NEW Mac Pro + NEW Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

I know that, David.

To download such a heavy libraries, you keep your computer on for three weeks ???

Everybody doesn't get hi-speed internet connection.

It's quite frustrating to see that some of these evolutions are not thought for most people

Making music will become elitist, just like before...

So, a lot of questions about the future for really modest guy like me :(

It's quite frustrating to see that some of these evolutions are not thought for most people

Making music will become elitist, just like before...

So, a lot of questions about the future for really modest guy like me :(

You can always use an external optical drive if you want.

Many of the library manufacturers even provide hard drives with the installers.

Also making and publishing musical work has actually never been cheaper.

Everybody doesn't get hi-speed internet connection.

Out of curiosity: where are you located that you cannot get a hi-speed internet connection?

I don't believe music making will become elitist again (it's the other way around as Eric pointed out) but I do believe that the further we progress into the future the more things (and not just music production) will rely on hi-speed internet connections.

You're right Eric

I talked about money because I surely have to buy a external player plus the price of the computer.

It's something for me.

But thanks for the idea.

So no more movies on DVD to have a break during the sessions ??? :(

You're right Eric

I talked about money because I surely have to buy a external player plus the price of the computer.

It's something for me.

But thanks for the idea.

I understand your concern but some things change.

Remember the floppy drive?

Remember when studios used snail mail to send 2 inch tape from the mixing studio to the mastering engineer?

Lets keep this thread on topic from now on shall we? :D

Oww hey, new R2D2 themed mac pro!

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-offers-sneak-peek-of-next-generation-mac-pro/

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-offers-developers-a-closer-look-at-the-new-mac-pro/

Let's hope the new logic will be out together with this.

I just laugh thinking how we'll be scoffed at - the mixing first happened in a computer will now happen in a garbage can enclosure.

I find it very interesting that Apple will use SMB2 as its default network protocol for sharing files.

Hope they have implemented it well.

Not too sure what that means for us.... is SMB2 interesting as in good-intereting? Or bad-interesting?

SMB2 is a lot more robust than the prior iteration and AFP is really old. So I'd say this is "good-interesting". :D

i really wasn't too impressed...UNTIL i watched the apple demo of the mac pro. meanwhile...external storage is not complicated, not is an external optical drive. i predict a hit here...LOTS of audio/video/graphics pros married to their current MP's are gonna be happy...

I really like the new concept.

Latest Xeon chip. All internal storage is PCIe flash based. Dual graphics card and expandable memory.

6 discrete thunderbolt connections will be more than enough for external storage.

I just would like to know the price of this machine thou!

Omg. *Proper* multiple monitor support *finally*.

They've made such a hash of it in the past three OSX versions, I'm so glad they sorted it out (although they should have done it for Lion, imo) and I'll probably upgrade for this alone...

Maybe I blind, but I didn't see anything about CD/DVD player/writer. How will we install new VI and 100gigs libraries ?

Too many questions to enjoy this annoucement to me

Thanks if you have answers

Come on, you've seriously got to be kidding...it would have been ridiculous and ultra-backwards to include a CD/DVD.

You're right Eric

It's something for me.

But thanks for the idea.

seriously, if you can afford what this is going to cost, that $79 for the external dvd/cd drive won't break you...

Edited by fisherking

i don't know what it's gonna cost yet...... but i'm saving up starting right now.

i will have that black stealth cylinder on my desktop..!!!

i just know there's a "make instant music" button on it somewhere....

that's the first "absolutely gotta have it " gear i've seen since .......well.......

this almost 8 yr old 1st gen mac pro thats still taking up a quarter acre on my studio desktop.

i swear to one and all that ;

by this time next year this 50lb piece of aluminum will be my new boat anchor !!!

geez.....

i swear to one and all that ;

by this time next year this 50lb piece of aluminum will be my new boat anchor !!!

geez.....

it's not a boat anchor already?

i'm getting a mini, hiding it in a small black trashcan, and running cables out the back. processing power AND i save a lot of $....

The most novel and innovative thinking, is the approach to the cooling the system... everything else is just technology moving ahead... the implementation of everything, in chorus :lol: is totally dependent on cooling.

An exceptional assessment & amalgamation of thinking... Apple Regalia! :mrgreen:

I'm just curious... In the same way that CD/DVD drives are on the way out, what's the point of dual gigabit ethernet ports on a Mac Pro? It's been a while since i plugged a cable on that port in my last 3 Mac computers since i'm on wifi all the time. I can understand one port, but why two? In which situation a professional video or audio place might need 2 of these?

Blink

Am I the only one that's really disappointed with the new Mac Pro? Sure, the specs or great... But most pro users need expandability. Yes, I know you can use thunderbolt for PCIe cards, but then you have a mess of wires everywhere when it could be enclosed in the case. And as for the graphics cards... There's a lot of graphic designers and video editors that need CUDA support. No more replaceable internal GPU's? If we want to use a Pro Tools HD card we have to put it in an external enclosure? I have multiple hard drives in my computer right now. Now have to rely on external hard drives? This computer is supposed to be for PROFESSIONALS. How many professionals would actually prefer this to a full-size desktop?

I guess I'll be building my own for a long time...

OS X 10.9 looks really nice though.