Insert Silence Automations regions "safety"

EEE
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello,

I am having issues every time I need to insert silence in a track. I select the length I need and click insert silence between locators, click on the prompt 'move global events' (I think this preserve the automations too?) and click on 'Add signature change to preserve signature'. I notice that the automations are also moved, but new automations points are created on each track from the point the silence is created, adding a lot of confusion and work to remove each point. Normally, to avoid the risk to mess the finished tracks, I keep them frozen while adding new material (any advise on a better workflow is also welcome), but when adding silence I have to unfreeze them, otherwise they wont move to create space, so after noticing the creation of these new automation points, I wonder if something else risks to be messed up..

Is there a way to avoid this to happen? Is adding silence definitely safe to automations and regions locations, or can be problematic?

thanks!

Elena

• Solution

This is necessary to preserve the automation. For example imagine a volume slope from 0 to 100 from bar 1 to bar 9. If you insert silence at bar 5, you need the volume slope from 0 to 50 from bar 1 to bar 5, then a flat automation curve in the part you've inserted, then a slope... 

So to jump from a slope to a curve, then a curve to a slope, Logic needs to create new automation point. 

Because of that Logic always creates automation points, no matter the shape of your automation curve (even if the new automation points may not be necessary). 

5 minutes ago, EEE said:

Is there a way to avoid this to happen?

No. 

6 minutes ago, EEE said:

Is adding silence definitely safe to automations and regions locations, or can be problematic?

Yes, it's safe. 

• Like 1

Hello David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have two more questions:

1- Is there any way I can insert the silence and avoiding the regions to split, or better, select the regiors I wnt to split or move instead of this to happen to all of them? And is it best to ‘ Move’ or ‘Don’t move’ global events when the promt pops up?

2- Is there a way to keep regions ‘protected’ in terms of automation and their position between other regions in the same track or on other tracks, as if they were ‘frozen’, while for example manually moving them to create silent parts, instead of using the silence function? I understand this might not sound like the best opt, but I still don’t feel confident with the results using the Silence command.

Thank you!

E

4 minutes ago, EEE said:

1- Is there any way I can insert the silence and avoiding the regions to split, or better, select the regiors I wnt to split or move instead of this to happen to all of them?

Yes, you need to use the key command Insert Silence Between Locators (Selection)*

6 minutes ago, EEE said:

2- Is there a way to keep regions ‘protected’ in terms of automation and their position between other regions in the same track or on other tracks, as if they were ‘frozen’, while for example manually moving them to create silent parts, instead of using the silence function?

Yes, either convert the track automation to region automation, or choose Logic Pro > Settings > Automation and set Move Track Automation with Regions to "Always". 

Thanks David for the quick reply.

1- When I use 'Insert Silence Between Locators' and I select, using the yellow locator, the amount of silence I want to add, then all the regions split and move. What am I don't wrong? - I only see the option ' Insert Silence Between Locators' '(Global)' - Im not sure what u mean with ' (Selection)* '?

2- I do have sent 'Move Track Automation with Regions to "Always" ',  but how about keeping them 'protected' their position between other regions in the same track or on other tracks? maybe not possible right? I would habe to bounce them maybe?

thanks!

1 - I have just tried the Insert Silence (Selection)*, still the regions move and split, you can see the blue regions splitting..🤔

2 - “how about keeping them 'protected' their position between other regions in the same track or on other tracks?" .. Here I meant, if it is possible to protect them like when using the 'freeze' command, but this time freezing only a block of regions, so that they won't move in respect to one another or also other tracks, but still I would be able to operate on the track, add silence etc..as opposite as when it is actually 'frozen' using the command. Eg. Keeping this block of regions locked to each other, see last image.

thank you! i hope I am more clear this time
E

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 22.19.58.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 22.14.41.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 21.59.38.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 21.59.50.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 22.01.55.png

On 1/7/2024 at 10:24 PM, EEE said:

you can see the blue regions splitting..🤔

They are apparently selected before you use the key command?

If you don't want to insert silence on those tracks then do not select the regions before you use the insert silence (selection) key command. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...