter, that would indicate some bug that's happening (for some reason) - if the former, then it's all projects that start from the already corrupted template, so that corruption will occur in all projects created from the template...

Was that project created from the same project template as this one?

Honestly i can't tell. My projects are an endless template cycle so i can imagine it was created from a corrupted one too. Though it also could not be as i've recently created some new fresh templates. I suspect a bug to be the problem as well though.