Score Editor Midi Quantization Method to create 32nd Notes for only one beat?

OldNewbie
Go to solution Solved by Plowman,

Hi,

LPX newbie, here. With help from my composing partner who's never stopped working, I'm slowly getting back into scoring after a 10 year break with LPX 10.6.3 coming from Finale on my refurbed Mid-2012 Intel MacBook Pro w/ OSX Catalina.

However, my Midi college trained composing skills are strictly old-school notation via Score Editor, an LPX area where my partner is unfamiliar, even with his own formal training skills, since he only knows & uses Piano Roll, & had previously used Logic to tweak all of our combined final mixed pieces to humanize them, back in the day.

I'm at 99.9% with my starter 4/4 piano part he needs for his 2nd album's final song, I just need to nail a short diatonic middle E Maj. octave Gliss flourish on the 3rd beat up to the 4th to finish it.

I've always manually notated glisses over the years as the norm, the so-called "Easy" 'Bravura symbol or piano roll 'Port' effects, are completely foreign to me. This said, I can't find a way to isolate the quantization for said 3rd beat's 16th note values in the piano part midi region to force change to 32nd notes for the quick EMaj. Octave run, without the entire part being changed.

So how can I force this quick change for ONLY the 3rd beat, what I am missing here that I can't restrict it without changing everything else? I'm still scraping my rusty composing skills off, in addition to dealing with a LPX score editor basic learning-curve phase, but it was never this hard in Finale, even with it's own initial learning- curve.

So ANY advice specific to Score Editor in order to do this?

Edited by OldNewbie

• Solution

In the following movie, the Score format is the common 16/24 setting. The underlying notes on the third beat are thirty-seconds. The key signature (unseen) is E major.

Double-clicking on the tuplet marking ("3") will open a window in which you can reset the note durations per beat. Yes, it is odd that one clicks on a tuplet to make thirty-second notes. It's somewhat of a hidden feature. (Septuplets are also done this way.)

If the tuplets do not appear automatically, they can be dragged onto the beginning of the third beat from the Parts Box, and if the actual notes (observable in Piano Roll) are metrically correct, you should be able to coax this printout. 

Good on you for forging ahead with Logic Score after a more dedicated engraving program. If you struggle with this, you might try excising the bar in question and posting it. Someone here should help. 

Inserting32ndNotesina1624Format.gif.5ce9f3af860760ec589551654161ffff.gif

Thank you so much, it worked & the part is done, it just took me a while to get used to my Tuplet division again, which is almost equal to math which I always hated, but the upside is the joy of making music again!

• Like 1