DAW controller opening a track's instrument or plug-in window when moving a volume slider

James_H

Hello,

I've started using a Korg nanoKontrol2. I have it in Mackie control. When I move a volume slider, the track is selected and the instrument or the first plug-in window opens. When I'm adjusting multiple volumes while mixing, this creates multiple windows opening and closing. This might be a function of the open/close instrument plug-in window of focused track? I've put in several hours trying to stop the windows opening, but no joy. Hoping someone has a workaround. Thank you for any assistance.

James_H

• James_H changed the title to DAW controller opening a track's instrument or plug-in window when moving a volume slider

Sounds like Logic is in the MCU-triggered plugin edit or instrument edit mode, so when you select a track, it will open the plugin or instrument on that track by design. I don't know how the Korg has implemented their MCU implementation, whether you can change modes etc - the MCU has dedicated buttons to switch mdoes between track/pan/eq/plugin edit/instrument edit modes etc.

Thank you for the suggestion. 👍

- When I select a track with the mouse, the instrument or plug-in window doesn't open.

- When I use the Korg controller's volume fader, the instrument or plug-in window opens.

- When I close the instrument or plug-in window, I can use the volume fader and the window doesn't open again.

- If I use the pan knob, the instrument or plug-in window doesn't open. However, this seems to reset the volume fader and the window opens again if I use it.

I've been reviewing both settings for the volume fader and the pan knob. I've tried changing various volume fader settings to match the pan knob settings, hoping one was the trigger opening the instrument or plug-in window. So far no luck. 

I've uploaded a screen shot of the two panels. Hoping there's a quick fix in the volume fader settings I'm not seeing?

Controller assignment parameters.jpg

Edited by James_H
typo

2 hours ago, James_H said:

When I use the Korg controller's volume fader, the instrument or plug-in window opens.

That seems like somethings amiss indeed, if you get that behaviour, and it's not also selecting a track when you do it (ie, if you have a track selected, and you change the volume for a *different* track, the track selection should not change.)

Are these manual assignments? Logic comes with native support for these controllers, so you shouldn't need to make or change any assignments for it to work as designed. How do you have the controller setup? Did it always work like this, or has the behaviour changed?

Hi Des99,

Thank you again for your consideration, it's much appreciated.👍

Sadly, Korg's logic controller doesn't work properly in newer versions of Logic. Mackie control and assigning buttons works great, except for the faders selecting tracks. This is a new device for me, so I'm just trying to get it working properly.

*** I did more research and found someone using the nanoKontrol2 in Mackie Control with Ableton. They had the same issue the volume faders switching tracks. In the thread, someone found midi remote scripts and wrote a script to prevent Ableton from changing track focus, which fixed the problem. The thread didn't say if they were running Mac or PC. The script looked like this:

self.song().view.selected_track = all_tracks[self.__assigned_track_index()]

I'm continuing to see if I can find something similar for Logic Pro, to prevent track focus. Along the way, pursuing ideas from other threads which might lead me out the rabbit hole. 

All the best,

James_H

Edited by James_H
typo

Hi Des99,

These were the first settings I tried. You'd think disabling the "Touching fader selects track would work", but unfortunately no. It was amazing when Logic Pro added the ability to create key commands to open instrument and plug-in windows. However, I think this is my nemesis. Focused track is written into these key commands and with the windows opening when tracks are selected by the faders, lends to me thinking this is the source of the issue.

Thank you. Your suggestions lead me to find the thread with the script solution. I'll keep searching and post if I find a solution. 

All the best,

James_H

Key commands Logic.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Yep, technology these days... I'm still running Monterey on my laptop while some 3rd party software catches up.

It's not pretty, but it works. I leave an audio track's first plug-in insert empty, so when I move a fader it doesn't bring up a window. It still brings up the instrument window on a midi track, but I bounce these to audio before mixing.

It still switches tracks when moving faders, but I don't have a series of plug-in windows opening as I move faders.

For $100, it's a pretty good midi controller. USB powered, portable... and it's been working well as far as assigning buttons. If I was mixing/mastering for a living, I'd certainly consider the SSL series or Avid. 

Thank you again for your consideration... 👍

All the best, James 

Edited by James_H
typo

Can you monitor the MIDI traffic with Snoize MIDI Monitor, and see what happens when you move a fader? If it's first sending a "touch" event to select a track, and then a fader event to control the fader on the selected track, you might be able to modify the handling. You could try on one fader modifying the assignment in your screenshot to remove the "Touch/Release" message, and see if that affects the behaviour...

• Like 1

Hi Des99,

Apologies, turns out I made a rookie mistake...

I had a Native Instruments driver installed. Once I had the nanoKontrol2 working well enough, I went to see about also having the NI keyboard working. After a bit of testing, I found with no NI driver, the windows don't open when moving NK2's volume faders, but moving the faders still switches tracks. 

The NK2 is working well in Mackie Control, with programmed buttons. The NI keyboard is working as it should with Komplete Control and as a midi keyboard in general. Thank you for suggesting Snooze Midi Monitor, it looks like a good utility. At some point I'll see if I can stop the tracks from switching, but for now I'm happy with the setup and also very tired of beta testing for NI and Korg...

Thank you again for your consideration. You definitely provided some good avenues to consider.

All the best,

James

Edited by James_H
  • Like 2