Logic Pro 10.6 Official Manual and Resources

David Nahmani

Try Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Presets > U.S.

A-ha! I have mine set to Laptop! Thanks, Eric.

But if I use U.S. instead of Laptop, won't it be requiring a number pad to be able to access all available key commands?

No, the U.S. preset does not make use of a number pad. Mac keyboards no longer have a numerical keypad.

However, the default key command set is not the U.S. one, it's the initialized one: in the key command window choose Options > Initialize all Key Commands.

When you share a project to iTunes, the entire project, from the beginning** to the end of the last region, is exported. Any silence at the beginning or end of the project is trimmed.* If Cycle mode is on when you share the project, the part of the project between the start and end of the cycle region is exported.

* to bad there's no user control over that. I feel it should also show locators like in 'normal' bouncing.

** Just tested it with a song starting at bar -(minus) 3, and the resulting file started at bar 1. So with "beginning" they mean bar 1 1 1 1. :roll:

Extra heads up: the function actually behaves like Bounce: if you happen to have a region selected, the share function will only create a bounce as long as the duration of the selected region(s) :roll: :roll: . That is either a bug, or something they should have very explicitly mentioned in the manual.

Thanks for all the tips David. These may have been covered elsewhere however, worth sharing I think. I've found 3 really handy tips for refining the use of DRUMMER.

Here you go:

Tip: Multi-output for the kits, then '+' for each Aux. They get their own, pre-labelled(!) channels where you can pan and process. Yay!

Tip: After selecting 'Follow', hit 'Option T' (or select it under 'options'), then as you hover the curser over the track headers a GOLD STAR appears. Selecting it makes it a groove track, which other tracks will follow exactly. (so, choose the groove track to be the one with the highest degree of syncopation)

Tip: Splitting a Drummer region (backslash) will insert a fill at a point where you require a non-standard fill to be put into your track. The fill knob will then shape the length and complexity.

When you share a project to iTunes, the entire project, from the beginning** to the end of the last region, is exported. Any silence at the beginning or end of the project is trimmed.* If Cycle mode is on when you share the project, the part of the project between the start and end of the cycle region is exported.

* to bad there's no user control over that. I feel it should also show locators like in 'normal' bouncing.

** Just tested it with a song starting at bar -(minus) 3, and the resulting file started at bar 1. So with "beginning" they mean bar 1 1 1 1. :roll:

Extra heads up: the function actually behaves like Bounce: if you happen to have a region selected, the share function will only create a bounce as long as the duration of the selected region(s) :roll: :roll: . That is either a bug, or something they should have very explicitly mentioned in the manual.

I think that's the way that it's always worked, am I right?

I seem to remember, back in Logic 8, the first time I did a bounce and I had a region selected, I wondered "how in the world did Logic bounce this huge mix so quickly?!" .. duh! It had only bounced the region.

I never used the bounce to iTunes/share with iTunes stuff. I don't use iTunes that much, honestly, so I don't really know the intricacies of that function.

I think that's the way that it's always worked, am I right?

Yes, for the regular Bounce function, which is also still there. They've removed the "add to iTunes" checkbox from the regular bounce window and made a completely separate command called "share to iTunes". In that function you cannot see what is bounced (no locators), and the manual doesn't mention that this behaviour is like this, the above red quote is all the manual says about the "Share to iTunes" function; this info is incorrect, as it will not bounce from the beginning, unless you've made sure there's no region selected. Problem is, in the bounce window you could always enter different start- and endpoints of the bounce, the "share" bounce does not in any way show what it is going to bounce. I can only tell by making a mental note of the length of my song and checking the bounce length as shown in iTunes.

In fact, this is completely absurd, to have created this whole separate command just to get the bounce to play in iTunes, I don't see anything wrong with the one extra checkbox in the real bounce dialog as in LP9, they should quickly ditch that "trendy" and very smartphone-appy sounding "share" command. "Share" is also a bit of a misleading term, people may well think it will send your song somewhere online (like, to the iTunes store?) - '

"sharing" is an online sort of thing, you don't "share" things with yourself. :? Also, it gives the impression that you make the song freely available...

I think they should ditch those "share" commands alltogether. I can't imagine anybody uploading a bounce without listening to it first...

Is there any other new samples (or at least newly programmed) now ?

Yes there's new EXS instruments, UB Kits, and Apple Loops. There's also around 20GB of content for the new Drum Kit Designer.

if there is there is another reason upgrade

Most of the reasons are listed in the first post of this thread.

J.

This is FABULOUS news!

However, this kind of stuff is a little bit out of my bailiwick. Might be for others too. Would it be possible for someone to explain the exact procedures needed to:

• acquire Xcode (or any of the other utilities mentioned in this thread)

• steps needed to find the parameters, make the changes, and save the altered file?

Cheers,

Ski

This could be tricky at this moment.

To download Xcode you have to become a member of the apple developer community, I believe (it was like that in 2011, at least). For now, that may be tricky though, see the enclosed email I (and probably all other apple dev members) got yesterday. Disclaimer: I haven't checked if the site is even up or not, it may all be OK.

1239129915_pic2013-07-24at12_30_41.PNG.76c46dd19e4e86bc9636ca31ed463f77.PNG

To download Xcode you have to become a member of the apple developer community, I believe

I think you can just download it from the App Store...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12

I vaguely remember I had to register (which was free) to dowload Xcode, but that may have changed.

While you're all at it, you should also download the latest (or most appropriate) Audio Tools for Xcode, which comes with AU Lab and HALLab. I tend to back out of discussions with people with latency problems because I know they quite often don't know what their round-trip latency really is. If you want to know exactly what your latency is, and other detailed audio driver info like this:

HALLab from Audio Tools for Xcode

HALLab_from_Audio_Tools_for_Xcode.png.4278915fd3ec15657ff97ec3e5f61bbb.png

Turns out you can change gui colors in this plist:

MAResourcesMapping.plist

[/color]

The Customising Logic Pro X GUI Colours Thread

You have no idea what this means to me.

I'm actually in a conversation with a Logic rep concerning vision impairments and LPX, but seeing this means I actually have some options again, even if nothing changes on their end. I don't need to trick out LPX throughout, but as I have posted elsewhere, simply need to bring the background and grid more on an even plane with the foreground objects. This example demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about. THANK YOU!

pax

Just noticed the prelisten function has improved in the project bin and I think the sample editor.

In the past, it always sent the audio through the prelisten channel.

Now, by control-clicking the prelisten button, you can choose to prelisten through the prelisten channel as before, or through the selected channel strip - handy when you want to preview your audio in context with effects etc.

Just noticed the prelisten function has improved in the project bin and I think the sample editor.

In the past, it always sent the audio through the prelisten channel.

Now, by control-clicking the prelisten button, you can choose to prelisten through the prelisten channel as before, or through the selected channel strip - handy when you want to preview your audio in context with effects etc.

Nothing changed here, same as in LP9. :wink:

Nothing changed here, same as in LP9. :wink:

Ah, maybe it wasn't documented, because I checked the LP9 manuals and that wasn't there - so I assumed it was a new feature in LPX.

Maybe it was added in a 9.x version and never added to the main PDF then... that one slipped me by, obviously...

Ah, maybe it wasn't documented, because I checked the LP9 manuals and that wasn't there - so I assumed it was a new feature in LPX.

Maybe it was added in a 9.x version and never added to the main PDF then... that one slipped me by, obviously...

It was in Logic 9.0.0. It is documented in the Logic 9 PDF (page 551) and also in my book... does anyone read my book? :lol: No excuse Beej'! :mrgreen:

It was in Logic 9.0.0. It is documented in the Logic 9 PDF (page 551)

Hmm, weirder. It's *not* documented in my LP9 PDF, not on page 551, or when I search for "Prelisten". I did look, honestly!

It is however in the LPX manual in the relevant pages.

Page 551 in my LP9 User Manual PDF:

"To start or stop playback

Do one of the following:

μ Enable the Prelisten button (or use the Play/Stop Selection key command, default assignment: Space bar). Disable the Prelisten button to stop playback.

μ Double-click the ruler at the point you want playback to begin. A second double-click stops playback."

Nothing about the control-click prelisten option in any places prelisten is mentioned in the LP9 PDF.

In the LPX PDF, same place:

"Control playback with the Prelisten button

1 Control-click the Prelisten button, then choose an option from the shortcut menu:

• Auto-select Channel Strip: Plays the region displayed in the Audio File Editor through the audio channel strip assigned to the region’s source track (shown in the main window).

• Prelisten Channel Strip: Plays back using the Prelisten channel strip. You can access the Prelisten channel strip in the Environment’s Mixer layer. It’s located to the right of the highest- numbered audio channel strip.

2 Click the Prelisten button (or use the Play/Stop Selection key command, default assignment: Space bar) to start playback.

3 Click the Prelisten button (or use the Play/Stop Selection key command, default assignment: Space bar) to stop playback."

and also in my book... does anyone read my book? :lol: No excuse Beej'! :mrgreen:

You have a book..?

;)

Edit: Just downloaded your version - thanks for that.

It is different to mine - that one is 26.6MB, mine is 26.2MB, and while yours has the prelisten stuff documented in it, mine doesn't. So I clearly have an version of the LP9 docs for whatever reason before that feature existed, or was documented. Weird! I wonder what other differences there are..?

620160075_ScreenShot2013-07-26at15_50_36.thumb.png.668adc4fbff518700b7b37d0a9d9042f.png

My PDF on the left, yours on the right, both showing page 551

Edited by beej

You can understand my confusion!

I confess I didn't check in LP9 itself as it asks me to re-validate all my plugins when it runs, and can't face the agony... :o

I'll try this:

http://lifehacker.com/5917106/diffpdf-finds-differences-between-pdf-files

Edit: Nice tool! Yes, lots of differences, mainly wording stuff. I'm having a quick look to see if there is anything else significant...

Edited by beej