Hardware/Software controller for Logic Pro X Insert plugins

Alex Iliev

Hi geeks,

I am looking for a solution where you can load 3rd party plugins in logic via some kind of remote( no matter software or hardware). So the idea is with pushing one button to load a specific 3rd plugin in logic. I tried Elgato Stream Deck, but couldn't make it work. I even tried to apply some scripts in Elgato but without any success.

Thank you in advance,

Alex

Have you considered trying with channelstrip performances?

Save a channel strip setting as a performance

1. In Logic Pro, configure a channel strip that you want to have available as a performance.
  2. Click the Setting button, then choose Save as Performance from the pop-up menu.
  3. In the dialog that appears, enter a performance name, choose a program change number, then click OK.
  4. Send the program change number from your MIDI controller.

When a channel strip receives a program change message that corresponds to an assigned performance number, it loads this performance. All saved performances are shown in the Performance folder of the Settings pop-up menu.

The Nektar Panorama P1  controller can load instrument and audio effect plugins, but not MIDI plugins. I wouldn't call it "one button", you scroll through the plugin list using an encoder until you find the one you want. The downside is there is no way to remove plugins you never use from the list nor can you order the plugins alphabetically.

It's also total overkill unless you can make use of least some of the many other things it can do to control Logic (transport, plugin parameters, mixer control, etc.)

Hi geeks,

Thank you for your contribution. I have now had partial success with my plan how can I achieve loading specific plugins with external controllers? So from what I researched In LPX Controller Assignment menu/Expert View, there is a specific field for OSC. It is pretty clear in my had how I am supposed to make the connection between Elgato Stream Deck and LPX OSC Command, but the problem now is when I try to Learn specific function in Expert View, like loading the plugin, Logic automatically record this action, but every time with different Midi Value! Strange. So do you have experience with how can create New Controller Assignment - Key commands for opening a specific plugin? Also with this platform, you can basically create custom OSC GUI layouts for your DAW : https://hexler.net/touchosc. I believe that Cubase touch control is based on this, but I might also be wrong.

12 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Have you considered trying with channelstrip performances?

Thank you for your suggestion. However, this won't work for me, as I have a very complicated logic template with different channel strip settings already loaded on each individual channel. In order to use the CS Performance, I will have to watch out for which CS performance in which Group instruments I am using. 

Hi @Alex Iliev,

You can also "borrow" the necessary commands/controller assignments from some of the available control surface configs that come with Logic (Logic Control, Mackie Control) and then trigger them from your own MIDI controller as mentioned here:

Use a Controller button to insert plug-ins - Tips and Tricks - Logic Pro Help

If you necessarily need to use keystrokes or something other than MIDI with that Elgato Stream Deck, then you will need to go deeper and probably rely on other tools as mentioned by @Sir Hannes 

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
Mod edit: Fixed link
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi @Alex Iliev,

You can also "borrow" the necessary commands/controller assignments from some of the available control surface configs that come with Logic (Logic Control, Mackie Control) and then trigger them from your own MIDI controller as mentioned here:

Use a Controller button to insert plug-ins - Tips and Tricks - Logic Pro Help

If you necessarily need to use keystrokes or something other than MIDI with that Elgato Stream Deck, then you will need to go deeper and probably rely on other tools as mentioned by @Sir Hannes 

J.

Jordi,

The link you give doesn't work.

• Like 1

The correct link is  this one: Link

I read the discussion, but there is one crucial moment where you are supposed to have a list of all of the multiply values for each individual plugin. They may have the same number depending on the type of the 3rd party plugin e.g. Instrument, FX, Midi, etc. I will have to check where in Logic kept this information as the number are chaining dynamically. Once I have the file or the list the mapping will be easy. Let me check If I can make it work and I will create step by step guide for it. I believe it should be in :  com. apple. audiounits. cache file

Edited by Alex Iliev

Just remember when you are trying to identify/target plugins via controller assignments, everytime you change your plugin list (eg, add/remove plugins), you change the plugin indexing so it's entirely possible your assignments will break and not load the correct plugin, unless you manage this (which can be a pain).

It's better imo to use something like Keyboard Maestro and do them via the interface of Logic (even though still triggered by MIDI commands fro your controller) as it will be more reliable/dependable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

Just remember when you are trying to identify/target plugins via controller assignments, everytime you change your plugin list (eg, add/remove plugins), you change the plugin indexing so it's entirely possible your assignments will break and not load the correct plugin, unless you manage this (which can be a pain).

It's better imo to use something like Keyboard Maestro and do them via the interface of Logic (even though still triggered by MIDI commands fro your controller) as it will be more reliable/dependable.

Definitely will try this one first.

@des99,

That's good to know. Frankly I never got to play with the commands that deal with plugin instantiation as mentioned in that thread, so never experienced any potential challenges first-hand. But now that you mention doing this by interacting with the GUI, I will have to give it a try with Hammerspoon which is quite fun.

J.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

That's good to know. Frankly I never got to play with the commands that deal with plugin instantiation as mentioned in that thread, so never experienced any potential challenges first-hand.

I did - in fact I developed software specifically for this - to launch plugins in Logic. It works pretty well, but it does require a proper software approach to it this way in a way that works and doesn't keep breaking - it's actually not trivial.

If Logic would just implement a search/filter on the plugin menus, then it's a simple task for a tool to trigger that plugin entry and enter the required characters to dependably select and insert a particular plugin.

Maybe in 10.8.x (we can hope!)

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2023 at 8:53 AM, Alex Iliev said:

Hi geeks,

I am looking for a solution where you can load 3rd party plugins in logic via some kind of remote( no matter software or hardware). So the idea is with pushing one button to load a specific 3rd plugin in logic. I tried Elgato Stream Deck, but couldn't make it work. I even tried to apply some scripts in Elgato but without any success.

Thank you in advance,

Alex

Hi Alex,

You can try out PlugSearch. It let's you trigger Plug-Ins by key command or MIDI CC. It works with Stream Deck, or any other device that can send out MIDI CC.

https://speakerfood.com/pages/plugsearch-v3-product-page

If you need help setting things up, let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speakerfood said:

Hi Alex,

You can try out PlugSearch. It let's you trigger Plug-Ins by key command or MIDI CC. It works with Stream Deck, or any other device that can send out MIDI CC.

https://speakerfood.com/pages/plugsearch-v3-product-page

If you need help setting things up, let me know.

Hi,

I have been a happy owner of Plugsearch for almost a year now. I already tried to set this up with my Elgato Stream Deck, but unfortunately without any success. I followed the Plugsearch instructions _ Tried with Logic Virtual Port but for some reason, it doesn't work (I don't exclude the mistake from my end). I will be more than happy if you can assist me with this.

Cheers,

Alex