Audio cutting out while input monitoring or recording

Oulie

I downloaded the latest version of Logic Pro today. I have my guitar plugged into a 3rd Gen Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. While input monitoring and strumming guitar the audio will intermittently cut out. The lights on my Focusrite appear to be registering my strums when the sound is cutting out on the computer. I tried recording and upon playback there is also intermittent cut out. Please help. 

Given the cutouts are happening on playback, this is being recorded....which would indicate the problem is happening before the computer.

i.e. possibly the USB cable, but unlikely (I'd assume no USB hub is being used - this is a BAD idea when it comes to audio hardware)
it could be the guitar cable or a scratchy pot on the guitar....
it could also be an issue with the input on the Scarlett

Try on the other input to rule out a few of the above, and let us know.

On 1/15/2024 at 10:21 PM, oscwilde said:

i.e. possibly the USB cable, but unlikely (I'd assume no USB hub is being used - this is a BAD idea when it comes to audio hardware)
it could be the guitar cable or a scratchy pot on the guitar....
it could also be an issue with the input on the Scarlett

…or use of an unregistered plug-in...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Same problem for me: inputs recognised with my instrument (bass) having crackling sound + some random notes that are clear for one second vs 95% of them in total crackle + super faint.
I've troubleshooted with different things:

External
- Interphases: Behringer (4 inputs), IRig 2, Scarlett as well as with an Apollo Twin X
- Jacks: 3x different jacks
- Pedal to usb-c: Adam pedal through USB-C to USB-C as well as USB-C to USB-A converter to usb-c for mac.
- Instruments: 2x different basses, guitar, Gaia 2 keyboard as well as a constant soundwave with different hertz as an input.
- Outputs (checking if it's a sound issue): Bluetooth headphones, mini jack output, usb-c outputs.

In Logic
- Uninstalling Logic --> Re-installing
- Plug-in Manager: Deactivated all the plugins (UAD, Neural DSP, Built in Logic plugins)
• Internal microphone & internal instruments work
- Changed Buffer size + Process Buffer Range
- Monitor System Performance/Performance Meter (in Logic for RAM + Drive I/O). No issue in there.
- Tested all the inputs (with Behringer + Apollo Twin X interphases)

General Hardware
- Updates: Re-updated my computer to sonoma 14.3 + re-updated Logic (now to 10.8.1)
- Files: In Library --> Preferences -->  Deleted apple.logic.plist (plist extension. File name am unsure what exactly it was called. Did this with a teacher that knew what they were doing). 
- General preferences: Reset PRAM (turning off/on computer, clicking option+cmd+P+R)
- Apps: Quitting all running apps except for Logic
- Activity Monitor: All systems are running perfectly fine (no system overload)
- Fyi, licence was paid (not a cracked logic). Computer is 3 years old (2021).

Garageband
- Garageband works perfectly fine (also tried to run garageband and logic at the same time and switching between the two. Garageband monitoring/input sound worked, Logic didn't).

-->-->-->
There was no issue in any of these. However the problem remains. What can be done? Please help

@Jonhavingaproblemwithlogic

Unplug all interfaces, the pedal and all keyboards, except for one - say the Scarlett.
Plug it directly into the Mac....not thru a hub.
Test your bass directly plugged into the I/F (no external processor/pre-amp)..... in a brand new project with no plug-ins....and let us know what happens.

Is your 2021 Mac an Intel or Apple Silicon machine?

oh...and make sure this is set to Standard.

image.png.c0d828af117f3f9eb35fb9ec0a34a493.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonhavingaproblemwithlogic said:

sadly I've also tried changing + resetting the access to microphone for Logic and other apps. Still having the issue...

That's not it, the point is to set the mic to "Standard" mode...

• Like 2