Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

This isn't all that important, and I imagine highly unlikely, but is there some fancy way (eg. using the scripter or environment) to have Drum Machine Designer automatically assign a specific icon and color based on the name of an imported drum sample file?

No, there's nothing like that.

Figured as much, thanks for confirming David

and if you need to change the velocity why not just use the mouse select and drag up or down?

you have to select FIRST the option "velocity/value" hahaha. man.... why does apple make thing so Complicated ?.. with something very simple ?

Kinda ranty, but whatever. I think the step sequencer is pretty great...

If you want to edit step on/off and velocity at the same time, stick in Velocity mode, and command-click to turn steps on and off.

I know that.. That's the only Way.. But You really Don't Need to PUSH another Key while Pressing the Mouse.. you Could just do it.. easier All With

ONE click.. keep presing UP or DOWN to change the velocity Without Having to CHOSE first another Parameter to change that in the First Place..

... soooo illogical.

can't you just mute or delete the hit you don't want?...

I hear what you're saying but I have a particular way of 'drawing' in my hits. I like to set all velocities on all hits to 0 and just raise the velocity on the ones I want to use. Creates more of a groove and kills 2 birds with one stone. Saves me from having to change the lane view between on/off and velocity.

With a velocity of 1, I can still hear the hit in areas where I want to hear nothing. Not what I want.

you can expand view in on/off view to show velocity as well.

Kinda ranty, but whatever. I think the step sequencer is pretty great...

If you want to edit step on/off and velocity at the same time, stick in Velocity mode, and command-click to turn steps on and off.

I know that.. That's the only Way.. But You really Don't Need to PUSH another Key while Pressing the Mouse.. you Could just do it.. easier All With

ONE click.. keep presing UP or DOWN to change the velocity Without Having to CHOSE first another Parameter to change that in the First Place..

... soooo illogical.

There is an advantage to Logic’s way. In velocity mode you can just click anywhere to set the velocity. Much faster with many notes. Imagine you would have to click AND hold AND drag EVERY note individually. Maybe just me but no thanks.

Anyone notice anything weird opening an older template?

If I unlock/lock a screenset, the screenset goes blank and when I click the number at the top it say No Project Open but if I change to a different screenset the project is still open.

Soloing a region brings me to the inner most folder I have hidden with groove templates. Can't figure that one out.

I think I"m going to build my template from scratch in 10.5 just to be sure.

Anyone notice anything weird opening an older template?

If I unlock/lock a screenset, the screenset goes blank and when I click the number at the top it say No Project Open but if I change to a different screenset the project is still open.

Soloing a region brings me to the inner most folder I have hidden with groove templates. Can't figure that one out.

I think I"m going to build my template from scratch in 10.5 just to be sure.

i have 3 basic templates i work with, and all open exactly as they always have (& behave as usual). let us know how a 'virgin' template works...

I have some questions about this. What are the implications for already created songs that used EXS24?

Sampler is fully compatible with all EXS24 files.

Also, I did some auto-sampling in MainStage and was using them in ESX24 in Logic...will those still be there, just with this new "Sampler" UI?

Yes, they should just instead load with Sampler seamlessly.

I had issues loading older Logic Sessions from 2010, not sure how long you guys been using logic but older versions some times will need a newer version update (around that period) to convert them, well, some where too old, some I had to open on another computer with an older copy of Logic, work my way to this one then find out esx24, Amplitube, Ozone, Waves all showed up as missing fx or instrument inserts as the versions of the plus ins where also too old to simply open.

My advise is to stay clear of Logic 10.5, if you want Live loops use Live for now, if you want a step sequencer make or find an environment in Logic ready to go configured.

Logic Users who have been at this since Apple purchased the program from Emagic know that most of these features where already under the hood, sadly the trends of tech companies playing this down in desperation or greed are the reason technology is going backwards., don't try explaining this to Apple sponsored forums, you will be banned as if you where a whistle blower revealing their scams.

Don't get me wrong, there are pluses with Apple creating a prosumer version out of Logic Pro and spreading it out into the public, the one main good thing besides making this technology more affordable as been that older users are far more wiser in the game and can produce far better results with these toys, even generations before this when samplers with syquest drives where the driving force, these people are very good at what they do against new generations.

Logic 1-6 projects generally need loading in Logic 7 to bring them into a more modern project format, and then can be successfully loaded into LPX.

I've converted hundreds of projects, from Creator/Notator (Atari ST), Logic 1.x, 2.x (Atari ST), 4.x (Windows), 5.x (Windows), 6.x (Mac PPC), and never had a problem with LPX opening something.

Third-party plugins are another issue, but that's not a Logic problem in itself.

If you think all this stuff was in Logic 5/6 and think that 20 years of development work by a skilled bunch of guys amounts to "desperation or greed", (especially considering the price of Logic and zero upgrade fees) well then I don't know what weed you are smoking but you are certainly out of touch with reality a bit... Sorry. You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but not your own facts...

Sampler is fully compatible with all EXS24 files.

Yes, they should just instead load with Sampler seamlessly.

I had issues loading older Logic Sessions from 2010, not sure how long you guys been using logic but older versions some times will need a newer version update (around that period) to convert them, well, some where too old, some I had to open on another computer with an older copy of Logic, work my way to this one then find out esx24, Amplitube, Ozone, Waves all showed up as missing fx or instrument inserts as the versions of the plus ins where also too old to simply open.

My advise is to stay clear of Logic 10.5, if you want Live loops use Live for now, if you want a step sequencer make or find an environment in Logic ready to go configured.

Logic Users who have been at this since Apple purchased the program from Emagic know that most of these features where already under the hood, sadly the trends of tech companies playing this down in desperation or greed are the reason technology is going backwards., don't try explaining this to Apple sponsored forums, you will be banned as if you where a whistle blower revealing their scams.

what scam? i just opened 2 projects from 2009, and one from 2010; of course, plugins i no longer have won't be there.

meanwhile, if you're having issues, this is a great forum to get help. but telling people to steer clear of a new version of logic based on your singular experience is pointless.

I highly recommend using the PDF (which is finally back) instead of iBooks - the latter being the worst manual reader ever (doesn't support full text search at all).

I'd take iBooks over the Apple Help Viewer any day of the year!

But yes, PDF is also good.

I love the iBook manuals. I used to view the online manual but since 10.5 I started using the iBook reader, and find it very slick. My only complaint would be that they made separate manuals for Logic, the instruments, and the effects, whereas the online manual was one single document with everything in it, which made easier to search. With the iBook I often find myself searching a manual and not finding anything only to realize I'm searching the wrong document.

I've migrated to Win 10 and Cubase for audio work now, so no longer confined to the Apple eco system. But i can happily say this is hands down a great update and a resounding step forward for the DAW as a whole, particularly for creativity.

I think they've done a great job adding so many potentially app-breaking features while keeping it stable. Yes there's stuff that was already in the works/under the hood - but there's a huge skill in bringing those functions online, integrated and testing the product as a whole at that point, when coding it's usually easier to build and test functions from scratch than dealing with legacy code.

So, I'd never point the finger at this v10.5 release as an example of tech going backwards, but there IS a very cynical part of me that thinks this update only exists as they had the Mac Pro to promote at the video and audio market. As they missed the MP launch by quite a margin (5/6 months), i think it's safe to assume that this project was much harder to finalise than anticipated, so it wasn't a case of just 'enabling' components under the hood.

I'm glad i'm not stuck in the Apple eco system still though, had many great years in it - now the advantages of being an Apple user are negligible for me. As a Logic user, i'd expect a long period of silence and complete lack of engagement from Apple to follow. Which is fine if you're happy with the current build. For those with issues it's another long long wait..

Edited by skijumptoes

So, I'd never point the finger at this v10.5 release as an example of tech going backwards, but there IS a very cynical part of me that thinks this update only exists as they had the Mac Pro to promote at the video and audio market. As they missed the MP launch by quite a margin (5/6 months), i think it's safe to assume that this project was much harder to finalise than anticipated, so it wasn't a case of just 'enabling' components under the hood.

I'm glad i'm not stuck in the Apple eco system still though, had many great years in it - now the advantages of being an Apple user are negligible for me. As a Logic user, i'd expect a long period of silence and complete lack of engagement from Apple to follow. Which is fine if you're happy with the current build. For those with issues it's another long long wait..

speculation, theory... and what your feelings tell you. how is this useful in the real world? sorry, don't mean to be rude, but what you assume, and what is real, may not be the same. facts help.

apple is good at updates, which we'll see down the line with 10.5... same as always.

speculation, theory... and what your feelings tell you. how is this useful in the real world? sorry, don't mean to be rude, but what you assume, and what is real, may not be the same. facts help.

I'd never take anything you write as rude, and of course it's just assumptions based on previous 'factual' experiences. I simply won't be investing into any new Apple hardware as i don't like their arrogance or ethics towards end users, independent repair shops and third party developers. Which is a whole other topic i'm not engaging any further on here.

However, i needed to mention this fact as my reply was to say that despite no longer having vested interest in either Logic OR Apple, it doesn't stop me from acknowledging this as a superb update on the whole, for many existing and potentially new users.

But, you somehow felt the need to question what 'use' my feelings have in the real world? Honestly mate, not a clue what point you're even trying to make. If you're seriously suggesting that people who have had issues (Such as DPC bussing bugs) will magically get a fix incoming, then let's wait and see, eh? My bet will be years, if not ever. Logic selling the next iPad Pro will be their focus before that.

I'm tired of waiting, so i use something that instead, works today. I always assumed you was a believer in that ideology?

Edited by skijumptoes

I love the iBook manuals. I used to view the online manual but since 10.5 I started using the iBook reader, and find it very slick. My only complaint would be that they made separate manuals for Logic, the instruments, and the effects, whereas the online manual was one single document with everything in it, which made easier to search. With the iBook I often find myself searching a manual and not finding anything only to realize I'm searching the wrong document.

Search the iBook manual for "lead sheet". One single hit.

Open the PDF in Acrobat Reader (Preview usually doesn't deal well with PDFs this big). Perform the same search and be surprised.

Seriously, especially in case you know Logic already and only want to search a few specific things every now and then, iBooks is of absolutely no help.

I'd never take anything you write as rude, and of course it's just assumptions based on previous 'factual' experiences. I simply won't be investing into any new Apple hardware as i don't like their arrogance or ethics towards end users, independent repair shops and third party developers. Which is a whole other topic i'm not engaging any further on here.

But, you somehow felt the need to question what 'use' my feelings have in the real world? Honestly mate, not a clue what point you're even trying to make. If you're seriously suggesting that people who have had issues (Such as DPC bussing bugs) will magically get a fix incoming, then let's wait and see, eh? My bet will be years, if not ever. Logic selling the next iPad Pro will be their focus before that.

I'm tired of waiting, so i use something that instead, works today. I always assumed you was a believer in that ideology?

am only commenting on your specific post, not about people having issues. and an assumption is an assumption, regardless of what it's 'based' on.

apple is a corporation; how many non-arrogant, vibey corporations can you name? microsoft?

anyway, so it goes. will get back to discussing 10.5, and not tell you (or anyone) what to say or not say :mrgreen:

Search the iBook manual for "lead sheet". One single hit.

6 here.

Open the PDF in Acrobat Reader (Preview usually doesn't deal well with PDFs this big). Perform the same search and be surprised.

Preview: 5 here.

Acrobat: 6 here. Oh look - same as iBooks!

I'm not sure what your point is, other than perhaps you're not great at search! :P :wink:

Seriously, especially in case you know Logic already and only want to search a few specific things every now and then, iBooks is of absolutely no help.

That's not the only way to use it though. I just like to pick a chapter I want to now more about and read through it. It's fine for that purpose.