Volume Automation Basic Question

Music Spirit
Go to solution Solved by enossified,

I dont really use Automation that much .. so hence a basic question!

Suppose you want to fade in a Track using the Slider - and once you reach a certain Volume you want the Track to remain at that Volume for the Entire Project.

What Automation mode would you use ( Latch/Write/Touch)?

No matter what I use when Set to "Read" the Slider  follows the early automation but then jumps back to up to Unity 'Mean Volume)

Thanks - yes, Latch is the one... though it seems you have to let the entire Track 'run' to the end  in Latch mode to get the Volume to 'write' and  stay the same level.

I was hoping that you could do say...30secs fade up the Track and then change straight to 'Read'  - but that does not preserve the last volume level that you were at..

Perhaps the solution is to go into the Volume Automation and just drag the last node so the level line stays the same for the rest of the Track... ?

1 hour ago, Music Spirit said:

though it seems you have to let the entire Track 'run' to the end  in Latch mode to get the Volume to 'write' and  stay the same level.

No, you don't have to do that. If there are no other automation nodes later on the track, it will automatically stay at the last written value (e.g. -3 db), for the rest of the track. 

I was hoping that you could do say...30secs fade up the Track and then change straight to 'Read'  - but that does not preserve the last volume level that you were at..

You could, and it should preserve that last written value (e.g. -3 db) (as long as there are no other automation points later in the track). 

Perhaps the solution is to go into the Volume Automation and just drag the last node so the level line stays the same for the rest of the Track... ?

If you have nodes later on the track, simply show automation (press A to toggle on/off), and highlight the existing nodes, and then press delete. That will remove those, and stay at the last written value (e.g. -3 db).

• Like 1
  • Love 1