Macbook pro for Film Scoring

Hi folks !

I have macbook pro 2015 8gb ram i5 and It's not enough for me anymore. I am searching new macbook pro and I found one ıt's have m2max,2tb, 96 gb, 38c... If we consider about big libraries, a lot of plugin and automation What do you think about this spec ? Thank you so much...

That’s decent.

It’s entirely the RAM you need to be concerning yourself with for film scoring these days, which will most always push us into buying the Max processors. I have an Intel Mac that’s maxed out at 64 GB; my next purchase will have 128, maybe 192 depending on my financial situation when I’m ready to purchase. Depending on the sizes of your sessions, 96 GB is pretty good.

I’ve only recently become aware of the effect that M2 and M3 processors have for audio in Logic—with fewer performance cores and more efficiency cores, I’m hearing that the older the processor, the slightly more capable it is. That may also factor into your decision.

On 2/26/2024 at 4:58 PM, lookatthisguy said:

That’s decent.

It’s entirely the RAM you need to be concerning yourself with for film scoring these days, which will most always push us into buying the Max processors. I have an Intel Mac that’s maxed out at 64 GB; my next purchase will have 128, maybe 192 depending on my financial situation when I’m ready to purchase. Depending on the sizes of your sessions, 96 GB is pretty good.

I’ve only recently become aware of the effect that M2 and M3 processors have for audio in Logic—with fewer performance cores and more efficiency cores, I’m hearing that the older the processor, the slightly more capable it is. That may also factor into your decision.

huh? 64 -96g ram should be more than enough for anything on a modern mac. and where did you 'hear' that older processors are more capable?  @Unique's spec'd macbook above should kill anything earlier, and handle everything well.

Well... we score film and we often have to merge several themes into one - I've hit the "limit" on my MacStudio with 128GB recently. Yes, it's only short term, until we clean out and remove 400 unnecessary tracks - but at first, you have to bring it all together to find out how you're going to work the cue...

But it really depends on everyones workflow... 

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

huh? 64 -96g ram should be more than enough for anything on a modern mac. and where did you 'hear' that older processors are more capable?  @Unique's spec'd macbook above should kill anything earlier, and handle everything well.

Not for film scoring. During the creative phase, we deal almost entirely with sample libraries. As impressive as the output gains are in Apple silicon, the workflow is still the same—a ton of samples are loading into the RAM. The more you’ve got, the more instruments you can use, the better (as in more realistic) your MIDI mockup can be.

There have been several videos on YouTube at this point. They’re all anecdotal tests, but the balance of performance cores vs. efficiency cores has shifted over the three generations, and it seems that not all DAWs (including Logic) are all that good at balancing the workload across the types of cores. In the tests I’ve seen, people are able to run more simultaneous tracks on M1-series chips than M3. Again, anecdotal, and it may only be a handful of tracks, but it’s still something on my radar.

23 minutes ago, lookatthisguy said:

Not for film scoring. During the creative phase, we deal almost entirely with sample libraries. As impressive as the output gains are in Apple silicon, the workflow is still the same—a ton of samples are loading into the RAM. The more you’ve got, the more instruments you can use, the better (as in more realistic) your MIDI mockup can be.

There have been several videos on YouTube at this point. They’re all anecdotal tests, but the balance of performance cores vs. efficiency cores has shifted over the three generations, and it seems that not all DAWs (including Logic) are all that good at balancing the workload across the types of cores. In the tests I’ve seen, people are able to run more simultaneous tracks on M1-series chips than M3. Again, anecdotal, and it may only be a handful of tracks, but it’s still something on my radar.

yep, anecdotal.

my own film work (on an m2 macmini pro) has been great. still, neither of us speaks for everyone, and i tend to go with facts, specs.. over youtube 'tests'...

On 2/28/2024 at 1:56 PM, fisherking said:

yep, anecdotal.

my own film work (on an m2 macmini pro) has been great. still, neither of us speaks for everyone, and i tend to go with facts, specs.. over youtube 'tests'...

Sure, but what facts or specs? Nothing has been discussed here besides the fact that successive Pro processors seem to be weighting toward more efficiency cores and fewer performance cores. I haven't delved much into what I saw on those videos, where the efficiency cores were simply not being used by Logic, but coming from an 8-core Intel, I wouldn't want to see those cores at 0%.

More anecdotes here, but my degree is in screen scoring, and several of my classmates and professors came to me to discuss their Mac Studio purchases (because until my career takes off (fingers crossed), my day job is selling Macs), and none of them went for less than 64 GB. The ones that did only did so because that's what they could afford at the time. I simply don't agree that "64 -96g ram should be more than enough for anything on a modern mac"— in most cases, yes, absolutely. But for the type of work we're doing, I'd rather not concern myself with concerns of a potential bottleneck down the road.

Of course, one could argue that by the time you're maxing out that computer, you ought to be flush enough with work to be able to afford buying a new one. It's a nice thought… not inherently as true as it may have once been, but I digress. I would definitely agree that unless OP is (already) an orchestral mockup wunderkind, this build is likely to run fantastically for a long time to come.