Map shortcuts to Icon Platform B+ with Platform M+ and CS12

DamonNnn
Go to solution Solved by oscwilde,

1 minute ago, DamonNnn said:

Okay I will do this, before I do however should I be doing this with only the B+ plugged in and turned on?

Also should I still be deleting the B+ from the CSS before doing this?

By the way, thank you very much for all the help. Im very grateful for all this you have no idea 

1. Yep...let's keep it simple.
2. No, leave it as is - for now.
3. Don't thank me yet....and I'm "intrigued" now....so want to find a solution for you/want to sate my curiosity - and hopefully we'll work it out so the next B+ owner will know what to do with it/Logic.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

1. Yep...let's keep it simple.
2. No, leave it as is - for now.
3. Don't thank me yet....and I'm "intrigued" now....so want to find a solution for you/want to sate my curiosity - and hopefully we'll work it out so the next B+ owner will know what to do with it/Logic.

Okay so it remembers everything I've mapped in Logic Pro When I close IMAP. But whenever you reopen iMap up you have to go back to user define mode and hit send data. So I think it remembers the last thing you send it

I think as long as I remember to send the data to the B+ before opening logic it should remember the mapping I did on logic. 

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to put the stuff I mapped on logic in IMAP as well so this kind of thing can get avoided all together.

Edited by DamonNnn

Well everything was going good and it was all mapped perfectly and then where I mapped my scissors suddenly just became the up cursor button.

I was testing the buttons just to see if they'd work. Here's something very horrible. Whenever I pressed where I mapped the audio editor to twice, EQ popped up .. 

36 minutes ago, DamonNnn said:

Okay so it remembers everything I've mapped in Logic Pro When I close IMAP. But whenever you reopen iMap up you have to go back to user define mode and hit send data. So I think it remembers the last thing you send it

I think as long as I remember to send the data to the B+ before opening logic it should remember the mapping I did on logic. 

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to put the stuff I mapped on logic in IMAP as well so this kind of thing can get avoided all together.

I had the iMap window minimized the whole time too just in case 😞

• Solution

Can you go into the Control Surfaces window and choose the B+ MCU device, and set the MIDI In/Out Ports to No Port (or Logic virtual midi, etc.) This will effectively disable the "control surface", but should still allow the B+ to function as a MIDI input device.

Try this with the iMap software open and closed....while assigning key commands in Logic.

It seems like it's "close", but we need to hit on the right combination of hardware/software settings.

They say patience is a virtue 😉

• Love 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:47 AM, oscwilde said:

Can you go into the Control Surfaces window and choose the B+ MCU device, and set the MIDI In/Out Ports to No Port (or Logic virtual midi, etc.) This will effectively disable the "control surface", but should still allow the B+ to function as a MIDI input device.

Try this with the iMap software open and closed....while assigning key commands in Logic.

It seems like it's "close", but we need to hit on the right combination of hardware/software settings.

I'm very sorry I had to take a couple days off because I was getting really cranky at this thing.

I did what you asked right now and the B+ is playing midi notes again and I don't even have the B+ iMap open at all!

However when I close Logic and open it back up it wants to add ANOTHER Mackie Controller with inputs and outputs routed to the B+. 

Now, before I start mapping again using command+L lol Do you think when it's wanting to add the B+ again it'll remap what I put in here?

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 2:47 AM, oscwilde said:

OKAY! So I just mapped all the buttons, and as long as I keep deleting the B+ on CSS window when it pops up and send "user define" info to it after, it remembers what I mapped with no issue!

Also all buttons are mapped on one zone and not scattered all over the place in the assignments window. 

Is there anything else I should do to make this more efficient? If not I'm very happy with this. It is customized and working with the CS12 and Platform M+ just how I want it!

*Edit* I also just noticed... In iMap it says "User Define (MCP)", so it's still Mackie Control Protocol even in User Define... Aaaaah why didn't I notice 😞

Edited by DamonNnn

8 hours ago, DamonNnn said:

In iMap it says "User Define (MCP)", so it's still Mackie Control Protocol even in User Define... Aaaaah why didn't I notice

Yep noticed this too (and it's odd....but clearly the way the device works).
That it wants to create a new MCU device in the Control Surfaces window every time is frustrating/annoying...so not sure how to get around this - but give me/the hive mind here some time to see if there's a way around this.

As a test...and this will be a PITA as you need to do it button-by-button....can you go into iMap and change everything to channel 16?
Once done - send this to the B+.
Note that this "may" break your existing key commands (as the MIDI channel is different)...so you might need to re-assign them (Delete the existing ones).
The reasoning behind ^^^^^^^^^ is to see if the "MCP" functionality of the device can be overridden by channelizing. The MCU protocol works on MIDI channel 1....so I'm hoping that Logic won't recognise it as an MCU device if on another channel.
This is probably just wishful thinking. 😉

An alternative to channelizing in this way in iMap is to open the MacOS Audio MIDI Setup app.....and in the MIDI Setup window, choosing the "Platform B+" device (double-click it) and seeing what's available.
Depending on the driver - you can often specify what MIDI In/Out ports the device can use - so you may be able to "filter" port/channel 1 here.
As above...not sure this will make a difference....and it "may" break your existing Logic key assignments (which are possibly using MIDI channel 1).

In the meantime - props to you for sticking with it and delighted that it's doing what you want it to do/fitting in with your workflow.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Yep noticed this too (and it's odd....but clearly the way the device works).
That it wants to create a new MCU device every time is frustrating/annoying...so not sure how to get around this - but give me/the hive mind here some time to see if there's a way around this.

As a test...and this will be a PITA as you need to do it button-by-button....can you go into iMap and change everything to channel 16?
Once done - send this to the B+.
Note that this "may" break your existing key commands (as the MIDI channel is different)...so you might need to re-assign them (Delete the existing ones).
The reasoning behind ^^^^^^^^^ is to see if the "MCP" functionality of the device can be overridden by channelizing. The MCU protocol works on MIDI channel 1....so I'm hoping that Logic won't recognise it as an MCU device if on another channel.
This is probably just wishful thinking. 😉

An alternative to channelizing in this way in iMap is to open the MacOS Audio MIDI Setup app.....and in the MIDI Setup window, choosing the "Platform B+" device (double-click it) and seeing what's available.
Depending on the driver - you can often specify what MIDI In/Out ports the device can use - so you may be able to "filter" port/channel 1 here.
As above...not sure this will make a difference....and it "may" break your existing Logic key assignments (which are using MIDI channel 1).

In the meantime - props to you for sticking with it and delighted that it's doing what you want it to do/fitting in with your workflow.

you mean this??

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.42.12 PM.png

6 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

That it wants to create a new MCU device in the Control Surfaces window every time is frustrating/annoying...so not sure how to get around this - but give me/the hive mind here some time to see if there's a way around this.

As mentioned by @JakobP

disable "Automatic Installation" by un-markchecking it under "New" in the CSS window...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• David Nahmani changed the title to Map shortcuts to Icon Platform B+ with Platform M+ and CS12
9 hours ago, DamonNnn said:

I was gonna do this with iMap and Snoize, is there a more efficient way to do that??

The pref file @JakobP is talking about is located in the Preferences folder. To locate it, try this:

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.
  2. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  3. Press the Go button.
  4. the pref file is named com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Note: Type the path exactly as described, including the ~(tilde) ----->   ~/Library/Preferences

• Like 1
  • Love 1