Logic Pro X and Logic Remote Now Available

I've begun using LP9 as an only a creative tool. I've got all pro DAWs installed and may say that LP9 is the best.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to advertise another DAW here but it is more professional and very stable for mixing purposes.

I make my mixes in analogue environment and may say that LPX is fifth leg for my dog. 200 green for nothing. Oh, sorryI For a nice look and happy opportunity to quit using great 32-bit plugins. Hahahah :D

I won't leave too much 32-bit stuff with perfect sound in favor of features that I don't need.

Finally, If you are going to work with LP9 and LPX on the same system you may miss other opportunities.

Sorry, Dave, for truth. I'm very disappointed by LPX.

Why be sorry to me? I was not involved in the makings of LPX!! :shock:

Nonetheless, I'm not going to advertise another DAW here but it is more professional and very stable for mixing purposes.

It's not about advertising. It's about a community of music producers discussing their tools and how they use them. You are more than welcome to freely state your opinions on this website, even if that opinion is that a tool other than Logic is better adapted to certain music production tasks. So: which other DAW are you thinking about? My guess is, PT 11?

Though if you look to Final Cut Pro X, they did a HUGE sub release that really brought in a ton of new features and really made the app into something a lot of professionals felt they could take seriously again. I could see Apple doing a big sub release for Logic X as well.

The release of FCPx is often compared to the Logic Pro X release. These are two completely different scenarios.

FCPx was a major rewrite of the underlying code, the interface and completly new (innovatve) workflows. The release was a complete desaster the way it was handeled and the application was actually a year away from finished. That's why it got two major (free!) upgrades later with tons of features that should have been in the original release.

Logic 9 on the other hand went through updates of the code before and was one of the first 64bit apps. If you compare L9 and LX, it is basically the same app, just a few new features and a nice GUI update (this is not suppose to sound negative).

That doesn't mean that they roll out new features (small or big) in upcoming point releases (Please let it be EXS24 v2)

Though if you look to Final Cut Pro X, they did a HUGE sub release that really brought in a ton of new features and really made the app into something a lot of professionals felt they could take seriously again. I could see Apple doing a big sub release for Logic X as well.

The release of FCPx is often compared to the Logic Pro X release. These are two completely different scenarios.

FCPx was a major rewrite of the underlying code, the interface and completly new (innovatve) workflows. The release was a complete desaster the way it was handeled and the application was actually a year away from finished. That's why it got two major (free!) upgrades later with tons of features that should have been in the original release.

Logic 9 on the other hand went through updates of the code before and was one of the first 64bit apps. If you compare L9 and LX, it is basically the same app, just a few new features and a nice GUI update (this is not suppose to sound negative).

That doesn't mean that they roll out new features (small or big) in upcoming point releases (Please let it be EXS24 v2)

Actually Logic is a bit under-done. The built-in plugins just don't do the new interface any justice.

Thats the only disappointment I have with logic, i got so used to the metadata no-tracks approach in FCPX I was hoping they'd do something completely different.

By saying "If you already have them, the installer won't download them, but it WILL download the content that you DON'T have

(if you allow it to (there's a menu/checkbox dialog)."

Are you saying that The installer will recognize all the loops that are currently on

my hard drive and will allow LPX to access all the loops I have weather i'm

using Logic 9 or LPX?

Or will i need to dig out my Jam pack disc's and install the loops

and any other third party loops found on my hard drive associated

with Logic 9 and garage band?

LPX will recognise all content of earlier versions - including Jam Packs.

If ANY of this previously released content is not on your hard disk(s), you will be prompted with (or can manually launch) a content download window.

This has checkboxes that let you decide what you want to download.

If the content is already installed - the checkboxes / dialog will tell you that the content is already installed.

Note that some content MUST be downloaded - such as new patch/settings/template data - and the Drummer content....if you want to use Drummer.

You have the choice to download (or not to download) everything else.

they took the yellow link button out of the piano roll view, now every new window you open in piano roll is forced to the same content.. :/

lol

True about removing the yellow link button (it now looks kinda like a martini glass without a base).

Not true about "every window" - look at the advanced options (in prefs)...and read up on Link mode....the behaviour / options have changed from V9....and can work the old way....or the new way.

The CPU saving/slow/fast response independent channel strip thing seems to be gone now,

Is it somewhere that I missed?

Apparently it's still there, just a slightly different implementation.. According to the manual:

• Track MUTE buttons are now always Channel Strip Mutes ("Fast" option, in the >L9 Prefs);

• Track ON/OFF switches ("Slow" option, in the >L9 Prefs) can mute individual Tracks as before

Apparently these ON/OFF buttons can be displayed via View options (in the Tracks area, I think)

I was glad to read this, since I love that feature for organizing & experimenting with arrangements..

Cheers,

Joe

I can't find it.

lol

How about that Leslie?

Yup! I guess it presents a great challenge: how do you adopt a flat GUI for tools that are modeling real hardware? My guess is at some point in the future, hardware modeling will fade out: the next generations may not really know what a leslie is, and they may not care that those effects used to be done by a rotating speaker in a wood rack - but they may still be interested in the modulation effect.

I think at some point we'll focus more on the effect of a plug-in on the sound and less on how those effects used to be done with real hardware.

For those bemoaning the $199 pricing, or the no upgrade pricing, or the no student discount....the $199 price is what Logic Express USED to cost and it didn't come with all the sounds that LPX does. Heck, the upgrade to LP9 was $299 when the full version was $599. Now I don't have to lug around a CD Box that takes hours to install. If I need a fresh re-install, the MacStore is a click away...and still takes hours, but I don't have to keep popping CDs in and out....and I don't have to worry about losing CDs or scratches.

I may be the minority, but I like the GarageBand interface and am glad LPX resembles it.

i'm sorry, but this counter-argument over pricing is getting a little tired....

everyone gets that logic is now so cheap that we should all just shut up and be happy, but it's not JUST about getting things cheaper per se, but a reward for continued loyalty and support

it's like saving up your pizza delivery loyalty stamps and going to cash in your 50% discount on a 12-inch deep-crust hawaiian....when you get to the shop they tell you that the voucher is no longer valid, but not to worry, the pizza now costs half the price it used to anyways...so anyone coming in on a whim to buy a pizza now gets it for the same price as you , despite you spending the last 6 months ordering your pizza from this company

for the last 7 years, apple has had all of my daw quota (logic 7, 8 & 9), yet there is concession given to this fact

as it happens, this is not something i waste any frustration on, but i think it a perfectly valid frustration for loyal logic users to have

the argument that now it's an app so there can't be any upgrades is a load of nonsense also....it's a while since i owned an ios device (though have one on it's way to me anytime now), but i know with android there are often two versions of the same app in the 'googleplay' app store).....how difficult would it be for apple to provide an app for people who already had a legit authorisation ??

as for it looking like garageband ?? if only it JUST looked like garageband, rather than also studio one, reaper, fruityloops, sonar and reaper...time was when apple led in this particular area...now ?? it just lois like a bad mashup of really ugly elements within a too-dark frame

All that skeuomorphism, all those wood panels, 3D buttons... when they just decided to get rid of all of that in iOS 7 in order to follow the swiss graphic design trends of flat GUIs.

Odd?

Strange direction sure, I had the same though when I opened Logic X, even the mixer is more like a "standard" mixer where Logic always had his own flat and modern mixer design, I like the new color scheme, but all the wood, metal, textures seems now a little outdated, and TOO MUCH, but it is personal :D

Fourth time lucky! Damn website keeps logging me out every time I try to post!

Can anyone tell me if the "smart controls" automatically map to a midi controller? For instance, if I plug in my Launchkey keyboard, will the encoders automatically control the first 8 smart controls of whichever channel I happen to be on?

Can anyone tell me if the "smart controls" automatically map to a midi controller? For instance, if I plug in my Launchkey keyboard, will the encoders automatically control the first 8 smart controls of whichever channel I happen to be on?

You have to assign yourself your controller, but you need just to do it one time, just learn the 8 pot controllers for the 8 smart controls (or more if you have more pots or buttons), and after, it will work automatically for all other projects or tracks.

Actually Logic is a bit under-done. The built-in plugins just don't do the new interface any justice.

Thats the only disappointment I have with logic, i got so used to the metadata no-tracks approach in FCPX I was hoping they'd do something completely different.

I don't think DAW work can really translate into a connected clips concept, if that's what you're saying…? :?: :?

V-Control Pro seems to work, though I am not sure how far it can go without an update. The Logic iPad controller works, but again haven't delved deeply into functionality.

Loads very snappily;

Seems to be ok CPU-wise.

So far, I give a tentative thumbs up. My biggest disappointment is with IK Multimedia for not updating their Miroslav and Sonik Synth plugs into 64 bit. So, when push comes to shove and this is the only program I can use, I'll have to get 64 bit capable orchestral and synth plugs.

Why be sorry to me? I was not involved in the makings of LPX!! :shock:

It's not about advertising. It's about a community of music producers discussing their tools and how they use them. You are more than welcome to freely state your opinions on this website, even if that opinion is that a tool other than Logic is better adapted to certain music production tasks. So: which other DAW are you thinking about? My guess is, PT 11?

Thanks, Dave. Some forum owners stay against any mentions of another software.

You were almost right. I meant Pro Tools 10 HD. I used trial version very hardly and found that has many advantages vs LP9 for mixing and editing. I switched to PT10 HD for final mixing and slight editing. Nonetheless, LP is much and much more creative tool,especially in working with software synths. It gives a thousand steps ahead for PT. For instance, Virus Control centre works awful in RTAS mode. Some synths sound poor in RTAS mode by comparison with AU mode.

I compared playing the same audio files via two AVID 192 I/O in both LP9 and PT10HD and may say that PT is better.

So, now my work flow is as following:

composing and programming software instruments in LP9.

Midi tracks for external synths and drums are fully prepared for import in PT.

audio files are bounced without EQ, and sidechaning.

I think I'll stay in LP9 until it is supported, or there will be more reasonable evidence for using LPX.

You have to assign yourself your controller, but you need just to do it one time, just learn the 8 pot controllers for the 8 smart controls (or more if you have more pots or buttons), and after, it will work automatically for all other projects or tracks.

Thanks for that, good to know. I do have another couple of questions .... (rest of the post was removed by admin)

Alright guys, let's not make this thread a huge disorganized Logic Pro X questions forum. This thread was for the announcement, and for initial reactions. But please, for specific questions about new Logic Pro X features, start a new thread in the Logic Pro forum, with a descriptive title. That way we can keep the questions/answers organized, indexed in search engines, and easy for others to access.

Thank you!

the argument that now it's an app so there can't be any upgrades is a load of nonsense also....it's a while since i owned an ios device (though have one on it's way to me anytime now), but i know with android there are often two versions of the same app in the 'googleplay' app store).....how difficult would it be for apple to provide an app for people who already had a legit authorisation ??

Continuing from this, I wonder what they will do when it comes to the next major update. Will it be a separate paid-for app called "Logic Pro XI" or continuing free updates to "Logic Pro X" ...up to now, there hasn't really been an example of a big app having a major version update in the mac app store.