Audio engine crashes

omar17166

Hi. Is anyone experiencing audio engine stops in logic. I often open a project, everything sounds fine, but then when I open a SW instrument track and try to play the sound using my midi controller, all sound disappears. I often need to restart logic to regain sound. 

On 8/1/2023 at 11:59 PM, Atlas007 said:

Is your signature/systems specs up to date?

Thanks Atlas007. Yes, my signature is up to date, and is latest as much as my HW allows.

I just wanted to mention that when I have the problem sometimes it can be solved by restarting the "coreaudiod" process. Other times I need to restart logic altogether. 

On 7/31/2023 at 9:37 AM, omar17166 said:

but then when I open a SW instrument track and try to play the sound using my midi controller, all sound disappears. I often need to restart logic to regain sound. 

It may be you have MIDI driver problems, and a MIDI event is looping back or crashing the engine. If you don't plugin your controller in, but instead try to play sound using the inbuilt musical typing feature, do you still get the same problem?

2 hours ago, des99 said:

It may be you have MIDI driver problems, and a MIDI event is looping back or crashing the engine. If you don't plugin your controller in, but instead try to play sound using the inbuilt musical typing feature, do you still get the same problem?

Thank you des99. This is worth a try. Will report back.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry it took a long time. This problem is so random and very annoying.
Here are fresh discoveries/ideas:

- It does not seem related with MIDI inputs or controller issues.
- It can happen occasionally when I change plugin/library in a track.
- It can happen when I select a new instrument within a library inside a track.
- It can happen when I add a new track and connect a new library/instrument.
- Not sure it happens when using the stock plugins or instruments.
- So far I only noticed it with dense libraries like kontakt/kontakt7 and EW Opus.

- The quickest way to restore audio is by going to
   Logic Pro->Preferences->Audio - Then Core Audio-> Disable and Core Audio-> Enable ..

Another problem I noticed is if I'm playing another sound on the computer (e.g. a youtube video), this will be accompanied by clear crackling noises if Logic happens to be up and running, but not if I quit Logic or if I turn off Core Audio in Logic, as above.

I realise this problem is mostly specific to my environment, I am just hoping may be somebody came across similar.