Logic Pro 10.6 Official Manual and Resources

David Nahmani

Turns out you can change gui colors in this plist:

MAResourcesMapping.plist

[/color]

The Customising Logic Pro X GUI Colours Thread

Please help me, Ive been searching for days on how to do this and you have done it. How? Ive navigated to

/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/Frameworks/MAResources.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MAResourcesMapping.plist

And I see all of the icons, but which one is the arrange window? please end this poor noobs search.

the default key command set is not the U.S. one, it's the initialized one: in the key command window choose Options > Initialize all Key Commands.

Hi David,

What is the difference between Initializing all key commands and the US set in Logic X? I've tried going back and forth between the US set and "Initialize all key commands" and don't see any difference. Of course I haven't methodically gone through every key command. But Initializing the US set doesn't seem to do anything, as far as I can see. Can you shed any light?

Thanks

Eli Krantzberg

You may be right Eli - they were different in Logic 9, but in Logic X they appear to be the same (after a quick look through at least). Thank you for pointing that out!!

No prob. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. With the absence of the numeric keypad specific commands, they seem to have merged what were previously laptop specific key commands with the old US with extended keyboard commands. It'll take me a while to get used to R instead of * as the record command! But it will at least most likely make for a more consistent format for teaching/learning Logic.

I really hate though their defaults for the +/- keys for increment/decrement. You need to use a modifier for one, but not the other. I know of course they can be reassigned, but those are the defaults. Strange!

Eli

the absence of the numeric keypad specific commands, they seem to have merged what were previously laptop specific key commands with the old US with extended keyboard commands.

It may be more complicated? I'm using an extended keyboard with numeric keypad here and by default there are a lot of key commands learned by position - for example the numbers on my numeric keypad go to the corresponding marker numbers, while the numbers on my main keypad go to the corresponding screenset.

I'm assuming that if I were to plug a compact keyboard without numeric keypad, it would automatically change my key commands while staying in the same preset? Not sure, haven't tried yet.

I'm using an extended keyboard with numeric keypad here and by default there are a lot of key commands learned by position - for example the numbers on my numeric keypad go to the corresponding marker numbers, while the numbers on my main keypad go to the corresponding screenset.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing! I also use an extended keyboard and find the new default mappings complex to untangle. I seem to have trouble with double digit screensets that involve the number 1 in them when using the regular qwerty numbers.

I'm assuming that if I were to plug a compact keyboard without numeric keypad, it would automatically change my key commands while staying in the same preset? Not sure, haven't tried yet.

I have to try this too. I also additionally have a regular wireless Apple keyboard without the extended keypad. I should connect this up as well and check it out. I'm away from Logic unfortunately until tomorrow evening though....

Eli

Sorry if this has been covered (not in this thread at least)

Now FINALLY you can perform batch fades on regions!!!

Select all regions and then perform a fade by clicking and swiping in the top of any region (the 'Fade tool click region' opt needs to be on) Or you can just use the CONTOL+SHIFT modifier keys to do that.

However, there seems to be a bug when you try to undo it... it only clears the fade from the first region. I guess it'll be fixed soon

Sorry if this has been covered (not in this thread at least)

Now FINALLY you can perform batch fades on regions!!!

Select all regions and then perform a fade by clicking and swiping in the top of any region (the 'Fade tool click region' opt needs to be on) Or you can just use the CONTOL+SHIFT modifier keys to do that.

However, there seems to be a bug when you try to undo it... it only clears the fade from the first region. I guess it'll be fixed soon

Thanks for posting on this topic. I've noticed that bug ... and others... let's continue that discussion in a separate thread: Logic Pro X fade tool applies batch fades? - Thanks!

I'd love to hear your findings. I can wait. :D

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay. Just checked it out. I disconnected my wired extended keyboard. Then quit and restarted Logic with the wireless non extended keyboard connected. And I didn't notice a single difference with the key commands. It was the exact same set. With the ensuing restrictions due to the limits of the keyboard (ex: go to beginning or selection is control + home. Impossible on a regular keyboard!).

Eli

Sorry for the delay. Just checked it out. I disconnected my wired extended keyboard. Then quit and restarted Logic with the wireless non extended keyboard connected. And I didn't notice a single difference with the key commands. It was the exact same set. With the ensuing restrictions due to the limits of the keyboard (ex: go to beginning or selection is control + home. Impossible on a regular keyboard!).

Ah ok interesting! So they have basically assigned the less used commands to the numeric and center keypads I guess... makes sense. thanks Eli! :D

Cycle Area Tip:

Add the "Swap Left and Right Locators" command to the control bar by right-clicking (it is invisible by default)

Better yet - instead: Command-Click a Cycle section and it will swap the ends, creating a skip cycle area

You can also Command-Drag to create a skip section (think this was the old way)

Edited by jdoo

Hi everybody.

Did you check out the free Logic Remote for iPad? I've found some great stuff in LPX, some new things to learn (that are really annoying when you're running against a deadline) but nothing has had as much impact on my workflow as the iPad app. You can custom make 'hardware' buttons for frequently used functions. Like toggle hide/show movie (huge timesaver/convenience-enhancer if you view video's you score for at the same screen you work in). And the buttons just tell you what they do, so no more guessing or looking it up. Replace the preset buttons by tap-holding them with two fingers.

Everything you do regularly that involves looking for a submenu in a submenu can now be reduced to pushing a clearly labeled button. That saves hours on a project, rather than minutes. And for people that never checked out logic's key commands: that's like buying a guitar and never tuning it. Lot's of functions are only in the key-commands and not accessible through any menu. Like 'play from left side of the screen' or my favorite: 'capture last take as recording'. As you're jamming on a loop (with a controller keyboard, not audio), and you're like, yeah, that went right. I wished I had recorded that one. You just hit the button on the iPad and it's there! I actually record everything that way, as I rarely get it right the first take. Memorizing al teose key commands is a pain, and I always keep forgetting them. Having them at the desk as colorful labeled buttons finally unleashes their true power.

So to me the Logic Remote is the biggest improvement in LPX. I place the iPad on the midi keyboard and don't have to turn to the computer anymore while recording. I take it to the couch and hit play if I want to listen to a mix from a distance. If you don't have an iPad, getting one might be the most rewarding investment to improve your workflow. I have hardly touched our Mackie control since I have the app.