NEW Mac Pro + NEW Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Hopefully it's going to be really quiet, current Mac Pro is noticeable in Condenser Mic recordings even when in a soundproofed cupboard..

You must really have that condenser cranked! The transformer in my Drawmer mic pre is louder than anything I can (barely) hear coming from my computer closet only 4 feet away.

it looks good I guess, but i don't know why if they care so much about design, they placed all the inputs in the front, its gonna look def ugly with all the cables hanging out in the front. I think that the AC power inlet in the front makes it look like a fancy coffee machine. :roll:

the old mac pro looked pretty cause you could see its sleek design all the time, no matter how nasty was your cabling in the back

just my two cents :oops: after all, what matters is the technology behind this machine.

i'm more excited about the next mac mini actually.

I saw the beast in person, as I attended WWDC. I don't think it looks as tasteful as the current Mac Pro design; the look of the materials gives the impression of something a bit cheaper and less sturdy (did not get to touch it) than the classic Mac Pro design, but it does look cool in its way, like something out of 2001. The spinning design and lights is very nice.

The downgrade of RAM slots from 8 to 4 is a concern. I suspect the dual-FirePro cards will bump up the price significantly, but I think Apple intends future pro apps to make heavy use of their OpenCL computing capabilities. Certainly this is the case for video editing and 3D rendering. Will Apple re-architect Logic Pro to heavily utilize OpenCL? Only time will tell, I guess. If not, I don't see how it's a cost-effective machine for pro audio users.

The downgrade of RAM slots from 8 to 4 is a concern. I suspect the dual-FirePro cards will bump up the price significantly, but I think Apple intends future pro apps to make heavy use of their OpenCL computing capabilities. Certainly this is the case for video editing and 3D rendering. Will Apple re-architect Logic Pro to heavily utilize OpenCL? Only time will tell, I guess. If not, I don't see how it's a cost-effective machine for pro audio users.

Wouldn't it be possible that Apple makes different configurations available when the MP is released?

And then add TB support to Logic nodes and let it support AU... Probably not.. :(

Some fear that the next Logic suffers the same fate as Final Cut X - going in a simplified direction. Who knows. It would be a huge mistake.

FEAR - SUFFER - FATE - HUGE MISTAKE

Amazing how misinformation sticks around. Are these people even have used FCPx lately?

How about

HOPE - JOY TO USE - FORWARD THINKING - BEST SINCE SLICED BREAD

Ok, that might be a little bit to much in the other direction. Just update the FCPx impression from June 2011 and see what is going on right now. APple has a track record to introduce something new, radical and sometimes painful that proves to be a forward thinking move (with the occasional mishaps)

Anybody remember the transition from OS9 to OSX and the uproar. Ho many user do want to go back to OS9 - I rest my case.

Watch the release of "new features" in other video editing apps which look like FCPx Multicam, copy attributes, etc. How many features that were introduced in the lates ProTools are available in Logic for years. Yes, there are other features where Logic has to do some catch-up.

Everything is nowadays based on metadata and relational databases. People don't realize that FCPx is a giant database which of course requires a rethinking in the user's approach. Look at Smart Collections, Key Collections in FCPx and the features in the Finder of Maverics, it is the identical workflow.

In my opinion, that is where people should look if they want to predict where Logic might or will go (BTW I have no knowledge what so ever) not on some outdated comments from former disgruntled FCP7 users - it is getting old.

How many features that were introduced in the lates ProTools are available in Logic for years.

So true. I mean have you read the What's New in Pro Tools 11?

• with the new 64-bit architecture, you gain the performance you need to handle the most sophisticated sessions—with more memory headroom to go even bigger.

⇒ 64 bit memory addressing was added to Logic Pro in January 2010.

• Forget the wait—speed up your final mix delivery with new faster-than-real-time bounce capabilities.

⇒ AFAIR Logic has always been able to perform faster-than-real-time bounce.

no plans to close off future versions of Pro Tools to work only with Avid hardware

⇒ Logic was never closed to any kind of hardware and never will be.

etc etc...

APple has a track record to introduce something new, radical and sometimes painful that proves to be a forward thinking move (with the occasional mishaps)

Yup. And sometimes the user suffers... but Apple thinks of the future. I remember being the very first one to complain when Apple introduced the first G4 computer because it didn't have any serial ports!! Apple had replaced them with this new type of connector called "USB"... but most of my devices were serial!! What were they thinking??!! :lol:

Yes, there are other features where Logic has to do some catch-up.

Yes, of course, that's true too.

In my opinion, that is where people should look if they want to predict where Logic might or will go (BTW I have no knowledge what so ever) not on some outdated comments from former disgruntled FCP7 users - it is getting old.

I agree. I place my faith in the developers that brought us this wonderful tool which has allowed us to produce music for decades already, not in online rumors or anonymous rants. However shocking it might seem, Steve Job's quote “The market does not know what it wants, We need to tell them what they want” is often true. For example, back a few years ago, there were TONS of producers requesting that Logic be rebuilt with a 64 bit audio engine. I had a lengthy discussion with some of the top Logic programmers and they explained to me how that request did not make any sense at all. The only thing that would have resulted would be a bloated audio engine, slower performance, inefficient processing and storage, etc... instead they gave us 64 bit memory addressing without changing the audio engine... and I haven't heard or read a single producer continue requesting a 64 bit audio engine ever since. Food for thought.

I remember seeing a seminar where web designers were talking about their relationship with the clients. As professional web designers, they were saying that while the old adage they'd learn when going into business was "Give your customers what they want", they'd slowly learned throughout their career that they had to balance it out with "Give your customers what they need", and often found that the two were at odds, mostly because their customers don't really understand what they need. An example was the client who asks for flexibility in upgrading their site, when what they really needed was simplicity - which is exactly the opposite (the more options, settings, preferences you give the user, the more complex the product). Food for thought.

Even you as a music producer have probably experienced that with your clients. They want the music to be "more dynamic, so it sounds louder", or "more compressed so you can hear more detail", or some other nonsense. I once had a client who kept coming back at me stating that he wanted my music to be faster. I kept raising the tempo but he could never be happy. Finally I programmed an accelerando so that the piece increased in tempo, and it was exactly what they needed. They just didn't know how to articulate it, so I had to find out what it was they needed.

And you ended buying the Stealth Serial Port™ as we all did =)

Actually I got the Griffin one... :wink:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/w225/m/mmm39D1J3abtFvQK_ZUXAog.jpg

Considered it, for a Yamaha BC-1 breath controller, that I got with my DX7... think I would have needed one... not too sure that all would still work :roll: Don't leave me on the shelf :lol:

Had to bump that cool 8) pic

Actually I'm quite happy with the latest developments, basically a lot of "semi-pro" had to choose the the mac mini server lately instead of mac pro or iMac, the new mac pro is a similar story but obviously turbocharged. I've just got my new macbook air (it's time to update my details :D) with e-sata interface, it just blows me away. It's 3x times faster (the SSD) than my fully equipped iMac27 at my workplace (purchased in February :D). Suddenly I've just realised that probably the key will be the OpenCL in the future. Even the Air holds a quite impressive graphic performance, the new Pro will contains two GPU as standard (as far as we know at the moment) and if LogicX will capable to use OpenCL for running plug-ins, that would be awesome. I use FCPX on a daily basis and I just hope LogicX will be something similar, because I just love the interface, the workflow, the logic behind the concept.

ps.: I use Maverics and IOS7. They obviously not perfect at the moment, but it's going to be just brilliant and the 12 hours battery not just a marketing BS. The future is here, just can't wait :D

Some fear that the next Logic suffers the same fate as Final Cut X - going in a simplified direction. Who knows. It would be a huge mistake.

Apple have committed to a ten-year plan with FCPX. Recent versions are far better than the first version, including the industry's best multicam editing solution by far. FCPX is winning back a lot of the initial people who were shouting the loudest - it's not there yet, but is a really good tool rewritten for modern systems, which is only going to get better.

Remember, FCP didn't become useful until version 3.x, even 4.x, and FCPX is still a 1.x release. By the time it hits 2.x or 3.x, it very well may be fantastic. It's certainly far better at 1.x than FCP was at 3.x, though not perfect yet.

So, not so much a huge mistake - they did what they needed to do.

Logic isn't in the same boat the old FCP was, so the needs are a little different. But it's good to see Apple committing to a long term FCPX development, which shows they are still interested and committed to keeping Pro Apps going, which therefore should be a good thing for Logic.

As to what Logic will be - well, what are the needs? The core codebase is quite good - Logic has been one of the first large-scale apps to get modern Apple technologies, the old frameworks were rewritten a while back which let them be the first to take advantage of 64-bit-ness and other good stuff.

I'd suggest as far as "needs" go, Logic is in need of some clearout and stripping of cobwebs. It has some need to having a more slick interface. It has some need of some functionality that exists in other products (for instance, pitch manipulation tools) and there are some cool things that other people are doing that could be brought on board.

So those are the kinds of things I'm expecting.

I'm not expecting a whole new, from the ground up new application, because there isn't the need for that (like there was with FCP).

I *am* expecting some sizeable changes, possibly some of the biggest changes we've had for a while, and as always, there will probably be some contentious choices and people venting outrage on internet forums - because that, like, happens when every new version comes, people find an excuse to be outraged at something...

To be honest...

If they can translate FCPX "clipbased editing/metadata crap" to logic successfully I'm willing to try.

I'm also willing to try a ground-up revamp. Considering he time passed since last upgrade, I doubt we'll see anything short of ground-up revamp.

LP7: 2004

LP8: 2007

LP9:2009

I also agree about FCPX... I tried it and never touching premiere again. People who are trashing it probably haven't done a single project with it. If Logic turns FCPX I embrace that

• 2 weeks later...

I for one will be grabbing one of them Big Black Batteries! Although one question I need to ask is....how am I gonna connect my ISA1 digital? So far (although I might have missed it) I havent seen an optical connection on the new Big Black Battery (see what Im doing there:))

I have seen the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters (phew!) but is there a Thunderbolt to Optical (lightpipe/toslink) adapter?

Thanks

Ironmalk

EDIT: actually after nosing around a bit I found this...dunno if it will do the job or not though...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

EDIT 2: Actually I don't think it will because as I see the item its Thunderbolt/USB/MDisplay/Toslink --------> HDMI

EDIT 3: DOH! Donut alert inc! I always previously went from ISA1 via toslink to saffire pro to mac pro via firewire! Will do the same except use one of them nifty Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters! Gawd if I had a brain I'd be dangerous!

• 2 weeks later...
What I wonder about Mavericks is whether or not it will dump 32 bit compatibility, rendering my 32-bit plugins completely obsolete, even in L9. As for the Mac Pro, I'm a starting to save my Pfennigs now!

That is a big possibility. Mavericks and the new Mac Pros will probably feature full modern 64-bit architecture. No legacy anywhere.

Welp,

As of now, I only have two plugins that are 32 bit, Miroslav Philharmonik and Sonik Synth. I just bought Garritan PO4 (I know, not wonderful, but better than jam packs), and I'll probably be getting Omnisphere in the near future. It's a shame that IK Multimedia seems to have abandoned these plugs, though.

What I wonder about Mavericks is whether or not it will dump 32 bit compatibility, rendering my 32-bit plugins completely obsolete, even in L9. As for the Mac Pro, I'm a starting to save my Pfennigs now!

That is a big possibility. Mavericks and the new Mac Pros will probably feature full modern 64-bit architecture. No legacy anywhere.

No. It will work fine.