Nektar Panorama CS12 misbehaving

Tankfield
Go to solution Solved by Tankfield,

My CS12 was working perfectly last week. My studio was powered down all weekend and today the gremlins have got into my CS12/Logic Pro.

1. The Arm, Solo & Mute buttons are no longer working.
  2. If I press the Select button to control a parameter the fader does not return to controlling the selected track's volume when I press Select again. Instead it controls the Master fader.
  3. Selecting a different track with the < > buttons opens the first plugin's window, or if it's a software instrument track the instrument's window opens. I thought I had solved this issue last week, but it's back again.

I've tried:

1. Control Surfaces > Rebuild Defaults.
  2. Re-installing Control Core.
  3. Restarting the Mac.

Any suggestions anyone? @TChandler?

In Control Surfaces > Setup I deleted my NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard and the CS12 started to behave as expected.

When I turned on the NI KK keyboard and connected Logic to it, the problem returned where selecting a different track using the CS12's < > buttons opens either the track's instrument window or the first plugin window.

However, the Arm, Solo and Mute buttons still work as expected.

• Like 1

• Solution

I think I have solved it, for now.

@TChandler in a previous thread suggested accessing Controller Assignments and "locating the plugin parameter assignment on the control surface and ticking the 'exclusive' box". That worked at the time, but I could no longer find that control in Controller Assignments.

I thought last time that it was in the Control zone, but it's not there. I found it in the Navigation zone and when I highlight 'parameter()' and then tick 'Exclusive' the CS12 behaves as expected.

So it looks like operator error, compounding a mismatch between Komplete Kontrol and CS12.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tankfield said:

NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard

Interesting.
I have a KK myself (and a lot of other controllers, including a Panorama keyboard).
There is a quirk with the NI KK controllers when used in Logic in that they sometimes want to be the "first" (i.e. top-most) device in the CS window.
i.e. drag the KK icon to the top of the CS window and see if it and the CS12 will happily co-exist.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tankfield said:
  • The Arm, Solo & Mute buttons are no longer working.
  • If I press the Select button to control a parameter the fader does not return to controlling the selected track's volume when I press Select again. Instead it controls the Master fader.

You had engaged MASTER mode for the Mixer Channel section.  SHIFT+[SELECT] toggles the fader between MASTER and SELECTED CHANNEL.   When Master is active, ARM, MUTE, SOLO buttons are all disabled and off, as is the pan pot.

That said, it should be resetting to selected channel mode on restarting Logic.  I'll double check this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TChandler said:

You had engaged MASTER mode for the Mixer Channel section.  SHIFT+[SELECT] toggles the fader between MASTER and SELECTED CHANNEL.   When Master is active, ARM, MUTE, SOLO buttons are all disabled and off, as is the pan pot.

That said, it should be resetting to selected channel mode on restarting Logic.  I'll double check this.

No, I was careful not to press SHIFT+[SELECT].

It's working now, but yesterday if I pressed Select to use the fader to change a parameter and then pressed Select again, the fader did not control the track's volume - it was controlling the Master Fader.

And no matter what I did, including re-installing Core Control, re-starting Logic and re-starting the Mac, the ARM, MUTE, SOLO buttons were not working.

Deleting Komplete Kontrol from the Controller Setup seems to have corrected it.

3 hours ago, oscwilde said:

There is a quirk with the NI KK controllers when used in Logic in that they sometimes want to be the "first" (i.e. top-most) device in the CS window.

NI KK was installed first, so that was top of the list.

What happens if NI KK is not top of the list.

8 hours ago, Tankfield said:

What happens if NI KK is not top of the list.

Varies....on some user machines the KK control surface functions don't work at all, other machines it will behave like it's part of a group...so can be "offset" (channels 9-16 rather than 1-8, for example)....or can be controlling pan, not volume, can cause transport weirdness - where the transport controls of the NI device and other device are out of sync.
That said...it can behave as expected on other machines when down the list in the CS window.

8 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Varies....on some user machines the KK control surface functions don't work at all, other machines it will behave like it's part of a group...so can be "offset" (channels 9-16 rather than 1-8, for example)....or can be controlling pan, not volume, can cause transport weirdness - where the transport controls of the NI device and other device are out of sync.
That said...it can behave as expected on other machines when down the list in the CS window.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch out for that.

• Like 1