NEW Mac Pro + NEW Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

You're right Eric

I talked about money because I surely have to buy a external player plus the price of the computer.

It's something for me.

But thanks for the idea.

So no more movies on DVD to have a break during the sessions ??? :(

seriously, if you can afford what this is going to cost, that $79 for the external dvd/cd drive won't break you...

OR the $40 or so for a cheaper-but-reasonable Amazon variant of some sort. I'm not worried—I'll be buying an external BD-R/RW drive for backing up video projects, so I'll be able to move it to a new system if/when I can ever afford a *new* Mac Pro…

I'm just curious... In the same way that CD/DVD drives are on the way out, what's the point of dual gigabit ethernet ports on a Mac Pro? It's been a while since i plugged a cable on that port in my last 3 Mac computers since i'm on wifi all the time. I can understand one port, but why two? In which situation a professional video or audio place might need 2 of these?

Blink

Cause gigabit Ethernet is much faster than wifi.

lol

I'm just curious... In the same way that CD/DVD drives are on the way out, what's the point of dual gigabit ethernet ports on a Mac Pro? It's been a while since i plugged a cable on that port in my last 3 Mac computers since i'm on wifi all the time. I can understand one port, but why two? In which situation a professional video or audio place might need 2 of these?

Blink

someone using an ethernet controller, AND using ethernet for the internet...(among other things...)

I'm definitely considering upgrading to a new Mac Pro when they're available, depending on the price. I like the new design, I think it's achieved one major objective already - people are talking about it months before it is even available. If they'd just rehashed the old configuration with upgraded specs it would have been like ho hum, another Mac Pro, much the same as the last one. Instead it looks strikingly different, and sounds like it packs some serious punch. I'm about to dive into Final Cut and Motion and will need a faster machine. I suspect the new Logic won't be far away once these are available and perhaps it will require the extra power. Exciting! :D

I'm definitely considering upgrading to a new Mac Pro when they're available, depending on the price. I like the new design, I think it's achieved one major objective already - people are talking about it months before it is even available. If they'd just rehashed the old configuration with upgraded specs it would have been like ho hum, another Mac Pro, much the same as the last one. Instead it looks strikingly different...
+1

But it goes well beyond looks. This is some serious innovation now. The Mac Pro has become... well... portable. For that reason alone, I think this extends the functionality and life of the desktop.

Hopefully it's going to be really quiet, current Mac Pro is noticeable in Condenser Mic recordings even when in a soundproofed cupboard..

And lights for the ports with rotating system, no more torch in mouth when plugging in studio while practicing contortionism to get to back of Mac Pro, yay!

Bet a new version of Logic would run rather nicely on it too!!

Interesting development in iOS 7 too:

Inter-App Audio

The Audio Unit framework adds support for Inter-App Audio, which enables the ability to send MIDI commands and stream audio between apps on the same device. For example, you might use this feature to record music from an app acting as an instrument or use it to send audio to another app for processing.

This means that you can probably port your AU plug-ins to use with iOS.

I'm really anxious to hear about the internal maximum flash storage capacity!

If there's enough space to hold all your Projects AND the majority of your Sample Libraries, I'll be a happy camper :)

1TB?

4TB?

I don't even know what the current max possible is for flash storage...

The products offered by Apple are fantastic, and operating systems. But I think you should talk about everything ... It is true that Logic 9 is a fantastic program and I would not change (so far), but all expected and we demanded an update ... would not admit into fanaticism. Apple is failing for delay.

The products offered by Apple are fantastic, and operating systems. But I think you should talk about everything ... It is true that Logic 9 is a fantastic program and I would not change (so far), but all expected and we demanded an update ... would not admit into fanaticism. Apple is failing for delay.

What is wrong with Logic 9 right now? Is it not working? What feature do you desperately need that you don't have right now?

What is wrong with Logic 9 right now? Is it not working? What feature do you desperately need that you don't have right now?

Ah. So then the question has been asked, just not in the LP X Rumors thread.

No matter how Logic has been announced in the past, I think an update is long overdue, and Apple should by now give loyal users some hint at the platforms future, and not leave us hanging. I don't think Apple will abandon Logic, but you never know. Some fear that the next Logic suffers the same fate as Final Cut X - going in a simplified direction. Who knows. It would be a huge mistake.

I've changed DAW once, at that point I thought the switch to Logic was temporary. The reason was that Steinberg was unable to release a product that was stable and efficient on the mac when Apple switched to Intel. I then switched to Logic awaiting a product from Steinberg, but ended up a permanent user (because I quickly felt at home and started loving the product).

This looks like a mighty fine machine. Plenty of compute power. Fairly mobile too for power users on the go . If the cooling works as planned then..... ya, gonna get one.

But......... :)

Is the "memory" upgradable.... to this!

http://www.nature.com/news/computer-memory-can-be-read-with-a-flash-of-light-1.13169

"It takes less than 10 nanoseconds to write to and read the cells, and recording the data requires about 3 volts. The leading nonvolatile RAM technology, flash, takes about 10,000 times longer to read and write, and needs 15 volts to record."

delightfully never satisfied..... :)

I want one too, but, I am concerned about all the external parts I will need to make it work similar to how my current Mac Pro is configured. Considering that there is no internal PCIe buses or storage, with the exception of the flash memory, I will need external hard drives and a PCIe card interface just to get operational. I hope that the pricing will be less then current 12 core MPs. CS.

Some fear that the next Logic suffers the same fate as Final Cut X - going in a simplified direction. Who knows. It would be a huge mistake.

Apple have committed to a ten-year plan with FCPX. Recent versions are far better than the first version, including the industry's best multicam editing solution by far. FCPX is winning back a lot of the initial people who were shouting the loudest - it's not there yet, but is a really good tool rewritten for modern systems, which is only going to get better.

Remember, FCP didn't become useful until version 3.x, even 4.x, and FCPX is still a 1.x release. By the time it hits 2.x or 3.x, it very well may be fantastic. It's certainly far better at 1.x than FCP was at 3.x, though not perfect yet.

So, not so much a huge mistake - they did what they needed to do.

Logic isn't in the same boat the old FCP was, so the needs are a little different. But it's good to see Apple committing to a long term FCPX development, which shows they are still interested and committed to keeping Pro Apps going, which therefore should be a good thing for Logic.

As to what Logic will be - well, what are the needs? The core codebase is quite good - Logic has been one of the first large-scale apps to get modern Apple technologies, the old frameworks were rewritten a while back which let them be the first to take advantage of 64-bit-ness and other good stuff.

I'd suggest as far as "needs" go, Logic is in need of some clearout and stripping of cobwebs. It has some need to having a more slick interface. It has some need of some functionality that exists in other products (for instance, pitch manipulation tools) and there are some cool things that other people are doing that could be brought on board.

So those are the kinds of things I'm expecting.

I'm not expecting a whole new, from the ground up new application, because there isn't the need for that (like there was with FCP).

I *am* expecting some sizeable changes, possibly some of the biggest changes we've had for a while, and as always, there will probably be some contentious choices and people venting outrage on internet forums - because that, like, happens when every new version comes, people find an excuse to be outraged at something...

This new version is pretty cool, but have to agree with what David said, desktops are going away slowly. I can do everything I want on my mac book pro, just wish I could hook up 3 monitors to it

i don't know why anyone would think that; i know LOTS of people with imacs, and...pros with towers. people who do film, graphics, music...in stationary settings generally use desktops.

having said that, i gave up my iMac years ago, and am happiest with a mbp...