Logic Pro X and Logic Remote Now Available

What bugs me they half-assed the plugins, all old plugins still sport the interface almost the same as in Logic 7.

So.. three old plugins have basically been reworked into versions with new, simplified and graphically sexier interfaces.

Do we think they are doing this to all the other plugins as well, but just ran out of time?

I just wanted to say that I'm glad to see that a feature that myself - and others requested that Apple would implement - seems to have been added.

That is - the ability to play in midi notes rhythmically - without regard to pitch - then select the notes and "quantize" those notes to a key. If I'm reading the descriptions of the new midi functions that are available, we can now do that.

In earlier posts - I referred to Opcode Vision's ability to do that many years ago... I'm glad that Logic's engineers decided that adding another useful creative tool was a good thing to do.

It;s great. I am very glad that it is an evolution and not some radical redesign. The one thing I am impatient about is what Redmatica are going to bring to the table - a new sampler/sound design app? Maybe now that X is out of the door, they can turn their attention to this tantalising prospect?

That actually bugs me, its what I love the most about FCPX.

It's strange that Jony Ive let this out the door, as part of his job is to make sure all the products have a consistent aesthetic tone for the Apple brand. The mixer faders especially bug me. It's like all the other Apple products have gone on to form New Wave bands, but Logic Pro X didn't get the memo and walks in the room in an even more outrageous disco outfit shouting, "Hey dig it! Who wants to groove??"

What bugs me they half-assed the plugins, all old plugins still sport the interface almost the same as in Logic 7. Seems to me that it was a bit rushed anyway...

Yup. From what I've heard from aquaintances at Apple, the biggest problem they have over there is lack of communication between departments. Unfortunately, their quest for ultimate secrecy can get the best of them, and results with inconsistencies like this.

My best guess is that the Logic team's first glance at iOS 7 & Mavericks was with the rest of us, at WWDC :shock:

As for the old plugin UIs, well, I guess they most likely weighed the time it would take to redo all their plugins vs a release date, and decided it wasn't worth the time investment.

Maybe a future update will take care of this?

That new Surround Panner looks so cool, but the Surround plugin pops up....ugh.

1819398818_ScreenShot2013-07-17at12_02_25PM.png.87e207334a35582b5ab67d8a4eb3ee6a.png

Probably not, but at least to an extent. I.e. some non-destructive clip-based processing from FCPX would be nice.

And some extent of low-level integration with FCPX, as in, "sent this project to logic pro" and a dynamic link in fcpx for audio project in Logic Pro. Whoa.

Yes, though I was new to using FCP and Logic when they were integrated and thus never used it much, it would be an awesome feature to see return. I'm sure it will; I'm guessing the LP X team had their focus on releasing the product, and now they can work with the FCP X team on the integration. Or it won't, and I'll look dumb here, and people will have to print rough copies of film to score in Logic to bounce to throw back into FCP to mix and print again.

Where can I go to ask pro users or beta testers some detailed questions that are not touched on in the loop article or apples pr? This is exciting! Evidently not a GarageBand paradigm. Dave

Have you tried logicprohelp.com? :mrgreen:

You should probably include a link... :P

I find my Addictive Drums hypermap is a lot easier to read, though I would've liked to be able to assign different colours to each lane.

i'm debating abandoning AD for the new Drum Kit Designer; def more control and options with AD, but am impressed with the sounds from DKD (love using these abbreviations!). anyway, maybe...

some great new drumkits in ultrabeat as well...

I don't think DAW work can really translate into a connected clips concept, if that's what you're saying…? :?: :?

Isn't that basically what Ignite is? It seems to be more of a think-pad, non-linear way of recording.

I'm not familiar with Ignite, and am not gleaning much from their site about the workflow. With respect to AIR's efforts, at least at present i don't see this being all that much more impressive than any of the apps my younger siblings download from the Windows Store.

I mean, with FCP X, Apple decided to change the paradigm from being focused on the timing to being focused on the primary content (there was a phenomenal article written when it was released about this, and how editors were going to have to rewrap their brains around the idea, though I don't have a link offhand). But music—unless you're into the free time jazz or nu-classical or whatever—is inherently rooted in timing structures, so accordingly, DAWs offer timing grids to allow the user to ensure they literally don't miss a beat. With what I'm seeing from Ignite, I get the sense that it's an awesome thinkpad, but if you want to get into recording a fuller arrangement of a song, you've got to be pretty Johnny On-the-(erm,-)beat.

Does anyone know if there is a truly technical reason 10.8.4 is required or was this more a business decision?

Avoiding legacy issues is probably the main reason, which can be a PITA. Upgrade, move on. Simple.

"Legacy" is not in Apple's vocabulary - Period. Unlike MIcrosoft, Apple controls the software and hardware and they push through whatever they think is best. Of course that is hard for the consumer expecially if it involves $$$ investements and sometimes Apple is also wrong. But that is something the 32bit plugin crowed has to realize.

On the other hand OSX upgrades cost close to nothing (maybe soon nothing), the ultimate incentive to stay up to date. Buying new hardware to run that is a different story though.

I just wanted to say that I'm glad to see that a feature that myself - and others requested that Apple would implement - seems to have been added.

That is - the ability to play in midi notes rhythmically - without regard to pitch - then select the notes and "quantize" those notes to a key. If I'm reading the descriptions of the new midi functions that are available, we can now do that.

In earlier posts - I referred to Opcode Vision's ability to do that many years ago... I'm glad that Logic's engineers decided that adding another useful creative tool was a good thing to do.

Oh how I would LOVE for Apple to emulate the MIDI workflow of Vision. I've never been anywhere near as prolific with MIDI since Vision bit the dust....

mmmm.... no 32 bits AU plug-ins support,,, that's hard, the EQs, Compressors, Delays, Reverbs etc has the same skin it looks terrible with the new logic pro X skin, it almost looks out of place, they should upgrade the skin of the Plug-ins too, the plug-ins looks very bad with the new logic pro X skin, It looks like a unfinished version of logic.

and I can't believe the didn't create a new window for editing drums, with POINTS¡¡¡

like cubase or 99% of all audio programs 'cos drums are more like hits,, Damn...

32 bits AU plug-ins support has to come back.

I think this is an unfinished Logic Pro X. it just feels like that :cry:

Edited by lasteno

I'm liking a lot of the new features in X, drummer IS pretty slick when you dive deep, flex pitch is giving me some hiccups but still very nice, and the arpeggiator is a great tool and I'm certain I'll find use for it.

GUI, well it has a new nickname from me....................FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY ! (although there may actually be more)

"32 bits AU plug-ins support has to come back."

WOW if they can bring that back then hopefully they'll also support SCSI again so I can use my Syquest cartridges, my Zip and my Jazz drives again!!!!!!

(just a joke, don't get bent)

Got X installed today. First look says it's very different just to look at, the colours are very bold but maybe I'm just gettin' old. Arpeggiator access is so simple and the transition from 9 to X was very smooth. Only issue is that the soft keys on Euphonic controller are not coming up.

I think I am going to be rather please with this

The gui to me feels like it's really been designed for a 27 iMac or greater.

I'm on a 15in MBP (have been for years) and never had a problem with screen real estate and Logic, and this is the first version of Logic that feels cramped on my screen. Oh - and I'm on a 15 MBP with hires display too...

Not unusable by any stretch, but definitely cramped... Eg along the top bar, with the buttons on the left, and my transport display in the middle (weird choice of typeface imo, numbers look fine, text looks odd) and the buttons on the right, I don't even have space to have FF/REW buttons (Yes, I know I can customise and turn stuff off).

Logic feels really inconsistent now. Once second I'm in Ultrabeat with teeny tiny buttons, the next I'm in a MIDI arpeggiator which takes up a quarter of my screen with ginormous buttons and knobs..!

lpx_controls.jpg

And what's with the plugin header? The menus and interface elements are twice the size of the rest of them in Logic, with lots of wasted space. Feels ugly and wrong to me.

lpx_controls2.jpg

There is nice stuff of course, I like FCPX but that feels more elegant than Logic does at this stage. We'll see how it evolves...

Does anyone know if there is a truly technical reason 10.8.4 is required or was this more a business decision?

I can practically guarantee it's a technical decision.

There was a fix specifically for Logic in one of the updates recently & I guess older versions of the OS don't get that and it's vital.

But generally speaking, other versions of the OS will be missing features/apis or have bugs/issues which make supporting software on it harder mainly because your software needs to specifically "cater" for one & the other.

Some new feature may work better & faster with a new CoreAudio function, for example, but on an older system it's not available so one has to write "something else" which may be problematic & not work as well. And then people start reporting problems only on 10.8.x and I this can be a massive time & resource expense.

What's a good monitor so that these grey lines on a darker grey background are visible? Looks like it's time for me to upgrade that too.

I basically upgraded for the transpose to scale function so I'm feeling a bit foolish I assumed it would be at least as good as the one Cubase did back in Atari ST days. Hoping there's a way to add user scales to flesh it out a bit. Time for more screen-squinting as I RTFM :)

Hey ho!

WOW if they can bring that back then hopefully they'll also support SCSI again so I can use my Syquest cartridges, my Zip and my Jazz drives again!!!!!!

If you are looking to bring some of that SCSI warmth back into your recordings (I know I am!) then ScuzzItUp® is being ported over to 64bit AU so it will run with Logic Pro X.

Just keeping the joke going!