"Global" highlight shortcut?

hecksome
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I've just recently discovered the beauty of the "Cut section between locators (global)" shortcut which has saved a ton of time when I'm changing arrangements, or editing music to shorter versions. That got me thinking: is there an easy way to highlight or select everything within the locators, including global information? For instance if I highlight one four bar chunk of a single track and then turn on cycle for that region, I want to be able to grab everything at that time, plus the markers, so I can copy it, move it around, etc.

Is there a shortcut or a workflow recommendation for this? Highlighting all the regions in the edit window isn't cumbersome, but then I have to shift click on the individual markers, which is annoying.

Thanks!

How would cut/insert time work if I wanted to for example, copy a verse and pre chorus and copy and drag that to the end of the session?

Actually, I just discovered "copy section between locators" but it's not copying the markers when I then move the playhead to a blank spot at the end of the session and then paste...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, hecksome said:

Actually, I just discovered "copy section between locators" but it's not copying the markers when I then move the playhead to a blank spot at the end of the session and then paste...

Make sure you use the Global version of the commands "Copy Section Between Locators (Global)", and "Insert Section at Playhead (Global)". Look for them in the key Commands window in case you don't have any key combinations assigned to them.

J. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hecksome said:

Beyond Jordi's global KC mentioned....you can quickly create markers by the selected region (so in your - or any - copy/paste scenario in the Tracks window, the pasted object/s would be "selected").
Press Option-Shift-' to create a marker based on the selected region.

• Like 2

I'm actually still stumped... the "copy section between locators (global)" doesn't paste the markers. Do I have to do something more fancy than just paste?

I didn't know that create marker based on a region shortcut, that's a great one. It's great that it names the marker based on the region. Super handy. Thanks oscwilde!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hecksome said:

I'm actually still stumped... the "copy section between locators (global)" doesn't paste the markers. Do I have to do something more fancy than just paste?

You’re missing the second command I mentioned:

6 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

“Copy Section Between Locators (Global)", and "Insert Section at Playhead (Global)"

So the “Copy…” one for copying, and the “Insert…” one for pasting (inserting) the section with markers and all.

J.

• Like 2

• Solution
6 hours ago, hecksome said:

I didn't know that create marker based on a region shortcut, that's a great one. It's great that it names the marker based on the region. Super handy.

You can also drag any region into the marker track (the global track). It will create a marker of the same color and name. 

11 hours ago, hecksome said:

How would cut/insert time work if I wanted to for example, copy a verse and pre chorus and copy and drag that to the end of the session?

Don't drag. Do this: 

1. Set your locators to span your verse and pre chorus,
  2. Choose Edit > Cut/Insert Time > Copy Section Between Locators,
  3. Place your playhead to the end of the session,
  4. Choose Edit > Cut/Insert Time > Insert Section at Playhead.
  • Like 3