(the) Logic Pro X Rumours Thread

Darude

blinkofani, the feature set of LP 9.1 is amazing. Yes maybe avid did there photocopying with finally being able to implement "offline bounce" lol....should this even be called a feature. all daws except protools did this. Almost five years and no LPX so that's the let down. I mean every DAW has had several revisions in that time frame. so what is apple possibly doing?

Well, we'll only know when it shows up. We might say:"Wow, now we understand why it took so long" or it could be "4 years for this? :x ?". For a while i thought they were waiting for all the other guys to show their cards. Now that PT11 is soon available(provided you'll be able to put the new license on your iLok..), i don't know which one they could be waiting for.

But, i have 100% confidence in the dev team. I mean, it's obvious they know what they're doing. How long they take to materialize their ideas, i can't judge. I'm no software developper.

Blink.

blinkofani, the feature set of LP 9.1 is amazing. Yes maybe avid did there photocopying with finally being able to implement "offline bounce" lol....should this even be called a feature. all daws except protools did this. Almost five years and no LPX so that's the let down. I mean every DAW has had several revisions in that time frame. so what is apple possibly doing?

Well, we'll only know when it shows up. We might say:"Wow, now we understand why it took so long" or it could be "4 years for this? :x ?". For a while i thought they were waiting for all the other guys to show their cards. Now that PT11 is soon available(provided you'll be able to put the new license on your iLok..), i don't know which one they could be waiting for.

But, i have 100% confidence in the dev team. I mean, it's obvious they know what they're doing. How long they take to materialize their ideas, i can't judge. I'm no software developper.

Blink.

I don't think they are waiting for anything. I just think they will get it done when they can and since it is not a high volume product, it hasn't been a top priority. If anything maybe the new Mac Pro release will get Logic some attentions soon even though they didn't mention it when they did mention a new ver of Final Cut.

If anything maybe the new Mac Pro release will get Logic some attentions soon even though they didn't mention it when they did mention a new ver of Final Cut.

In the keynote they mentioned "musicians" and "graphics" pros as the kinds of people that need the power of a Mac Pro machine.

They haven't forgotten about Logic, I'm sure...

Atlas007/Matrix:

Here some features that Studio One has that logic doesn't.

---Ability to Drag Effects onto a folder and then audition on the fly, and change/add effects without printing (that feature alone lured me to studio one)

---Melodyne Integration, not being able to insatiate a melodyne plugin but the ability to use it right on a region and edit the pitch or timing. Logic tools are nowhere near as powerful as melodyne. I use this all the time. I'm sure the next version of logic will implement it, or apple is on drugs.

---Also the ability to have EVENT FX or in logic world REGION FX. LOGIC ONLY HAS TRACK BASED FX.

---Cross platform support

---Everything is drag and drop (i'm alot faster in studio one then logic even with key commands)

---The ability to master in the program, and not basic mastering adds so much value

---Easier to setup multi-output instruments

---Ability to assign folder tracks to a group and have it create the auxes/buses in a single click

---Layers that are similar to playlists in Protools

---Automation is sick. You can only curve the automation in logic but here you can draw any type of line for the automation

---Macros (Apple should implement this ASAP, especially with automator, etc). Macros make studio one extremely powerful

---Online integration to get access to sounds, presets, macros, etc through studio one website

Studio One is not perfect but for a DAW people said wouldn't be able to compete. It has bypassed the competition. Just look at the reviews on the web (do your research). It has become the next logic. Theres some missing features but the team has a high release cycle at presonus.

I will say that i still use logic about 30% of the time

some good calls in there....

would love better handling of plugins in logic i.e not having to trawl through the same menu hierarchy for each instantiation...would also love 'reaper' - style plug menu / favourites customisations

but my biggest request would be for event / object handling....haven't looked into studio one, but this is how 'samplitude x' does it...proper jealous :shock: :cry:

The main job recording midi and audio they all do, and the ability to edit midi and audio data. It's like photoshop. What more can you really do before it becomes a Swiss Army knife.

The music of each decade is shaped by the recording tools at peoples hands. And the last 10 years has been seriously shaped by Logic, it would be nice to think that Apple could keep this up for a while longer. ALL the DAWs do audio and midi editing very well but i'm just hoping that theres something to really wax lyrical about with the new release. But.. saying that.. i like it enough to stay with for a while yet.

I use Studio One from time to time and there are some GREAT features that i would love to have in Logic. The way that tracks are organised is allot better for a start.

- Navigating a project is just more intuitive, and customisable to taste.

- Melodyne integration is really well done.

- All the stock sounds are good quality straight up samples (but thats a blessing and a curse for when your after something a bit more abstract from time to time).

- Impact Drum Synth is great. (by no means a powerful work horse like ultrabeat tho). No overly impressed with the other instruments they have to offer but they aint shabby.

- Stock plug-ins are REALLY good. I really like the Pro EQ and Compressor, and theres all the metering tools you'd expect to find. But when it comes to things like reverb and delay i'm at a loss without Space Designer and Delay Designer.

They're different beasts and Logic is definitely better overall but theres things there for the programming team at logic to consider. As for Logic's Environment, i hope it doesn't go entirely but it could do with a clean up. Whenever i find myself using it there most always seems to be some known bug or the work arounds don't quite do things as i would have expected. Which is infuriating. Same as the Controller Assignments dialogue box. That could do with being re-written as it seems to be of limited use if you want a personalised set up.

my only real worry about the next logic is that i reckon it won't be compatible pre-lion...i really believe that the u.i and g.u.i optimisations they will looking to make will depend on lion and above

My guess would be that that might be likely... but we'll have to wait and see...

my only real worry about the next logic is that i reckon it won't be compatible pre-lion...i really believe that the u.i and g.u.i optimisations they will looking to make will depend on lion and above

My guess would be that that might be likely... but we'll have to wait and see...

yeah..i do understand it...the optimisations to bring the ui up to speed would render even snow leopard 'legacy'

i'm not even against that kind of progress, it's just my 6.5 year old mbp doesn't qualify for anything above the original 'lion', which i now cannot get hold of since it was updated...

logic 9 could be the end of the road for me for a long while :cry:

Mixer customisation is a must. Logic is seriously lacking here. Projects can get so messy so quickly. Especially with busses.

Careful what you wish for on the GUI front. Logic Barbie is a natural progression from iOS7 and then you'll be eating your words. :lol:

from the small amount i have seen of it, iOS7 looks stunning....if logic benefits from any of the thinking behind ui and gui optimisations from the iOS side of things, then it could be great

That was only in jest; in all seriousness though, if the few screenshots are anything to go by, I did not find the color choices very appealing, and some icons could have been done better.

of course, i know you were kidding

although i actually really love the light, breezy and transparent look, i kinda mean more in terms of optimisaton etc..it's quite something to watch how multitasking etc can be handled in a clear manner on such a small device....despite logic's gui not being so old, it just looks ancient and clunky and operates in a similar fashion

i'm not an fcpx user but i think it looks much slicker than logic...still hella-grey but much cleaner

i'd be surprised if there was no gui shakeup

You know what.. i have faith. Apart from the fact that it looks like what you'd expect android to be like in 2yrs time i think ios7 looks great - very useable. Finding a way to easily see more on one screen without it getting cluttered would be wonderful. I'm finding myself tweaking multiple plug-ins more than ever and things get so crowded. Theres only so much you can do with screensets.

I am a little scared that my MBC wont be compatible as it's getting on a bit now but it'll be a great excuse to get a shiny new thing with plenty of RAM. :)

Does anyone else use extra screens in mission control to put things like the mixer and piano roll? Coz i've had mixed success with it. Sometimes the windows just snap back to wherever the Arrange page is. And if it does it once it's usually a sign that it's gonna do it for the rest of the day. Just a little thing that'd be nice to iron out.

As Logic users we live on vague rumors and silence. It makes me sad that the DAW I've used and loved for 10 years has so forgotten about us. So many things I love about Logic and so many things that could be easily fixed with the most basic of updates.

Every other DAW firm has folks who repsond to requests, R+D, user forums that the engineers read and respond, and updates that occur with the regularity you would expect. I may be mistaken, but I think most other Apple programs have been updated several times since the last Logic Update.

With no word form apple in years and years, excluding some vague remark back in sept 11, I have to force myself to look elsewhere. Logic is (was) great, but all the other DAW's have been learning and improving during this time and they are looking better and better compared to the granny that Logic has become. It seems clear that Apple has given up on it, I may have too as well.

Sad to say it.

Edited by danamil

That was only in jest; in all seriousness though, if the few screenshots are anything to go by, I did not find the color choices very appealing, and some icons could have been done better.

of course, i know you were kidding

although i actually really love the light, breezy and transparent look, i kinda mean more in terms of optimisaton etc..it's quite something to watch how multitasking etc can be handled in a clear manner on such a small device....despite logic's gui not being so old, it just looks ancient and clunky and operates in a similar fashion

i'm not an fcpx user but i think it looks much slicker than logic...still hella-grey but much cleaner

i'd be surprised if there was no gui shakeup

Perhaps I should wait until I've experienced the new iOS first-hand before forming an opinion. It's interesting to watch UI design evolve even if you don't agree with the direction.

Oh, and I do agree that Logic's GUI needs a shake-up. But I wouldn't want them to do much beyond cosmetic changes. Iron the interface out, change some colors here and there etc. I really like the overall window layout and docking and have found it very quick once I learned my way around it. Although I would love it if they improved the menus, specifically, the plugin selection menu.

and updates that occur with the regularity you would expect. I may be mistaken, but I think most other Apple programs have been updated several times since the last Logic Update.

Out of interest, how many updates have we had to LP9 since 9.0.0? 10? 12? Some of those bringing substantial new features (64-bit, audiounit bridge, aux track functionality and so on...)

The last update was about seven and a half months ago. So in the broad scheme of things, Logic has been actually getting more updates than most of the other Apple apps (obviously the consumer apps have shorter major version upgrade lifecycles of course).

Perhaps I should wait until I've experienced the new iOS first-hand before forming an opinion. It's interesting to watch UI design evolve even if you don't agree with the direction.

Oh, and I do agree that Logic's GUI needs a shake-up. But I wouldn't want them to do much beyond cosmetic changes. Iron the interface out, change some colors here and there etc. I really like the overall window layout and docking and have found it very quick once I learned my way around it. Although I would love it if they improved the menus, specifically, the plugin selection menu.

What, you would want the dark grays of Logic 7, or the blue hues of 6? :)

The darker grays you find in FCP X and Motion now are ostensibly easier on the eyes (especially when compared to Compressor, which is beyond me how that didn't get a similar GUI update, much less a unified window design, in its latest iteration). I've never considered it so much a problem with Logic, though the shades of gray are already more temperate there than in previous Apple pro-video app designs. Maybe it's just that Logic isn't an app for visuals, so my eyes don't get so tired? I dunno. I do know that I like the Logic/Soundtrack Pro (RIP) conceit of a main tool bar atop the window, and sliding palettes to the left, right, and bottom as needed. I'm not sure what could be structurally improved, though I should hasten to add that I am still relatively green to the DAW world, in the grander scheme.

More intrigue....

The new "Designed by Apple in California" has a clip of a stage, with what looks like a Macbook Pro on the bottom right.

The commercial (to Quote Apple Insider) ....." Under the narration, which talks about how Apple's mantra is to make a few great products that touch the lives of users, are scenes of everyday life. There is no sound to these shots, just the disembodied voice and plucked chords. It lends a surreal feel that we, as the audience, are peeking in on intimate and important moments of the characters.

Each scene features an Apple product of some sort, though it is usually pushed off-center, and at times even out of focus. The machines are not what's important, but the feelings they invoke are. We see human faces lit by iPad screens, crowds dancing to music from a MacBook Pro, and couples taking pictures with an iPhone. "

Wait could it be.........

Also I think the clip was shot in Whitstable, cause I swear I saw Peter Cushing in the crowd.

807522097_Screenshot2013-06-26at6_50_45AM.png.99db296726661fa65f00e6d99aa83bf2.png