Logic Pro X and Logic Remote Now Available

when i look back upon today, i will likely see it as the beginning of the end of my relationship with apple and logic :(

Well here's a thing: When Logic stopped being made for PC in 2002 I thought the apocalypse had come. Used Logic 5.1 on a PC all the way up until 2009. I suppose if Logic X turns out to be a bit crap then could use Logic 9 for another seven years... :lol:

ok. I'm in a bit of a pickle.

3weeks ago I bought Logic Pro 9 for 1 particular project.

I have not even had an opportunity to mix it down.

and what do you know, boom a new version with no free upgrade for me.

the thing is there is no difference between upgrade and new.

so if I sign into the App Store with my I'd. am I buying an upgrade or a new version. if that's the case how can I force it to a new version

... if I have to buy a new copy I might as well put my version 9 on another mac that I own.

or am I just to feel royally shafted by apple... weird feeling, as I'm a bit of a fan boy.

So Logic is caught up to Presonus Studio and has a GUI similar to Garage band. DAWs must have gone as far as they can go. $200 for this upgrade is a bit insulting. Something like a $50 update would have been better (for LP9 users only).

For anyone new to Logic, it is a good deal and I hope they allow anyone who purchase LP9 in the last YEAR to upgrade for free.

I still love Logic, but I am disappointed that Apple took this long for practically nothing new.

:|

can i completely remove everything to do with logic 9? (not my 3rd party AUs)...? i mean, do i need garageband on my mac??

logic app support files, etc?

I nuked 9 off my machine - no issues. I used this: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

LOL i will do it manually (i always do); am looking forward to the challenges, fun, frustration, and insanity of a new logic.

but first...will try X, and see what 3rd party plugins work (or don't....)

when i look back upon today, i will likely see it as the beginning of the end of my relationship with apple and logic :(

why? (just curious...)

firstly, i guess i'm pretty underwhelmed by the update..this is a personal thing, as the major additions (flex pitch and drummer) are of no interest to me...also can't see that anyone needing pitch correction wouldn't already be using the far superior melodyne product

the rest ?? a lot of guff....i like the idea of track/instrument stacks...like the thought of the new reverse-delay pedal and the ipad app seems interesting, though were it not for the gb-like smart instrument interfaces it seems like there are better controller apps out there

but these vintage organs etc while leaving all the older plugs as is.....i imagine the logic gui to look better in real life (as in pictures it doesn't do it for me at all), but calling up some of the older plugs against this new gui would just highlight how apple seems to be more concerned with adding new stuff with no interest in sorting out what they already have.....some lame drumming auto-accompaniment and new organs while exs24 still remains untouched

but this all just means saving money, as this is the only upgrade that i have no interest in at the moment

the main issue i have is the - what i perceive to be - artificial barriers to entry

i have for a while suspected that logic x would mean an os upgrade for me, and that snow leopard would unlikely be supported...the problem is that my macbook pro is to old to run 'mountain lion'....the first iteration of lion is still able to run on my computer, and i researched how to get hold of a copy of lion, since it is no longer available in the app store, in preparation for logic x....turns out that if you telephone apple they will give you an authorisation and code to download it

now it seems that lion is not even good enough..but it's worse than that...the upgrade they have been working on for the last 4 years, presumably tied in with all of the os iterations during that time, is now only available for an os version that was only released 6 weeks ago

given how little spectacular seems to have been done with logic x, i'm curious what it is that can only function on a 6-week old os

logic 9 is still great for me, but i have a really bad taste in my mouth that upgrading will cost me the price of a new computer also....it happens, but i'm waiting for someone to let me know why lion couldn't handle this update

add in how i feel regarding the hobbling of ios technology/products and things like the ipad 3 debacle and i'm starting to feel like apple are treating us like idiots

i'm in no rush to ditch logic 9 , but this almost-7-year-old laptop aint gonna last forever....i can already feel my heart drop at the thought of dumping a lot of money on overpriced tech just to run software with such blatant planned obsolescence on an os with such blatant planned obsolescence

what a lame day

rant over :(

Oh Wow!

Although the proof of the pudding is in the eating (especially the details and the workflow), of course, for me the new features look awesome.

Yeah ... no upgrade price ... that's hard. But on the other hand, I guess we get value for money.

Let's wait until the first experience will be shared with us ... or ... should we start first?

Where do you guys see GarageBand? If you ask me people who are saying that are just pickup up garbage from the FCPX fiasco some time ago. (And if someone actually used FCPX after v1 they'd see that its pretty awesome.)

But FCPX radically changed workflow from FCP7... This however, is not radically changed.

I personally am loving it... Don't know why so many haters.

After seeing those 'Smart Controls' i hit the 'buy' button on the App Store. It was the only thing i missed when coming from Ableton Live to Logic Studio 9.

Don't even get me started on the FABULOUS Midi FX!!!!!!!!

Thanks for an AMAZING upgrade!!!!

"runs back to the studio..............."

Well here's a thing: When Logic stopped being made for PC in 2002 I thought the apocalypse had come. Used Logic 5.1 on a PC all the way up until 2009. I suppose if Logic X turns out to be a bit crap then could use Logic 9 for another seven years... :lol:

don't get me wrong, i still love logic 9, and will keep using it....i'm so underwhelmed by 'x' that i don't feel i am missing out...but it just gives me a much clearer view of how apple seem to be progressing....

i'm not one of those who are whining about apple only caring about iphones, but i can't really see 4 years of work in this...once you get rid of the superfluous new instruments and pick-and-mix gui(from various other daw's), it just seems a bit lame (to me)

i'm with shiver, that maybe this type of DAW has gone as far as it can with the real innovation left to things like this

Whilst I'm happy that I can now look at a new GUI for the next few years, the improvements I was hoping for have simply been overlooked... Forget the iPad app and all the silly fluffy nonsense, where are the real performance changes??

I don't understand how you can put time into these new Guitar pedals and drum instruments but totally forget to work on the really vital things... The crazy thing is, it seems like a rush job, with so many things ignored, but they have had 4 FRIKKIN years... So lame..

Multi-Processor support

Non destructive Audio (We are in 2013 for God's sake)

Fix Logic 9 bugs (Seeing as it's obviously still the old code)

EXS24 Enhancements/improvements

If Studio One 3.0 finally offers EXS24 library importing via a native sampler similar to the EXS, then I'm out.

...firstly, i guess i'm pretty underwhelmed by the update..

what a lame day

rant over :(

You're not alone.

I could practically have written your post myself.

Personally, I've decided I'd be a fool to buy another Apple computer.

When this one craps out I'll get a custom build and start running Cubase.

I'm still on 10.5 and using L7 btw. :roll:

I'm not at all interested in dumping all my "legacy" stuff.

Apple lost me when they dumped Rosetta.

No thanx. I'm done

Ken

I told you Logic.. I hate the menu on the left hand side... :twisted:

anyways, by watching this video, its not a good timing for me to switch... as I'm having a deadline in next few weeks...

(but a retro synth is cool... Wave! DX! (and Pro5?) 8)

lots of terminology changes too, (& some layout changes)

how about the key command???

After seeing those 'Smart Controls'

What exactly are the 'Smart Controls?"

User assignable parameters in one window to control more parameters from different plugs on the same tracks.

It is pretty nifty.

i'm with shiver, that maybe this type of DAW has gone as far as it can with the real innovation left to things like this

This will make sense when we move past screen into 3D space...

like this.

Can I 'SAVE AS'??

You can go one better in Logic Pro X:

Project Alternatives lets you save the project in different states - yu can set a unique name too.

Backups allow you to visit previous saved versions of the project.

and you can now enable AutoSave!!

Sounds like Auditions from FCP X (which I've still not taken the time to learn)…

Regardless, that alone may make me decide to take the plunge…

What exactly are the 'Smart Controls?"

It's a control panel that, by default, gets automatically filled with commonly used parameters from the plugins in the channel strip. Same idea as the "macro" controls in Massive or ES2, but for the whole channel.

You can make your own custom ones as well, and learn MIDI commands for the controls. It's reminiscent of the way you construct control panels in Mainstage.

Personally, it's never gonna get clicked on over here ...

I told you Logic.. I hate the menu on the left hand side... :twisted:

anyways, by watching this video, its not a good timing for me to switch... as I'm having a deadline in next few weeks...

(but a retro synth is cool... Wave! DX! (and Pro5?) 8)

lots of terminology changes too, (& some layout changes)

how about the key command???

hahaha, that gui is a proper effing mess :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

after watching like 10 videos I kind of liked the update, but as an "upgrade" is poor. Mostly eye candy and plugins already available from 3rd party probably (it's a guess) with better quality. A few things are real improvements but my main problem: Latency compensation, seems to be still as in V8.

200$ for this an probably a new computer is a no no here. (MBP Core2Duo)

I liked the MIDI plugins. 90% of what they do can be done since V3 and a good part since Creator, but these are simpler to use and a little more advanced.

No new sampler and all this prosumer stuff is sad, so yes, it can be seen as Garage Band Pro. The good news is that they didn't remove anything so we still have good ol' Logic 9 with all these "new stuff".

I almost bought it the minute I read about the release, next I calmed down and entered in research mode. Not very impressed I have to say; still it's nice to see some "development" on the program.

I'll wait.

Anyone know the safest way to completely blow away anything to do with LP9 after installing LPX?

You really wanna do that? I'll be running LP9 concurrently with LPX at least until LPX becomes more stable. I've observed at least three major bugs so far.