Problem w/ NI Maschine Mikro MK3 as MIDI Controller

rg-betis

Hello,

I'm a little unsure even of how to describe this problem. I don't know where the break in the chain of functionality is.

What I am aiming to do is use the Maschine Mikro MK3 pads as a MIDI controller, while using its transport controls as a Logic controller.

MacOS Ventura 13.6.4, Logic latest update, and I just reinstalled all relevant NI software to cover my bases.

Here is the information I have:

1. My MIDI hardwares are a Maschine Mikro MK3 drumpad and a Komplete Kontrol S88 MIDI keyboard

2. I have no problems whatsoever using the S88 keyboard as a midi controller in Logic, or any other 3rd party programs (like Arturia's standalone synths). Its keys work in all plugins and so do its transport controls with Logic proper.

3. But my Mikro MK3 was not triggering sound from any software instruments inside Logic, even though I can see the MIDI notes being correctly read by Logic, AND, if I record with it, it DOES record something...velocity? Some automation parameter? But triggers no sound (screenshot attached).

4. The Mikro MK3 drumpad hardware has 2 modes: Maschine (to use with NI's Maschine software -- named the same as the hardware), and MIDI (to use it as a MIDI controller, the pads mapping to plug-in drum pads and also usable as a clunky kind of melodic instrument.)

5. The Mikro hardware's "Maschine" mode is working perfectly in the Maschine standalone software and the plug-in version of the Maschine software in Logic (it opens on a SI track like any other plug-in). But the midi control mode is not working, and that's what I need.

6. The Mikro MK3 support page advertises it as being "automatically configured for advanced integration" with Logic out of the box. Requiring no setup whatsoever to use its transport controls NOR its midi functionality. Oh, yeah -- can't wait to have to troubleshoot this.

7. The Mikro MK3 hardware also uses a software from NI called Controller Editor (screenshot attached). This allows you to map hardware controller templates for different pieces of NI hardware. I have created a template in here that seems it should allow me to use both the transport controls and the pads. I did this following these instructions from NI.

8. After creating a template in Controller Editor, I went to Logic's Control Surfaces>Setup>New>Install to add (not install) a Mackie Control surface. According to NI, this Mackie Control surface should not be necessary for the Mikro MK3 because of how beautiful and automatic the "advanced integration" with Logic is. But obviously, it's not working so "automatically", otherwise I wouldn't be here.

9. But -- b/c it's not even necessary, there is no Maschine Mikro MK3 Virtual Input" available as the Mackie Control's input port (clear what I mean if you read the above instructions from NI).

10. However, in this input port slot, I DO have a Maschine Mikro MK3 option available! Except that when I use this, along with the Mackie Control profile from Controller Editor, I get back to the record-something-but-not-sound problem with playing MIDI. (screenshot attached)

11. If I use "Any" in this Input Port option, the MIDI works! It triggers sounds! But the transport controls do not work -- they have become just more midi note triggers, as well as every other button on the hardware.

12. I believe my in/out midi settings are good in the software instruments themselves, I opened the inspector in my screenshots so you can all check that too. Other MIDI hardware works fine, as I said back at the top.

As I said in the beginning, what I am aiming to do is use the pads as a MIDI controller, while using the transport controls as a Logic controller without switching templates. This should be possible, yes? What am I missing here.

NI's support articles are superficial, vague crap, the kind that assume nothing could ever actually break (see: "automatically configured for advanced integration"). I have also been through between 10-15 other sites and videos, none of which are addressing this confluence of problems. And I came here because I think the problem is actually with the way it's integrating the MIDI+control templates in Logic. Also I reference LogicProHelp all the time to troubleshoot b/c you all are consistently smart and helpful.

Please help if you can.

Rowan

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.30.25 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.46.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.46.54 AM.png

If you are seeing MIDI notes in all the editors (Piano Roll, score, event) but not getting any sound out the software instrument, that's a Logic problem, not a Maschine problem. But I don't see any MIDI notes in your Piano Roll?

1 hour ago, rg-betis said:

If I use "Any" in this Input Port option, the MIDI works! It triggers sounds! But the transport controls do not work -- they have become just more midi note triggers, as well as every other button on the hardware.

The Mackie Control protocol uses MIDI note messages, so when you press any button that’s assigned in Mackie mode, it can trigger notes. The “Any” port selection is probably what causes this. It is routing Mackie messages to your instruments. I’ve seen this with other controllers I’ve used over the years.

I’m surprised that the Machine only shows up as a single port. Most controllers show up as multiple ports, one for notes and one or more for DAW control. My Nektar P6 shows up as four ports. Etc.

2 hours ago, rg-betis said:

As I said in the beginning, what I am aiming to do is use the pads as a MIDI controller, while using the transport controls as a Logic controller without switching templates. This should be possible, yes?

You can follow this guide as a workaround. It's meant for the Maschine MK3, but should work for the Mikro MK3 as well.

You basically assign "MCU Button" functionality (Play, Stop, etc) manually to specific buttons on the device, then make sure the pads send notes on MIDI Channel 2 to avoid possible conflicts with the MCU commands which will be sent on MIDI Channel 1.

Please keep in mind that if you have "Automatic Installation" enabled in Control Surfaces Setup > New menu, Logic will prompt you asking whether you want to "Connect" your Maschine Mikro MK3 as a Control Surface using the OSC protocol. To avoid that, check the "Don't Install automatically" box in that dialog and click "Don't connect":

Screenshot2024-03-20at18_17_12.png.d1c26ca2d2ceab9fa29ddcff26cc45e0.png

This will basically disable the Automatic Installation option under Control Surfaces Setup > New menu and prevent the annoying prompt next time.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
more info
  • Like 1