Selecting a region in the Score Editor

Harriet
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I think I must be missing something really basic here, and I need to understand what it is so that I can read up on it (in David's book, or Rothermich, or if absolutely necessary the manual).

In Settings > General > Editing I have enabled the option "Select tracks on region/marquee selection". As a result, if I select a region by clicking on it in the Tracks area, the track containing that region is automatically selected.

If I then use the up/down arrow keys to select a region on another track, that track is selected.

In the Score Editor, selecting a region by clicking on it has the same effect: its track is automatically selected.

But: if, in the Score Editor, I use the up/down arrow keys to select a region on another track, that region's track is not selected. The track originally selected (i.e. the one containing the region I clicked on) remains selected.

Can anyone explain this, please?

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

If I then use the up/down arrow keys to select a region on another track, that track is selected.

By default (in the U.S. Preset) the up/down arrow keys select the previous/next track, not region. 

Assuming default Logic settings, then what you're experiencing is that when you use the up/down arrows to select the previous/next track, the region on the selected track get selected as a result of the track selection, not the other way around. 

When the Score editor has key focus, the up/down keys select the previous/next staff. This works only if you can see multiple staves, and in that case it also selects the corresponding region(s) in the Tracks area. 

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 12.22.14 AM.png

11 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

By default (in the U.S. Preset) the up/down arrow keys select the previous/next track, not region. 

Assuming default Logic settings, then what you're experiencing is that when you use the up/down arrows to select the previous/next track, the region on the selected track get selected as a result of the track selection, not the other way around.

Sorry, of course I should have realised that. It's a bit confusing that the left/right arrow keys do select different regions on the same track, but I think I understand.

11 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

When the Score editor has key focus, the up/down keys select the previous/next staff. This works only if you can see multiple staves, and in that case it also selects the corresponding region(s) in the Tracks area.

I'm with you so far. What I don't understand is the effect this has (or doesn't have) on the track selection. Assuming that the Score Editor has key focus:

(1) Clicking on a staff selects not only the corresponding region but also the track containing it. This happens even if "Select tracks on region/marquee selection" is disabled.

(2) Selecting a staff with the up/down arrow keys selects the corresponding region but not the track containing it. Enabling "Select tracks on region/marquee selection" makes no difference to this.

I don't understand why there should be a difference between selecting a staff by clicking on it and selecting it with the arrow keys. And I also don't understand why, when the Score Editor has key focus, Logic appears to be ignoring the status of "Select tracks on region/marquee selection".

• Solution
37 minutes ago, Harriet said:

(1) Clicking on a staff selects not only the corresponding region but also the track containing it. This happens even if "Select tracks on region/marquee selection" is disabled.

Yes, I am seeing the same behavior here. 

39 minutes ago, Harriet said:

(2) Selecting a staff with the up/down arrow keys selects the corresponding region but not the track containing it. Enabling "Select tracks on region/marquee selection" makes no difference to this.

Again same behavior here. 

This seems to be a bug. 

Can confirm it is a bug. I reported it mid Feb. and Mike Audio emailed me for more info. Here's what I sent on Feb. 22:

Hi Mike,

See attached .zip. At :48 in the video I click the Studio Strings instrument name in the Score window and press Opt.+V. The instrument that pops up is Studio Horns, not Studio Strings.

So clicking the Studio Strings instrument name in the Score window to the left of the stave does select the correct region in the Tracks window, but does not select the correct track (Studio Strings). It should, considering Settings > General > Editing > Select tracks on region/marquee selection is ticked. This is inconsistent with clicking directly on the stave in the Score window, the correct region AND track are highlighted in both windows.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Eric

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LyXeCupk84bSTmOUUglpKARC65E6-yeT/view?usp=sharing

Edited by eakwarren
  • Like 2