Korg nanokontrol2 editor CC setup issues

PolareK

Hi everyone,

I just got my nanokontrol2 one month ago and I've searched hours trying to fix this issue but didn't find any video or discussion to fix it so I decided to write myself.

My goal is to simply setup CC1 to control modulation (i.e the mod wheel) for my Kontakt orchestral instruments in Logic. Unfortunately, the first problem is that my Korg Nanokontrol Editor doesn't let me change the values of the CC numbers and the lower/higher values of each slider. It seems to be completely none responsive and changes the values randomly when I try to manipulate it. Does anyone know if there still are compatibility issues with the Korg Nanokontrol Editor and macOS Big Sur as I'm also using the M1 chips ?

Ignoring the fact that I can't handle the editor, I still somehow managed to get a CC1 slider and wrote the scene to save the changes. But now when I move this CC1 slider in Kontakt, it doesn't affect the mod wheel (doesn't affect anything to be precise). Do you have any idea how to solve this eternal issue of mine ?

Thanks in advance.

621086049_NanokontrolEditorScreenshot.thumb.png.7512287f7ddbbf708a37646a7ac0a947.png

There is a picture of my Nanokontrol Editor

I’m on BigSur but on an Intel machine.

I’ll have to test it when I get to the studio. I never encountered the issue you describe but I must admit that I didn’t use my Nano Kontrol for quite a while (several months).

In Logic, you could custom assign a given CC to what ever there is via the Controller assignment functions.

Besides the usual direct approach, Kontakt has dedicated CC pane (the Automation tab) where to edit the controller assignment.

Alternately, you could use a MIDI transformer object (in the Environment) or the Modifier MIDI Fx to convert on the fly the CC coming from your Nano.

I've had this same issue.

I believe it means there's a conflict and two controllers are programmed to manage the same CC.

If you search my posts on Korg NanoKontrol you'll find a few guys here solved my issue.

search.php?author_id=71455&sr=posts

Look for the posts that talk about CC controllers.

If that doesnt help post back and I can try to help you through it.

Drew

Thanks for your responsiveness.

To begin with, I believe the fastest way to solve my issue would be to simply make the korg editor work but it doesn’t for me on Big Sur with M1 processor not Intel. Are you able to enlighten the fact that the editor works perfectly for some other Big Sur users ?

Secondly, I didn’t quite explain what things I’ve tried : I can actually use the Learn CC assignment mode in logic and as an exemple I actually managed to assign the dynamics (equivalent to modulation actually) from Kontakt to my nanokontrol sliders which is great since I don’t need the Korg Editor to work ! The issue is that I have multiple libraries which only use the modulation wheel to change the dynamics and when I try to assign modulation with learn mode, logic doesn’t register my sliders and it simply doesn’t work.

I also have a komplete kontrol m32 midi keyboard with a proper modulation wheel which works perfectly well but I only use it when I’m traveling and I just want to transpose this modulation wheel aka CC1 to my nanokontrol what ever the way :(

Zipfunk I didn’t quite find the solutions discussed in your older post but it's seems like you missed the "write scene" option which I already tried using but since I can't even change the values at all in my editor it's more problematic...

To begin with, I believe the fastest way to solve my issue would be to simply make the korg editor work but it doesn’t for me on Big Sur with M1 processor not Intel. Are you able to enlighten the fact that the editor works perfectly for some other Big Sur users ?

Heres a quick video using the Korg editor.

I know what you're saying about the editor. If you look at the CC Number window it flickers and doesn't respond at all but that doesnt seem to matter

as the actual CC# (square below the fader in the graphic) does change.

Then click Communication and Write Scene Data and you should be done.

If this doesnt help and you find that your fader doesnt do anything in your Logic Display then I think you might have a conflict in your controllers

(Logic Pro/Control Surfaces/Controller Assignments)

This post of me trying to fix this is here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129104

David, JacobP and Atlas007 helped immensely.

I hope this helps.

Drew

Heres a quick video using the Korg editor.

I know what you're saying about the editor. If you look at the CC Number window it flickers and doesn't respond at all but that doesnt seem to matter

as the actual CC# (square below the fader in the graphic) does change.

Then click Communication and Write Scene Data and you should be done.

If this doesnt help and you find that your fader doesnt do anything in your Logic Display then I think you might have a conflict in your controllers

(Logic Pro/Control Surfaces/Controller Assignments)

This post of me trying to fix this is here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129104

David, JacobP and Atlas007 helped immensely.

I hope this helps.

Drew

Thanks for the video, it's exactly the weird flicker issue I have but as you saw in the screenshot I sent in my first post I did manage to do what is done in the video, I actually have a slider set to CC1, it's showing in the editor interface but it just doesn't work inside logic.

Moreover I don't seem to have cc conflicts as I clearly don't have any commands set to my modulation (or any other type of automation).

When you move the fader does it change in Logic’s display?

Also, somewhere in the post I linked to there was a mention of an app to check the midi signals. (Sorry for not knowing it offhand, I’m at work and can’t check)

It was called noize something if I remember correctly. It check if you were sending midi info

The app Zipfunk is talking about is MIDI Monitor from SNoize (which is free btw).

I think that one place to check in your Mac would be the AMS, where the nano Kontrol should appear.

Also worth paying a visit to, would be in Logic’s Control Surface Setup window. The nano Kontrol should appear there too. Make sure while you are in there that no undue control surface installation is present, since that could interfere.

Additionally, in the MIDI Controller pref, does your nano Kontrol show up as check-marked?

The app Zipfunk is talking about is MIDI Monitor from SNoize (which is free btw).

I think that one place to check in your Mac would be the AMS, where the nano Kontrol should appear.

Also worth paying a visit to, would be in Logic’s Control Surface Setup window. The nano Kontrol should appear there too. Make sure while you are in there that no undue control surface installation is present, since that could interfere.

Additionally, in the MIDI Controller pref, does your nano Kontrol show up as check-marked?

As I said in my second post, logic is perfectly able to detect my nanokontrol2, the proof is that I managed to assign different controls like track volume, expression and others to my sliders with the learn mode feature from LPX (which is a great alternative since my korg editor is not working well). My issue is that this learn mode feature doesn’t work when I apply it to modulation which is my frustration. I don’t have any other midi controller connected so I don’t see how anything could interfere as well…

I'll try using Snoize MIDI Monitor though ! Also the auto checkbox wasn't checked but I voluntarily unchecked it since I didn't want to use the auto assigned presets. Checking this box didn't change anything to my modulation issue.

I believe the problem is that modulation doesn’t seem to be assignable to my sliders with the learn mode feature just so I could use my sliders as a modulation wheel.

And this makes me come back to the solution of simply assigning a slider as CC1 in the editor as this is the conventional cc number for modulation but since it doesn’t work for me I don’t see any solution…

Edited by PolareK

Also here are some screenshots of the my MIDI Studio, Control Surface Setup in Logic and midi controller preferences. The nanokontrol2 is there no problem. I must also mention that I bought my Komplete Kontrol after the nanokontrol2 and I don't use them together so there is no interference here.

275404533_ControlSurfaceSetup.thumb.png.0e4018f895ed8f48b4921058802379f2.png

1083129991_MIDIStudio.thumb.png.823f976c862ce173df71624ceb5906c9.png

812786269_MIDIcontrollerpreference.thumb.png.4f4d3be63ae1362ec321916d7fc01d78.png

When you move the fader does it change in Logic’s display?

Also, somewhere in the post I linked to there was a mention of an app to check the midi signals. (Sorry for not knowing it offhand, I’m at work and can’t check)

It was called noize something if I remember correctly. It check if you were sending midi info

I tried assigning my sliders to automation parameters like track volume, expression, and other smart controls with the learn mode feature from LPX and when I move them logic detects it perfectly, it worked alright but not with modulation (CC1).

Sorry for the multiple posts but I just found someone that has the same EXACT issue on VI forum : https://vi-control.net/community/threads/how-do-i-map-kontakt-mod-wheel-control-to-my-midi-controller-logic-x.55861/

I think I kind of confused some of you with the real problem : It's all about mapping this Kontakt mod wheel to my nanokontrol2 but unfortunately no one found a solution in the VI

forum.

Edited by PolareK

By setting it up as a control surface, the midi from it is "hijacked" and never hits the sequencer (and your instruments). Try this; go Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Bypass all Control Surfaces, and then try your fader when playing the kontakt instrument ?

I tried it and nothing is changing when I use the "bypass all control surface" - the nanokontrol2 sliders are no longer registered by logic and there's no longer sound coming out my Kontakt instruments.

Another forum with the same issue ! https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158319

Maybe just reading the first post would give you a better idea of the problem.

Since that same problem occurs with Reaper, chances are that the source of the issues lies within the nanoKontrol rather than Logic.

BTW, according to your screen capture you have some weird stuff going on in the AMS…

IMG_0017.thumb.jpeg.967329674948b21781bb67ec9b171c2b.jpeg

Thus, I would try resetting the entire controller setup up.

Meaning delete all the devices in the Setup window, delete all the assignments in the assignments window.

Reboot Logic without anything connected.

Verify that Logic controller Setup and Assignments windows are empty.

Quit Logic.

Check in the AMS and delete the installed devices.

Reboot your Mac.

Once rebooted, launch Logic, then connect only your nano.

See how it goes from there.

Another forum with the same issue ! https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158319

Maybe just reading the first post would give you a better idea of the problem.

Since that same problem occurs with Reaper, chances are that the source of the issues lies within the nanoKontrol rather than Logic.

BTW, according to your screen capture you have some weird stuff going on in the AMS…

IMG_0017.jpeg

Thus, I would try resetting the entire controller setup up.

Meaning delete all the devices in the Setup window, delete all the assignments in the assignments window.

Reboot Logic without anything connected.

Verify that Logic controller Setup and Assignments windows are empty.

Quit Logic.

Check in the AMS and delete the installed devices.

Reboot your Mac.

Once rebooted, launch Logic, then connect only your nano.

See how it goes from there.

Ok I will try doing a full reset like you said. By the way thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out with this :)

I saw the AMS glitch thing, I believe it's not normal but it doesn't have an impact on my issue though. I think most of these problems come from the lack of compatibility of the nanokontrol2 and MacOS Big Sur.

Maybe if you have some time, you could give a quick look at the forum discussion I talked about in my latest post to see if this gives you any new ideas... What I'm really trying to achieve is to set this mod wheel in the Kontakt player and this comes directly from the Kontakt and logic interfaces as they talk about in other forums.

Thanks again for your time !

• 3 months later...
Hi PolareK, have you figured out the issue here? I'm having the same problem. I have found it will work if I delete the nanokontrol entirely from the Logic control surface menu, which gives me back normal CC functionality, but the downside then is none of the transport and alternative controls work anymore. Seems I can't have both which I think is kind of ridiculous. Let me know if you've found a solve!